Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The Two C's of Video Game Design [article]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 17:47
I saw this nice article on GameDev.Net and thought I'd post the link.

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/2cgamedesign/
--
TAZ

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 18:11
IMHO bedroom coders have come up with more original ideas than any number of pro designers have - so I don't think articles like this one really offer anything new or helpful in our cases. For instance, he says:

Quote: "Would you rather people played five hours of your twenty-hour game before getting frustrated and gave up on it or completed your game in ten hours? Replayability is no longer an issue. Nowadays when people have finished with a game they trade it in towards the price of another one. Also renting is becoming more popular. Trying to increase to length of your game by making it too hard is bad practise."

That's really the damning point of the whole article, I don't want to spend months making a game that people complete in one night - and using people selling the games again as an excuse for not bothering making it too long is exactly why the PC games market will keep it's decline.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 18:23
Oki, one thing I will say is check the GameDev forums before ever posting an article from Richard Evans again.
Sorry but the guy is known as the industry retard... which would be oki if his industry was LA Pot Making, unfortunately for alot of people he happens to be the "leading" authority on game design.

i'm not going to say anymore, else i'll end up having a relapse of XGDC 2002 :: shudders ::

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5700 60.18 | DirectX 9.0b | CMedia 8620 | Windows XP Professional
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 18:24 Edited at: 27th Apr 2004 18:25
A good read, i also agree with van.

Quote: "A recent study has shown that 80 percent of games don't get completed."

Heh, i got kinda pissed of with need 4 speed: underground at level 65/101 (or something like that). Strange thing was... no matter what difficulty i put it on my opponents where always hard apart from drag that is, while drag racing "i" was king

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 18:33 Edited at: 27th Apr 2004 18:34
Quote: "Oki, one thing I will say is check the GameDev forums before ever posting an article from Richard Evans again."

Noted, but I wanted to post this link to see what kind of response it would generate. While I don't agree with everything in the article, I thought he made some good observations on creativity and communications.
--
TAZ

[edit for typos]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 21:00:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 21:00:25