Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / A 3D stickman-action game concept: Funcky fresh or Mega crap?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 18:01 Edited at: 24th Apr 2004 18:04
(Well since there isn't a game design board, I'll write it here)

I have a game in progress that has been in the design stage for a couple of months now and I've been thinking...maybe it's not as great as I think it is.

I am currently writing a design doc for this game, which is pretty big already (30 pages and still not done) and I thought of alot of really cool concepts for this game!

Would anyone even glance at a game featuring 3d shaded stickmen, a humerous storyline, great characters and creative gameplay?

I don't want to give anything anyway...but I really thought this through and came up with a game I never played anywhere. It is called "Gun Godz" which is based on an old comic book me and my friends used to make years ago.

After watching great Flash cartoons like Xiao Xiao I was inspired to create a game where you can control those stickmen. It sounded totally original! Yes I may sound like a mentally challenged noob right now, but I have thought of plenty of gamplay tricks to make this a game different from alot of the other brawlers.

Once I have completed my design doc, I will post it up for all to see and maybe then people will see what I had in mind. Will include:

Philosophy, Feature Set, Game play, The Game World, 3D Rendering, Camera, Game Engine, Collision Detection, World Layout, Game Characters, User Interface, Weapons, Music and Sound Effects, and the hardest part...A.I. And a hell load more!

3 types of gameplay I created:

Hand-to-hand: Basic hand to hand fighting. I sketched some nice looking moves that will be used and created a sort of "Random move generator" that randomly choses a type of kick or punch from an available list during a user's key press.

Disarming: Disarms the enemy of his/her weapon they are holding. Again, I have sketched a dozen or some stylish and immpresive manuvers that I will have to animate. (Where you grab your enemy's gun with both hands, jump in the air, kick him in the chest, and backflip 5 feet away)

Gunplay: Not as immpresive as the rest, but pretty interesting. Still in the design stage.

And then ofcourse there will be running and jumping. A bit of nice features there aswell, one in particular that I called
"Quick-time"
Where you are able to run at a stupidly high speed, leaving a neet motion trail that I sketched, scanned and then assembled in photoshop as a sort of "mock up".

And last, the levels. My approche to level design is going to be very odd to the rest of you, because it is very uncommon...hehe...who needs textures? It makes you think the level is cell shaded when it really isn't...

Anyway enough of me talking,
am I original or just out of my head?
AnDrEy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 18:55
There are many stickmen fighting games- take www.evolver.co.uk as an example, however I never heard of any 3d ones. Stickmen isn't original maybe 3D is, although I think hitting a stickman with bullets would be pretty damn hard in 3d. So I would say some originality but the 3D is new

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 19:26
I think it's a cool idea - make it funny as hell

if bodies are normally way wider than bullets, since you are using stickmen make the bullets and guns Huge! Like one bullet is the size of a standard pillow or something similar size

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 20:58
This is a job for Flash, not Dark Basic. It'd be huge overkill to try to make a game out of it unless the enviornments were far more graphically impressive than the stick man. There's already hundreds of stickmen fighting games out there.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 05:36
QTR, I think you missed the 3D part.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 10:07 Edited at: 25th Apr 2004 10:08
Toss in the rag doll stuff that Wolf is doing with the Tokamak physics library and you could have a lot of fun.

Maybe you can strike a deal with the Stick Death fellows and make a Green vs Blue fps game?
--
TAZ

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 12:41
http://www.lhtimes.com/ragdoll.html

i had another link earlier but i forgot the address i'll put it up when i remember, but it's a game based on XioXio

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5700 60.18 | DirectX 9.0b | CMedia 8620 | Windows XP Professional
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 22:43
Ok..I know stickmen aren't very original...but it's in 3d, and THAT'S what makes it weird. Didn't anyone here watch great hilarious classics like "A Nice Day To Die" or "A True Stick Death", which would be pretty funny when you throw in a storyline, characters and maybe 3d cell shaded cut-scenes from 3ds max? (Which I got all thought out!)

As for the "How are bullets going to hit stickmen" question? Well the stickmen are pretty thick...

Well I know my rammbling is hard to understand right now..so I'll wait till I get my design doc completed.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
More power to ya Megaton.

Who cares if it's original or not? Seems pretty original to me - not TOTALLY original - but it hasn't been done before. So do it.

Good luck.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 10:36
Ooooh, that fighting stick movie was so cool! I believe it's what spawned all those other stick death sites.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 15:36
http://www.stickdeath.com/

and

http://www.sfdt.com/

Stick animation sites. Both banned at my school (These forums are too now . I don't think the admin likes me)

Use em as inspiration or just for a laugh

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 15:58
If you can get a nice round feel to the stickmen then I reckon your idea would be great fun and would look great, especially if you can put more of these guys on the screen than a traditional 1000 poly 512x512 textured model. A nice shiny plastic look on the stickmen would be cool (could be as easy as adding a sphere map to them).

I reckon a massive war between stickmen is just what the PC game scene needs, too many regurgitated PC games around these days.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 20:55
Quote: "I reckon a massive war between stickmen is just what the PC game scene needs, too many regurgitated PC games around these days."

Hehe..just what I had in mind
I knew I could get alot of them on screen at once due to the low-poly models. And I got a pretty good idea about the levels too...
It will take a while thought...once I'm done the doc, some levels, the 2d art (which I'm doing) I'll look for programming help...right now it's just design and brainstorming.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 22:22
http://www.sticksuicide.com i've always prefered that

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5700 60.18 | DirectX 9.0b | CMedia 8620 | Windows XP Professional

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 20:38:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 20:38:46