Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Gmax and DB or DBP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 12:06
Will Gmax work with DB or DBP?
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 18:16
No.

Having said that... You can export your Gmax files to MD3 (especially with Gmax 1.2). In theory, DBP can read MD3s, but you would be better off converting them to .X or DBO format.
--
TAZ

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 01:11
what i do is this...gmax>md3>milkshape>.x>DB/Pro...it's a long process i know

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
LordAnki
Years of Service
User Offline
what about anim8or
Yu Une
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 07:07
Sorry I won't tuch milkshape, 3DS Max I'd have to cough up a pretty penny. I'm working off of a shoe sting buget,though LordAnki had a good question
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 11:07
Quote: "Sorry I won't tuch milkshape"

You're not using Milkshape for anything other than converting to another file format. I think peeps use Milkshape because the exported files are very DB-friendly.

BatVink
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Yu Une
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2004 22:52
What about Amapi 3D? here's the url [href]http://www.eovia.com/support/support_am.jsp
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2004 01:27
Ampi 3D has 3DS and DXF export so you could use MS3D as a bridge as well or try to use 3DS directly. Given that it is a Nurbs based modeler, the poly count of its models would probably be too high for game use. It's also not cheap at $500 a pop. Better to use trueSpace for that price range.
--
TAZ

Yu Une
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2004 11:23
Thanks.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2004 08:30
Anim8or is pretty good for modelling, but despite its name does not export animation properly.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: KillZone
Web Site Button Does Not Work, Visit Here: http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/index.html
Yu Une
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2004 21:31
This is kind of curious :Export Selected
File menu > Export Selected

Export converts and exports selected geometry to a format supported by your game pack. If you're not using a game pack (that is, you downloaded gmax from a Web site), gmax does not support export.

If you're using gmax dev (the developer-only version), your development team will provide code that lets you export data in the desired format.

Procedure

To export selected objects to a file:

Select one or more objects.

Choose File menu > Export Selected.

Choose an export file type from the Files Of Type list in the file selector dialog.

Enter a name in the File Name field.

Depending on the file type you choose, you might be presented with options available for that export choice. If a second dialog appears, choose the export options you want.

This is token from the Gmax help file.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 10:22
That would be pretty neat if TGC put out a dev pack deal with Gmax so that you could get a game pack for .dbo format, and maybe something new like dbm (dark basic matrix) and dsb (acronym gotten from combining the acronyms DB and BSP?). Otherwise though what Discreet is talking about with "your development team providing code", is that the programmers will have a bunch of 3d file formats written exclusively for their game (md3 mdl, etc.) and that they gave Discreet a lot of money to let them write import/export routines for gmax to make it easier on their artists/level designers.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: KillZone
Web Site Button Does Not Work, Visit Here: http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/index.html
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 17:33
Due to Discreet's licensing, that will never happen.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:50:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:50:03