Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / FireFox

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 00:37
I'm using the latest version of the firefox browser. The text inside the code brackets dont show properly.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 01:39
Works fine for me in the linux version of firefox 0.8 (worked fine in firebird 0.7 too).

How much ham could a hamster stir, if a hamster could stir ham?
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 02:41
I use Firefox as my regular browser and they work fine on the PC and on Linux.

With our species on the edge of extermination,
with no prospect but a horrible death,
we actually played games.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 03:02
I get it too Phaelax... I did fixx it at one point, as it has to do with the Java version installed; Think you need to install the latest runtime but i can't remember.

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5700 60.18 | DirectX 9.0b | CMedia 8620 | Windows XP Professional
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 03:25
java? is that why it takes 5 minutes for the popup dialog boxes to respond?

"eureka" - Archimedes
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 03:34
not just that but also why they can sometimes have garbled text where the size is all messed up.
there's alot of problems mostly java related.

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5700 60.18 | DirectX 9.0b | CMedia 8620 | Windows XP Professional
Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 04:26
They don't use Java. Just a bit of JavaScript (Which *isn't* the same as Java, but I'm not going to go in to the whole LiveScript/JavaScript history.)

How much ham could a hamster stir, if a hamster could stir ham?
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 11:34
Quote: "Which *isn't* the same as Java, but I'm not going to go in to the whole LiveScript/JavaScript history"

Maybe you should as there's obviously a lot of confusion about that going on here.

Play Nice! Play Basic!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 14:50
Netscape hasn't created any more JavaScript browser plug-ins though.
Java solves the problem as the Runtime has a VM for it now; as I've said I don't remember what version of the runtime does it, but it *A* solution.

If you want to go through the history then do so, it won't change the fact that it is a proven solution.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 15:26
Quote: " Netscape hasn't created any more JavaScript browser plug-ins though. Java solves the problem as the Runtime has a VM for it now;"

Oh, please.

Play Nice! Play Basic!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 15:44
I've recently made the switch to firefox...it's real good.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 16:00
Yes o_O, that's what i've mentioned. But no doubt Empty is going to sit here and be a stuck up idiot as always and then supply 60 internet pages on why i'm wrong even though he has no point what-so-ever just to start another argument.

Installing the JRE 1.4.0 and above fixxes the problem. I don't give a damn how it does it, why it does it, or if it does a little dance every damn time the browser opens.
Simple fact of the matter is it works, end of story.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 17:12
Java (created by Sun) and Javascript (originally created by Netscape) have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with each other.
BTW, I use Firefox, I don't have Java 1.4 installed on this system, yet the code snippets scripts work perfectly.

Quote: "end of story"

Should read "end of fairy tale."

Play Nice! Play Basic!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 17:51
Linux/MacOS/Irix/Unix all have Java installed as standard.
This problem only seems to happen on Windows-Based OSs.

But seeing as your a genius, you explain how to damn well fixx it.
Unlike you I have had this problem with FireFox (and all other Mozilla based browsers), and so I suggested what I did to fixx it.

But really get the hell to work and fixx this guys problem, instead of being an ass all the damn time.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2004 02:34
Your JRE has nothing to do with any potential JS errors on this site. We don't and never will use any Java classes for the core of the site (other than the IRC page).

Validate this by going into the Prefers and turning off Java.

As you cannot update/modify or in any way change the Javascript component in Firefox I can only assume something else is blocking the script executing properly: Firewalls can and often DO block JS scripts from executing, so look at that. Also check you have Javascript ticked and enabled in your Prefs and finally that you're not blocking any of the files our site requires.

As mentioned above, I use Firefox 0.8 exclusively on my PC and Linux box and do NOT have the Java runtimes installed because they're a waste of space to be honest. For me the code snippets expand they way they should and the post box also. The pop-up menus at the top of every page also work and are indeed faster in Firefox than in IE, which just goes to show how good the Javascript component of Firefox is. If you are on a page that doesn't work - try this: Click on the Tools menu and click on Javascript Console and see what errors and warnings you have *related to this site*.

Cheers,

Rich

With our species on the edge of extermination,
with no prospect but a horrible death,
we actually played games.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 10:43
Quote: "They don't use Java. Just a bit of JavaScript (Which *isn't* the same as Java, but I'm not going to go in to the whole LiveScript/JavaScript history.)"

I know, i program in java. But Raven mentions java, not javascript, so I didn't know. But i've reformatted for other reasons, and I'll just stick to the only stable IE version, 5. I just hope I dont accidently "upgrade" it again. 5 never crashes on me, or freeze up. But 6 tends to have lots of small short little lockups.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 19:54
Phaelax as i mentioned to everyone before i'm not even going to pretend i understand why this fixxes the bugs;

In FireFox goto -> Tools/Extensions/Get Extensions ... you'll find Java141.xpi on the list, should be around 8MB; download that and alot of bugs are fixxed.
Some that have nothing to do with JavaScript even, as I noticed alot of CSS fixxes and such, as prior to the upgrade FireFox didn't like the <center> tags; it wouldn't show the correct font sizes, it would refuse to show text in Java/JScript/JavaScript boxes, Flash layers were always ontop of every other layer (prime example is Square-Enix-USA.com) ... after you install everything works like it would in IE (how it SHOULD work in the first place)

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5200 44.04 | DirectX 9.0 | Audigy2 | Crystal Clean OS

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 20:49:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 20:49:02