Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I have 2 questions. Please reply.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 04:26
Ok, my first question is can we make sports games? I wanna make a basketball game. That's really the reason I ordered the gamemaker. My second question was how can I make my own faces instead of the little defaults it has like the apeman and chimps? I chose apeman at first. Oh yeah, and the graphics arent like I expected them to be. I just saw one game that I'm thinkin one of youse made and It sorta looked like gamecube graphics. Please help me out. I'm very new at this.
GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 04:38
Sorry to dissapoint you, but you probley arn't going to be able to make a sports game with Gamemaker... It's mainly just for shoot'em up type games. You can make the graphics better by creating your own 3D models and textures that you can add to you game... I'd recommend downloading the trial version of DarkBASIC and reading the tutorials to get you started with creating games. There is a great tutorial "stickied" to the top of this forum. It has a folder with a green arrow on it and it says "My First Pong Game"...

...Well...I hope I helped

Thou shalt not thwart the way of the dragon. For thou tasteth like chicken.
Somekid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 05:25
ok, that was one of my questions. idk how to make my own 3D models. Can you do it on the 3D gamemaker? I saw screenshots of it and i saw that you could.
GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 05:45
You have to download or buy a program to make your own 3D models. I find Milkshape3D is good (and free). Then you can load those 3D models into your 3D GameMaker Game. (I'm not sure how, I havn't used 3D GameMaker much.)

So... Go to google, yahoo, or another search engine and seach for "Milkshape 3D"... Download the free version... Play around with it for a bit and get used to it. Use the help files if you don't know how to do something. Be warned, 3d modeling takes a lot of time and practice, most people consider it an art. It will take a long time befor you are able to make quality models.

3D GameMaker is used mainly by people who want to make simple games without having to learn code. If you ever want to make high quality games I'd recommend getting DarkBASIC. It's a powerful and easy to learn programming language.

Well... Good Luck...lol

Thou shalt not thwart the way of the dragon. For thou tasteth like chicken.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 07:38
milkshape3d is free trial, then 20 bucks or so

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
Somekid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 08:39
Ok, with darkbasic, can you make sports games or games like super smash bros.? Do I have to order it? And Cattlerustler, when u say free-trial, do u mean like a couple of days to make ur own models, then after, it costs? Man my life is fudged. LOL!! Oh yeah, I hope that its just not the same types as the 3D gamemaker has. I hope that DarkBasic has like all the types of games.
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 12:03
Milkshape- free for 30 days then it costs to register. Theres also gmax for 3d modelling, check that out, and dont forget the nifty products from The Game Creators(look up top at 3d modelling).

DarkBasic- You can make pretty much any type of game if you try hard enough and get enough experience making easier games then working your way up to the harder ones. You can order it, I got my copy from a Fry's Electronics and I also beleive that there are copies at CompUSA, not sure about anywhere else though. But DarkBasic is a bit harder to use, takes practice and patience as you learn what to do and how.

-Vash the Stampede

"This world is LOVE and PEACE!" -Vash the Stampede

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 12:35
Somekid, you need to realise that Dark Basic is a programming language, not a drag-n-drop application. You build everything from the ground up.

BatVink
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Somekid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 21:36
I don't like drag-n-drop. It's boring!!! So Dark Basic is better? With Dark Basic you can make sports, beat 'em ups like ssb, rpg's, and plenty more than I can think of?!?!?
Francesco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 23:39
Yes, hypothetically you can create anything you want(well...almost). It all depends on how good you are at 3dmodeling,programming and so on. When you get good enough, you can get DarkBasicPro, which lets you create more complicated games, but it's more difficult. DarkBasic is though a very easy programming language, and the tutorials that come with it are very useful.
Bye

Non si inalberi mica con me, sa!
Lei è venuto qui, lei ha il tombino intasato!
Siamo uno spurgo serio, noi!
kidsa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 00:38
lol one time i asked how to load a charactwer into your game and some one said there is no people creator in darkbasic even though i didnt ask that i knew there wasnt i just wanted to know how to load my guy that i made.(it was/ anim8or and i know now i just hate when ppl assume you dont know what your talking about)

i used to be kidsa the random one i guess im not as random anymore.

any language used by me will be dbpro(saves me a lot of typing)
Somekid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 03:35
So do you mean that you can't make your own person in DarkBasic? Hope not. And kidsa, I feel ya, I hate it when people do that too.
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 12:35
You can make your own person in DB, its just so much easier to import models made in other programs. Which means that in order to make some of the games you have in mind, you'll need to purchase or download other programs to make the program effectively easy to make and edit. But keep working at making games, get DarkBASIC Pro and learn everything you can off of that. Once you do, you can make some good quality games of about any genre you prefer.

-Vash the Stampede

Need help? Ask me via email, msn, aim, or forums and Ill see what I can do.

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 19:00
Kidsa to be fair sometimes people don't explain what they want in a way everyone can understand so it works both ways that.

It is wrong to assume but not all the incorrect diagnosis of problems or questions are based on assumption but poorly asked questions or ambiguous questions - I know because I've been there and it's hard to explain exactly what the problem is sometimes but it's also hard to answer some questions due to the content of the question.

kidsa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 00:35
ya i nkow but i was clear

i used to be kidsa the random one i guess im not as random anymore.

any language used by me will be dbpro(saves me a lot of typing)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:42:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:42:34