Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] DarkBasic games for PS2?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2004 04:07
I heard somewhere that you do something to DarkBasic to make DarkBasic games work on a PS2 system. What is it that you do?

Dont worry and keep a cool head.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2004 04:15
Trust me, if you could get DB/DBP games onto the PS2, it'd be in big bold letters on the TGC homepage. (Of course, TGC would need sony's permission....)

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2004 04:16 Edited at: 30th Apr 2004 04:16
Quote: "I heard somewhere that you do something to DarkBasic to make DarkBasic games work on a PS2 system. What is it that you do?"

It's quite simple really. There's only 4 steps.

1) Take a jar of ether.
2) Open the jar.
3) Inhale heavily.
4) Dream on.

PS. Your source is on crack.

Quote: " Timesoft - Your wife is death. How? NO idea.
But it is murder. REVENGE!!!!!!!!!"

Hands down the funniest synopsis for a game ever. All your base are belong to us!
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Kequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2004 04:44
I heard that you can use the Linux system to somehow do it.

Dont worry and keep a cool head.

Trowbee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2004 04:51
DB uses DirectX, a windows only feature. Linux wouldn't be able to run it.
Metamophic
Years of Service
User Offline
but if you are interested in developing for ps2, you should look into the ps2 linux kit(goto playstation.com).

www.freewebs.com/metamorphicsoft
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2004 04:55
It would be possible to achieve it for DarkBASIC, remember it is only a Virtual Machine language; It would require someone to recompile the Windows EXE VM into a Playstation SCE VM along with changing alot of the calls ... but it would be no different than someone adding OpenGL as a replacement to DirectX in DBP.

This said if you had said DarkBASIC Professional then that's a totally different story. TGC would have to add support themselves.

I believe what you heard about Console support was that there is a Windows EXE to X-Box XBE converter on the net which allows you to convert any windows project to the X-Box.
Natively the X-Box uses Dx 8.1 though, 9.0 is possible to be supported but you would need the runtime libraries that are supplied with the XDK 2.0 ...

That all said it is just possible, does not mean that there is currently a simple solution to achieve it like clicking the 'Build SCE' or 'Build XBE' option.
Personally I hope after the FPSC and Update 6 ... TGC will finally sit down and redevelop the core language so it has a better core language with more functionality as well as adding in support to only compile the commands it uses and needs.
That way allowing us to have .lib for compile explicit and .dll for full library compiles.

Wouldn't even need a runtime then like has been suggested.

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5700 60.18 | DirectX 9.0b | CMedia 8620 | Windows XP Professional
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2004 05:20
Quote: " DB uses DirectX, a windows only feature. Linux wouldn't be able to run it."

I HATE reading this every time there's a DB+linux post. Wine does the Direct X emulation to a point. Nothing against the poster (postee?) though. I have managed to make DBC programs work, and I trust soon DBP programs will run too.

Trowbee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 04:55
postee, haha. Nice spin on my username there .

Maybe I wasnt specific enough when I posted it (extremely long day, I was kinda tired at the time).

OK, so yes, Linux can run it using Wine/Winex (dont hold me to specific names). I was pointing out that, as far as I knew (having not really looked into porting DirectX onto a console or Linux), DirectX uses Windows only files, restricting it to Windows.

Fair enough though, you got DBC to work on Linux, so I stand corrected and so on (and promise never to speak of it again )

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 21:13:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 21:13:08