Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Gaming Size concepts....bizarre?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2004 04:02
With ames getting bigger and better..there is a need to keep them smaller. So i did some digging and cameup with this. Quake 2 is around 400mb when its fully installed on your pc....but Quake 2 on the n64 rom....is about 12mb....?
And then there was that kkrieger thing...they called it unreal 2004 in 96kb...
I did some testing and realised that dirfferent file formats(texture and models) offer different sizes. Thats kind of obvious but...oh well..lol.
Anyway...I also found that dbpro is kinda big. really big my model viewer is a couple of lines of code and its over 1mb.
whereas a full verge game(graphics included is aboutthe same)...
hmmm....
any ideas on this topic.

Stiyyiille
A concept of greatness
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2004 04:57
Quake2 for the PC and N64 would be an entirely different game. I mean, it would have had to have been coded completely differently for the N64...

For the produkkt, that uses a brand new method of graphics which has been deveolped over the past 4 years by a dedicated group.
An easy way to think about their method is that their game engine compared to a normal engine is what MIDI is compared to WAV, ie, it is purely instructions rather than actual graphics, or actual models etc.

The DBPro exe's are large because each exe compiled includes ALL the DBPro DLL's, so even a one line program that is 'Print "Hello World"' is gonna contain DLL's for 3D etc etc.. which significantly boosts the size of the exe.

But, hopefull in U6, this will be fixed so that you only need to include DLL's in the exe that are actually necessary...

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
Lascerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2004 05:41
the compression is kind of a problem too. all thses tiny games sem to have a major slow down. Well roms are emulated so...thats understandable but the Produkkt...is kinda slow..do yyou think there size\speed\power ratio is worth it?

Stiyyiille
A concept of greatness
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2004 06:25
Size use to and sometimes still is a problem but for the most part 40gb hard drives are becoming the standard of the computer world so the problem of space is becoming less and less. I myself have a 200gb hard drive... and am still trying to fill it .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 21:10:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 21:10:04