Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Totally stupid and boring newbie question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys,

I'm a total newcomer to Dark Basic (I only saw the Demo by now, but I intend to by the boxed classic package next payday), and for what I've seen it's capable of quite something. I always wanted to do my own RTS game someday, and now it seems possible... C++ was always too complicated for me. Anyway... I should start somewhere, right? But not with a big project like a RTS game. Well, I thought of making it 3D based then.

But what do you advise me? I mean where to start? What should I do first? What kind of "game"? I'm through with "Hello World" and a little game to guess a random number the computer picked. Now I wanna do something totally stupid and simple, but I'm looking for some advise of the experts here.

I'm a total newbie, so don't hurt me... [ouch! ouch! ouch! hehe!]

Thanks for your help guys!

Funny Sig. here.
comando 300
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2004 01:21 Edited at: 21st Apr 2004 01:22
Quote: "I mean where to start?"

Reading the manual and the tutorials

Quote: "What kind of "game"?"

An easy retro game as Pong

There's a sticky post tutorial called "My First Pong Game".

CURRENT PROJECT: RETRO PAC-MAN
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2004 02:01
did you say classic?
Go with PRO, trust me.

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2004 02:20
try the dev network tutorials (under the community option above). The Binary Moon tutorials are excellent.

BatVink
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
AMD 3000+ Barton, 512K Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:34:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:34:09