Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / IP Adresses on Networks

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2004 16:25
A while ago someone mentioned you could use 'net send' to send a message over an RM network providing the admin hadn't disabled it, egerly I set out to try it and to my horror, found that my schools admin isn't as stupid as I thought.

Fastforward a few weeks to last monday, I decided to write a simple chat program (not in DB) and last night I went through the first BEta testing - I went through about 5 different versions each one being better than the last with the final being a succesful 4 way conversation with only two small bugs - both of which I've sorted today!

Now the problem with my program at the moment is it relies on using a single IP address - mine - which I have to change each day in the program. What I want to know is, do networked RM computers retain their IP address even after they are switched off? If so then I can just use the IP address of my computer in school, if not then...Well then I'm going to have to find a way to work around it...

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2004 16:49
IP addresses are either static or assigned by a DHCP server, this will depend entirely upon how each individual network is configured and therefor we cannot answer your question directly.

One solution to your problem, other than waiting a few days and seeing if you school PC changes it's IP# is to put a .txt file in a place that does not change - on an internet web site perhaps, or similar place - and store the IP# of todays host computer in the text file.

Whilst you wont be allowed to run your chat program on that net server, all free web sites allow you to store files although with some you might have to pretend that it is a .zip file (just by giving it the wrong filename extension). So if all the client machines you want to chat on have net access this could prove a slightly easier to implement daily solution.

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2004 16:55
I won't need to host the chat program on the net, theres a server and a cient program so all I have to do is run the server program and all the clients connect to that - which would be a problem but as my entire year has IT lessons at the same time (and this is the only time we actually get to use the computers) It wont matter so much.

Thanks for the idea abou storing the IP address of the host somewhere else, I'll try it! But its a bank holiday monday! So I have to wait 2 days!! (Wow im complinag about a holiday...)

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2004 16:55 Edited at: 2nd May 2004 16:56
Dear god, you fool! I did the exact same thing, with net send. To my horror, it ended me up with an 8 page paper due (by hand), two weeks of no computer access (and more - argh), and two after school detentions.

Have fun!

~Morph/Kanzure
Operation7
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2004 18:03
Really?? For sending a message??? What was it, something against a teacher or the school?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 15:49
The firewall could be a deciding factor - most firewalls need each networked PC to have a static IP address so that the firewall can allow access over a certain band. For example you might set your firewall to allow IP addresses from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.255 - then each PC will have an IP address in that range and be able to bypass the firewall, automatic IP addresses would be blocked.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 21:21:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 21:21:42