Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / In-Game Animation and Char Model Animation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 01:00
im using the trail version of darkbasic and milk shape(both shoudl be paid on next pay check) and one of the things i was wondering about is how to make in game animation...like how do you get the charactor to run when your moving...and jump when you jump and ect i am slightly familure with milk's animation and i can get chars to move though...but im lost after that...and also how do you do like in game movies...i dont mean like .avi but as in having the "bad" guy walk and move his hands and talk to the fellow bad guys to give off the story....thanks for any help you guys have
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 01:39
well, about the in game movie part, you pre-animate all the objects, then in the actual game, you have like a cut-scene where the player cannot control the game anymore ( camera, objects, etc are all controlled from the cut-scene function), in the cut-scene function, you position the characters and camera in the way you want, play the talking animation ( waving hands, kicking the air etc) and you've got a cut-scene.

there is a way though you can setup all the animations in a 3D modelling program and play it all in dark basic ( i.e. withough having to use the newxvalue and others to move objects during a cut-scene).

hope that helped

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
AnimEdge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 06:18
oh so what do you mean by animation it? do you mean i would have to move his hand and stuff within darkbask itself? i know i could probly get the whole object to move but i dont knwo how to get his one hand or something to move within darkbasic? how about your own char move ments...like when you push forward thhe will walk forward and stuff...do you have like have it reload the model and stuff...as you can tell im rather new you know a good tutorial that will explain all these kinda things so i dont have to waste to many peoples time?

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 15:05
ok, lets take it from the top. You need a 3D modelling and animating program, e.g. anim8or (free - www.anim8or.com) , 3dsmax (xpensive - www.discreet.com). After getting one, you can make and animate your characters. Once you have done that then you can load them into dark basic and just play or loop your animations. You can animate any type of movement, like the smoking, walking, wavin hands etc and then just play them back in Dark basic.

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
wrong, you cannot export the animations of objects with anim8or.. you can make and export objects but not animations unless in avi or bitmap as far as I remember, I wish it would but it doesn't.. in DB v1, I had to manually code the movement using the limb command sets and set the animations of player objects through the frames I made for the different movements..

In DBP the most usefull animation commands seem to have been removed.. I am yet to try any with it to date.

1ghz Cel,512 sdram 133,Gf2 MX 400 64,SBL 5.1,Win98
Best Upcoming MMOG - http://WWW.Atriarch.com
Project: Card Game with No Name
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 17:53
wow man, hardcore, you actually code you animations i use 3dsmax and don't really know much about anim8or, just heard of it

Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
um if you saw the animations they are not that hard core really hehe, but it is an answer to not having a program I can import models to and export the anims from, trouble now is with DBP it seems harder to do the coding for object animations as some of the main commands I used are obsolete.. I havn't really played with it much as object limbs seem to be weird in DBP I am hoping patch 4 will sort that out.

AnimEdge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 06:08
ok so you can do both pre done animation and in DB itself...i cuuretly use Milk Shape becouse its cheap and seams to be very effective...does that suport premade animations? is there a tuturual that will teach me how to do in game ones? i saw a script in the newbie section where in the script it showed like...oh here it is:

it shows load object and as a goblen and to default load it as idel and kinda "load" for later use crouch walk attack and die...are those animations? i know those are self char and enemy type...like when later on the script when you tell it to walk it will use the walk.x model to walk and ect...cuz then i could make the preanimations and have them use that then....hmmm...still woudl like to know more about the ingame animation stuff...thanks for all of your help

Jinks
Years of Service
User Offline
What works and what does not work in animation in DBPro? I couldn't animate anything with premade keyframes until now, and I'm not about to start animating with limbs movement. Does that even work though?

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 11:29
hmm, i find animating in dark basic very difficult so i don't even bother you have to animate limb by limb, and to do that effectively you will have to virtually come up with your own mini-animating program using dark basic. from the code:

- when i load an object, i normally make a static version (object with no animation) as my loaded object, in this case however, they loaded a animated object as default.

- append takes all the animation data and puts it in your loaded objects, so append object "Die.x",n,400 takes all the animation data from a file called Die.x and fixes the animations at frame 400 +

this is the method i use!

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 14:08
In my dev teams game, we have come up with a REALLY great ending, but I cant tell you. We are planning on having a reaaaaaly nice FMV to end the game. Should be AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL (oooooooook that sounded strange)

hehhehhe I get all tingly just thinking about it!

