Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Laser Vision

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 03:55
This sounds awesome: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3647437.stm

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 04:17
I want one!!!!!

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Hm. The future is now, I suppose.

Frankly I can't wait for it.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 04:36
Now that is just plain AWESOME!!! I can't wait until I can get one. Just think of how much more fun games could be with that system...

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
And potentially damaging. Imagine that you're in your room playing with one of these things, and you see a soldier come in through your door. You go to punch him and hit right through to, oh, say, you're wall.

That might hurt. Lol.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 08:34
LOL, HZence, but I see your point... There always has to be a bad side to something good, huh?

Cookyzue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 08:41
cool....i really want one....but how much will they be!!!!

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 12:52
I think you guys got the wrong end of the stick there. It *doesn't* give you x-ray vision - It's a system that uses your retina as a tiny projection screen.

The battlefield scenario would just show you battlefield intelligence, not the placement of an enemy the other side of a wall, and it overlays, not replaces - kinda like a hud in an fps.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 13:12
I think you misinterpreted one of the previous posts IanM, although it's used as a HUD for like the mechanics, etc. One possibility mentioned was that it could also be used for gaming, obviously the transparency would be turned off (which no doubt will be made possible) so you could have some VR-style games.

I believe HZence's post was making a scenario of if you were playing a VR game and while in-game a soldier was nearby and you go to punch him, you may accidentally hit a wall (because you're watching a game and not Real life). If such a system comes into existance (I would imagine you'd have one of those tech gloves or something for input) then you'd have to have an open space around you so this doesn't happen.

Quite a few years off but it would be pretty cool if it does happen though.

Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 13:19
I just hope it's not potentially damaging to the retina though.

Quote: "The first generation product, called the Nomad Expert Technician System, consists of a wireless computer and a hi-tech monocle, costing around $4,000."

Makes the Alienwares look cheap...

ROFLMAOOL!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 13:26
@Exeat, yes, I guess I misinterpreted HZences post.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 13:43 Edited at: 1st May 2004 13:53
Quote: "@Exeat, yes, I guess I misinterpreted HZences post."

lol, I've done that plenty of times.

Quote: "I just hope it's not potentially damaging to the retina though."

Yeah they claim it's not because the power of the laser is so low and that it's constantly moving, then again, who knows. They said X-Rays were harmless at first as well.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 14:48
Anything that creates moving images that close to the eyes is bound to the user a rather large headache.

The place for all great plug-ins.
The Coding Area - From my brain to your browser...
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 15:39
Hello Star Trek holodecks!!! 300 odd yeras early, too! Anyways, if there were games, how would you play in any environment? If you were playing in an enclosed space ansd all you can see is a fake wall 10 metres away, whats to stop you walking across a fake empty floor andtripping over a coffee table, possibly smashing the laser thing and sending shards of mirror into your eye and bits of laser.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 15:54
That's why I said it would have to be done in an open space In addition, I don't think walking would be done by actually walking, I'd imagine they would have a set of pedals or something else for that. I'm sure someone will come up with an innovative but effective way to represent walking without that happening!

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 18:13
Like walking on a ball, linked to a computer, that is suspended inside a sort of column so you cant lose balance and fall off. You have a thing that clips round your waist like a belt that is connected to the frame of this column so you are always kept steady. This way you could feel the sensation of moving round, the ball works like a mouse ball and sends info to the computer telling it to update your position in the gameworld.

Whaddaya think?

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 20:57
I like the idea, and I'm sure it'll be useful in the future, but right now I'll be damned if it dosen't damage your eye, even if in small amounts-- and it probaly gives you godawful headaches too.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2004 15:24
yep, I'd have to agree with Mouse there... It's gotta nail the retina after even only a little useage...

But, on a slightly different note.
I read not too long ago that using a VR headset and a GPS system, members of some university were able to use the VR headset along with the GPS system to build a virtual world of the courtyard of the university, then place in doom style enemies, and, along with a gun attached to the VR set, it was possible to play a doom style of game in the courtyard of the university, but in a totally VR environment ( still using the actual surroundings as the scenery ).

I'm not too sure where I read this, it may have been a link for HowStuffWorks.com ... but I'm not too sure.

It was quite an effective method too. The GPS'd track where the player was, and the VR set would be updated accordingly, etc etc. Looked pretty good.

Also, I've seen useage of this "Laser Vision" system before. It was like a VR phone book directory. It again worked in correlation with GPS to determin position, and censors in the headset ( looked much like the one shown on the link by Exeat ) determined which direction you were facing, and put up a little display with Building names, addresses and Phone numbers. I'm not sure what other uses it was put to, but that was the main on I remember.

Again, I'm afraid I don't have a link for this

Thanks.
Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2004 16:20
Wow, sounds like theyre secretly making VR games without telling the public...

VR is inevitible - its the next step up from sitting there with a controller hammering buttons. Cant wait til it goes mass market (wont be anytime in the near future I reckon) and think how much theyd cost!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 20:47:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 20:47:21