Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / text2voice, voice2text

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 02:23
Has anybody made any apps converting voice to text?
There's a lot of programs for windows witch does this, which made me wonder if anybody has done something like that using DB?
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 03:14
that would be really hard with years of work and a dedicated design team...it's not an easy programming task
Manson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 14:43
Well, I was thinking of using a non DB prog launched by the DB game, which returns info to the game through a txt file or something like that,,,

Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 19:16
I was just talking to my friend about this today, by some strange coincidence. Spooky...

One way I thought up was to have several .WAV files with short speech samples of every basic sound ("Sh" and "Ish", etc.) and then have an input system that checks the spelling of a word and plays sounds based on what the sentence is. A bit complicated, but it should work.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 06:22
For a voice system that passes what is said externally for game use, Roger Wilco is one of the most commonly used.
Checkout fileplanet for it and follow up the website there for developer information.

Microsoft have also released the SDK for Speech 5.x which is a pretty outstanding speech recognition software.
DarkBasic Enhanced and Pro are both capable of sending and recieve voice.

Vamp, not to burst your bubble but you need to take into account the variation in everyones voice. There is the Microsoft Speech SDK for C++ which if you're really serious about adding that sort of support then is REALLY worth checking out because thats 15years of voice recognition development right there and made easier to understand than they had it

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Steverino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 15:09
VampireEngo, I made a program like the one you describe years ago on the Amiga. Nobody could understand what it was saying except me, and that's mainly because I already knew what it was saying.

Human speech is very slippery the way one sound changes to another. Just playing a series of phonemes in sequence doesn't work. Even stringing whole words together that way sounds quite different from natural speech, as Uncle Weevy will tell you (http://www.stevetiffany.com/uw.html}.

Surrealist writing toy -- http://www.iconpoet.com
Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 17:10
Yup, I guess you're right. But it was just an idea... nothing more.

TheNVS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 17:14
i understand what he is saying but it is a joke!
it really makes me laugh. he says "a guy opens a can of soup for me and i say that that is too serious". its very funny. good work. but i think with some time, it could be made better.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 21:23
text to voice may be posible if you learn about wav files. I am gonna learn about wav files and the special ASCII coding for them.

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 01:26
a voice synthsiser isn't really the difficult part of this... i can give you tonnes of site that can help for that, they've even released the amiga one which was pretty good as open source in C

the problem actually is gettin a computer to understand humans voices as they're not generic, especially with accents. (^_^) be cool to see a DB Voice Synth, but as for recognising voice i'm not so sure about

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 13:32
In fact, I think I will try a voice/text converter program. Might be fun! I can release the source for it too.. Hey, We could have our own open source project on my website.. Anyone wanna help? (E-mail xxxpetratxxx@hotmail.com)

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 14:41
2002 and Microslop cant get voice recognition and speech synthesis as standard component in an install to work like it does on other computer platforms.

maybe a deregulated market place of sound cards did them in.
Who knows there are way better solutions then what they try to force feed you as state of the art.
LMAO

haha

DB1 had some speech commands ready to go but wasnt completed so i heard.

Most of DBs access to speech is reliant on Microsoft Speech Components, unless Lee can find a free licence speech synthesis lying around.

Macs on the other hand, you know its a million times better than anything ive tried on the pc and without 3rd party crap, its in the OS itself.

Dragon dictate on the pc did a funny thing once and recorded the dogs barking, it came out as "and and the the"

After I spent a few hours talking to myself so the computer would know it was me.

After a few attempts I stopped sounding so robotic and just read as I would then it crapped out.

Seems talking like a robot to your pc voice synthesis makes it handle your accent better. pffff thats lame also.

Voice recognition and speech synthesis are all part of the Mac OS from like 7.5.3 we are talking early 1990's.

The mac system doesnt make u say anything to get started nor needs you to recite a paragraph from any novel to know what your voice is like.

You can trigger complicated questions also to return a result.

EG:
what time is it?
is file sharing active?
Did I get any emails?

Its irrelevent of the language also, If u install a spanish mac OS it can decipher spanish just like english.

MS have a long way to go to impress me with there crappy voice functions compared to others I have the opportunity to play with that work out of the box.

TheNVS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 21:51
Steverino,

"for a living, i eat soup.
i need to dance. but before i do, i need to think it over.
me and my friend spend some valuable time together on the streets looking for soup.
the best way to go through life is by eating spaghetti."
with the wierd computer tones of the voice, which makes him sound stupid, it sounds really funny.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!
Manson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 02:55
OK, I just found a usefull prog:
http://www.bytecool.com/command_line.htm

But how do I launch an external app without temporarily quting to windows?
How do I run a 2nd prog in the background?

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 03:58
u can execute other programs but im not sure of the syntax u would require.

Manson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 14:23
The syntax is
execute file <filename>,<input>,<directory>,1/0

But the screen flashes white for a second, how do I avoid that?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 15:27
can't

Steverino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 20:17
nvs_victor,

At some point I want to give UW more variety in what he can say, but he'll always be weird and (I hope) funny.

It would be too large to download, but using multi-word phrases alternating with content words should allow a more natural-sounding voice.

Surrealist writing toy -- http://www.iconpoet.com
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 20:22
-Dragon dictate on the pc did a funny thing once and recorded the dogs barking, it came out as "and and the the"

I used to blow some air on the mike and it used to write almost complete sentences lmao...Almsot scary at time this dragon is.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:16:49
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:16:49