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
DarrylKev
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello All

So how (and what program) are files likr the ones in this code from hexgear's message made.

Load Object "Idle.x",n
Append Object "Crouch.x",n,100
Append Object "Walk.x",n,200
Append Object "Attack.x",n,300
Append Object "Die.x",n,400

I ask because I just spent the last few days work and a charge on my Amex to get a program that I thougth would do this and it can't.

DarrylKev

AnimEdge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 23:40
last two lost me....

so they loaded idel as defalt so doing nothing he idels...and then they loaded with apended walk 200 so when you use goblen you tell it to like when the charactor goblin moves it used the 200th frame to walk and if he dies it used the 400th frames right? and all taht is agged on later in the scripting(to make him do that when he walks ect) so if thats true i guess i could figure out that...and from what you guys said ingame animation is not even worth trying....so i guess i have two thuings left to ask....does milkshape allow you to save anmations to be used and if so how would i do that(tutorial would be nice)? and would i have to make a seperate like .avi file making the animation with a sepret progam and then loading that in via .avi and have it play like it was a in game scene? though i would rather do it all in game and not have to do that...hmmm
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 03:15
ok boys and girls lets take it from the top

- you use a 3d modelling program such as anim8tor, 3ds max, milkshape etc to create your models (models have extension .3ds etc depending on program used)

- if your gonna add animations to the model then you have to convert your files somehow to the .x format (like the one's in the example.)

- i'd suggest saving a static model (model with no animation) for your default

- you then load your default model (alos in the .x format) into dark basic, remeber that it has so animation data.

- the append command takes all animation data from a selected file and adds it to another selected file

- you make your animations, for example, crouch, run, punch etc and export them out of your modelling program in the .x format (if not possible then look for a format converter on the net or use the db one, it's for .3ds to .x).

- your animations all have a certain number of frames, maybe 20, 30 etc, when you append an animation to a static, you start from frame 1, so adding say a crouch animation (20 frames) to a static goblin model, would occupy frames 1 to 21.

- Now adding another animation (appeding), say run (20 frames) would add to that above, so it takes up frame 22 to 32. It just goes on and on.

I don't really know much about milshape, sorry! The thing about making .avi's is that they take up a lotta space, especially when making a v.good one, making ingame cutscenes is the best way to me (however using .avi's are worth it if placed as the intro or outro scenes).

Now, when i make in-game cut-scenes i give each of the characters a special animation, say talk, fidget, wave hands, kick the air etc, i then call my cut-scene function which positions my objects in the correct order (facing each other), loops their animation (talking to each others), add some sounds, or text showing what there saying, add some camera fx like orbiting around the conversation (using simple sin, cos functions) and hey presto, you have a very simple cut-scene hope that helped.

Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
For the record, it is not hard to do animation in DB, it is time consumeing though, you have to try alot of things out to get where you need to go, I have unfortunatly got rid of alot of anims I made that I wasn't using or hadn't used for a while, here is the only one I have left which relates to a worm moving, the worm consists of a head and 11 body segments and 2 eye's, all the animation does is hunch the back (more like a catapilar movement really but hey it's a game..) and then unhunch it again, returning to the original position ( lying flat.) it is effective enough for the worms basic move and should give some idea how to do small anims with DB, All you do is load the object, position it and set the objects pivot, the pivot means that all work you do on the object (work= calls to position limbs) is related to the poss it has once this commands used.., the codes pretty easy to understand ( I think ) so I will post the model loading and setting parts, the animation it self and how I use this in the main loop, I hope it helps clear up how to animate in DB, this is for DB v1 though I am yet to try it in DBP as I am waiting on patch 4 for the new object handling system, I think the objects report weird limb numbers back at present (they have so far when I have tried..) so it would be unwise to bother to much in DBP, this all works fine in DB v1 though. any probs or further help required in this area, I am happy to help where I can but I really am not brilliant with it..

I hope this is not to messy to understand.. good luck.

AnimEdge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 06:56
Thanks Hex! that is basicly everything i wanted to know so .x does whatever it saved to when it called apon...animations, nothing so i can use that when its called apond cuz apend kinda combinds them as one(more or less) by frames that you used right? and for ingame animations you kust make more .x animations and have them conect to each other and loop and stuff to make the animation thanks man...and matto though you kinda lost me cuz i was reading fast thanks for the script ill look through it and figure it out thanks both you guys

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 10:23:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 10:23:05