Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / An internet fax problem, looking for a very common device that no lomnger sees to exist.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 18:43
I will soon be upgrading to broadband. I,at the moment have two
lines, a fax and internet line, and a phone line.
The fax is currently handled by the computer and it's printer, no fax machine involved.
Of course, as soon as i get broadband there will be no need for the internet line. however i will still need to use the computer for faxes.
I want hook up the computer to the phone line, using the modem iI now use for the internet line. However hooking up the computer to the phone line will prevent me from being able to make phone calls.
Also i want to keep my old phone number, though my fax number can change.
So, to keep on using the phone, and the computer as a fax machine i can

A.Use a spliter to analyze the incoming call and divert it to either the computer, if its a fax or to the phone, if its a call
or
B.Use software to route all calls through the computer, and then use the computer as a combined fax and telephone.

I don't want to use a combined fax and phone because they are expensive, and more importantly print off all spam that hits them,
meaning pages and pages of waste each day.

However i cannot find the software, or the splitter, after a full days worth of searching.

If anyone knows where i can find one of these devices, or an alternative, such as routing the call through the phone then please tell me.

I'm Right and Reality is lying
Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 19:24
If you're in the UK, then consider using PlusNet as your ISP. Their service includes a free fax-to-email feature (it'll mean using a new fax number though).

How much ham could a hamster stir, if a hamster could stir ham?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 19:33
forgive me but don't mostly all fax modems have a pass-thru port for plugging in a telephone, so when the fax modem isn't in use you can use the phone line and phone that plugged into the modem?

** DBP_NETLIB_v1 PLUGIN - FULL VERSION RELEASED! ** Mooooooo!
UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 23:50
Hmm yes we do have one that has a second port. However there is no dial tone. The ports are plugged in correctly though

UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 23:53
It may be that feature needs to be enabled. Any suggestion

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 20:49:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 20:49:18