Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Katamari Damashii (PS2 game)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 09:23
Anyone played this game? I think it's only available in Japan (which is convenient for me because I live there), but it's absolutely fantastic!

http://katamaridamacy.jp/
http://download.namco-ch.net/katamari_movie.mpg

It's a really, really simple game... basically you have this sticky sphere with "knobs" on it, and you roll it around, picking up stuff on the ground. at first you are only 5cm tall, so you can only pick up thumbtacks, etc. but as you pick stuff up you get bigger and bigger, and can pick up bigger and bigger things. soon you are picking up the family cat, the tv, dishes, etc.

keep going, and you can pick up the whole house!

anyway, the game is just so impressive, almost anything in the level can eventually be picked up...

So how do you think it was made? I'm curious about the ball-rolling physics, as well as the level design...

my guess is that is uses a modified LOD system, that keeps track of ALL objects in the level... each object has a set size/mass, and they use some formula to calculate if your ball is big enough to pick up the object... either way, the graphics system must be really impressive, because it goes from a thumbtack being pretty large on the screen, to an entire building shown the size of the thumbtack.

any ideas on how this engine was accomplished?

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 13:22
nope, never heard of it... but judging from the movie i guess it could be a really interesting game.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 13:22
yeah, it's ridiculously fun.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:32:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:32:34