Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 2D rpg suggestions.....any and all comment welcome!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 08:11
hi,
I have been messing around with 2D rpg scrolling maps for some time now, but have not had any luck......my eventual goal is to have a game with graphics similiar to these (just have alook at these screenshots):

http://www.tibiame.com/screenshots/?language=en

any help on how i would get 2D maps to scroll like these rpg's? any help welcome!!

Thanks,
Bishop

btw- if you have any suggestions concerning graphic drawing and such, please post thanks

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
Try RPG maker. You'll be able to see how its made and maybe that'l give you some ideas. Like the layered tile system. you can edit pretty much everything that a 2d tile based rpg has. Hope that helps

.........what's the point of reading this?
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 08:56
Do you understant the PASTE IMAGE command? Read up on it. In a nutshell, it allows you to place images (background tiles, characters, bitmap fonts, menus, whatever) on the screen in the location that you want.

Scrolling is really an illusion. Nothing is moving. You are simply using a sequence of offsets to create the appearance of movement every time you sync the display.

Making a tiled 2D RPG is a lot about image management. Have you looked at the big RPG tutorial in the Work In Progress section of the forum? That might be a good thread for you to read.
--
TAZ

Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 10:52
hey,
thanks for the replies

dark sephiroth:
i have used rpg maker it is a really cool program, and those are the kind of games that i really want to make, but i see how that really helps me thanks for bringing that up

zircher:
so from what you telling me, is that i can just make a town and have it scroll instead of the player? i suppose i could try that....thanks for the suggestions

thanks all keep the suggestions coming, ill see what i can get

bish

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 11:14
oh and any tips on collision would be helpful.....i dont see how to do sliding sprite collision thanks

bish

NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
for the world you'd probably need three arrays. one for tiles under the player. one for collision and events(this one changes), and one for tiles above the player. You know how to use arrays dont you?

something like this would make a world 100x100 tiles:

assign different numbers used for events(for each tile) like collision, talking, etc... youd have a different number for each object on the map
world_events(100,100)

assign a tile number to each tile under the player (floor)
world_under(100,100)

assign a tile number to each tile over the player (above floor)
world_over(100,100)

hope you find that helpful

.........what's the point of reading this?
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 23:53
i never thought of using arrays to do a tileing system...thanks for the suggestion, ill look into it......

i played around last night and got a sprite moving around a grass field (all using sprites) and it looks rather good.......

thanks for all the help

bish

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:36:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:36:55