Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / My first RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 04:22
Well i don't know where i should start on an rpg? Could someone help me
Cypher Hax0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 04:40
you should post what version of Dark Basic you have DBC or DBP.

Anyway, if youre making a 3D one you should first learn about Matrices and how to move objects if its 2D then youll have to learn how to make sprites move, how to use frames and more.

so start off learning basic stuff that will help you to building up your RPG
Towelie
Years of Service
User Offline
Asuming you know how to code it, you should definatly start with the story, then make the shell, then models and coding and stuff (don't know exactly as I am very new to dark basic but i've used simpler things to make RPG's)
doom on cats
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2004 04:29
My language is darkbasic classic.
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2004 04:42
i would do the exact opposite of what Towelie said....i would make a basic level, town, whatever, just to see if you can do it, then add on as the plot developes....

just my opinion(no offense Towelie)
Bish

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
Jacava
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2004 10:57
I'm new to this as well. I only got DBC on Saturday. I've started to make my own RPG, and I've started off with a simple battle system, adding a shop and a hotel later, and then I'm going to move on and add skills and magic to battles, then create the story around it all.

You don't have to use my suggestion, but this is the way I found it easiest.

"There is no reason for life. I am only here to be here."
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 10:28
RPGS in classic are a bit of hard work.

In order to attain the multiple handling of the same kid of objects you will need to learn arrays and manage a lot of them which is a headache.

If you stepped up to pro you can manage a myriad of objects quite easily with types and arrays or typed arrays in a lot cleaner less mind numbing process.

Having stepped down this path for a long time I know that from pure trial and error.

arrays example psuedo code

MonsterNumber(x) = 4
MonsterHitpoints(x) = 54
MonsterArmourClass(x) = -2

typed array example psuedo code

Monster(x).Num = 4
Monster(x).Hitpoints = 54
Monster(x).ArmourClass = -2

this way only one array needs to be created to manage the whole monsters statistics and less drama when you need to manage a new array for each aspect of the same Media component ( monsters) in this regard.

fall down seven times, stand up eight
Social Disease
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 09:51
I'm doing a rpg as well. I started with the huge dungeons tutorial on the dbpro site, and am putting together the 3D engine that i will use.

Once I have figured out how to do everything I want to do, I'll probably re-code to make it cleaner, then start developing a plot, characters, so forth.

The reason I'm doing it this way is I find it easier to get the technical stuff out of the way, have a clear idea what I can acomplish from a coding side. Once I have that, the creative juice starts rolling, and if it takes me somewhere I need more code, I can always write more later!

Anyway, that's my two bits worth. I do recomend starting with that Huge Dungeons tutorial though, lots of good stuff! Good luck Idiot, you'll find the journey difficult, but rewarding I think.

Think Gad fro Spill Chock!
Spaceman Spiff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 01:46
I agree that you should make your editor and engine first. But that doesn't mean you can't write your story on paper while you are coding.

Good luck with all your RPGs guys.

Takes one to know one
SubNova
Years of Service
User Offline
Am I still in your projects?

Death by skill, not by force.-Iron Condor

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:30:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:30:43