Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newbie Desision

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
should i take the time to learn computer programing for darkbasic or just use the "3D gamemaker"

[
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 23:17
Only one answer to this question – take time to learn DB. If you’re sensible about it and follow tutorials before trying to write the next Doom clone then you will be coding in no time!

Based on Amiga PD game Squigs. Early shots: http://www.custardsoft.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/03.png

Stewart
Years of Service
User Offline
thats what i thought you guys would say, but im 14, where do i have the time or brains to learn to code?

[
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 23:22
also be on the look out for FPSC

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 23:50 Edited at: 25th Apr 2004 23:51
i'm 15 i've been coding in dark basic for just over a year, i've got more brains than most people here and lots of free time(its not like school is a full time job, and i also have a pretty rich social life ) its good fun, try it

In the beginning, the universe was created...
This made alot of people very angry and it has been widely regarded as a bad idea...
Visit http://redeye.dbspot.com
Maelstrom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 00:02
@Stewart
Go for DBpro. Once you learn the basics you will suprised at what you can achieve. And if you get stuck you can always post your questions here. The majority of forum users are very helpful.

medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 00:04 Edited at: 26th Apr 2004 00:16
Quote: "thats what i thought you guys would say, but im 14, where do i have the time or brains to learn to code?
"

Well if you start with that attitude then perhaps you would be better of with a point and clicker.

I started coding on the commodore 64 when I was quite young. I wrote my first game on that system in no time. Ok it wasn’t very good but it was a playable game all the same. It doesn’t matter how young you are basic is very easy to learn. Also, a lot of the coders on these forums are younger than you.

If you look at all of the commands db has to offer then yes it does seem quite daunting. But if you concentrate on the core commands of basic then it really is very easy. Once you’ve learned these commands you can look-up specific commands you need to perform various tasks and learn them as you go. God, I don’t understand many of DBPro’s commands but if I ever need them I’ll worry about it then.

When I first got DBC I hadn’t coded anything for many, many years but I still had my knowledge of the basic commands. Within the first week I had written a basic shooter by using the help files to understand the new commands I needed.

Most newcomers around here try to write programmes without that basic knowledge and fail. Then they try again and fail again. It’s very frustrating to see this as it really only takes a few weeks or less to learn the basics.

Anyway, what I’m trying to say is do it right and you will be able to learn db. Follow the many tutorials available and you will be able to learn db. Follow the many examples of excited kids trying to write blockbuster games in there first few weeks and yes you will fail.

EDIT
I started coding before ReD_eYe was born, and he definitely has more brains than me

Based on Amiga PD game Squigs. Early shots: http://www.custardsoft.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/03.png

Stewart
Years of Service
User Offline
ok i'll give it a try, does darkbasic pro have the tutorials and stuff i need? What else should i get?
i have animation:master and that cost me 300$ so i can model, animate, and make textures......should i start with darkbasic or darkbasicPRO

[
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 01:58
dbpro all the way

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 04:00
Quote: "Well if you start with that attitude then perhaps you would be better of with a point and clicker.
"

I hope that didn’t come across in the wrong way. You just need to be positive that’s all.

Anyway, all that rambling aside, the choice is yours. With the 3dGM you will find yourself restricted in what you can do whereas with DBPro you can pretty much do anything you want.

If you go with Pro then you don’t really need anything else to start with as there are many good freeware programmes you can use. You can always buy software when you have a better understanding of basic and are ready to tackle more advanced projects. Also, take a trip down to your local library where you should be able to find books covering basic programming to get you started.

Take some time to search this site. Look at the sticky posts in the various forums as some of them have links to useful tutorials, and don’t be put off if you feel you are not progressing fast enough. It’s important you work at your own pace and fully understand what you are doing before you progress any further. And as has been mentioned, people are on hand to help you should you need it.

Good luck

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
If you need to learn to code, try to get The Beginner's Guid to DarkBASIC Game Programming. After that you pretty much know the basics and you can use the help files to learn the rest.
Dc GameMaker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2004 07:30
hey, jus wanna let you know that im 14 myself. I started on c++ when I was 12 and just went dark basic this year. Anyone can really do it, you just need the time and effort to put in to it. If u want to do this in the future, yoiu best start now, cause you'll have a head start.Good luck!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 07:39:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 07:39:44