Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Virus Alert... Sasser Worm for those who don't know...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Apparently there's a worm going around that you don't have to click any attachments or anything to be infected. From what I read on MSN News all you have to do is be online.

Here's a link for the Microsoft page about this...

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 21:30
ya i saw this on my yahoo news thingy (it says that if you don't have a "virus protection" program then it can infect you within 10 mins )

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 21:47
Yes I believe it is an IP virus, so rather than having you do something to download it, it tracks your IP to your computer and downloads itself. Very scary for us cable modem users, you only have to have your computer on to be infected. Not quite sure of the effects of the virus or the effectivity of damage it causes, but Im sure it'll be taken care of promptly.

-Vash the Stampede

Need help? Ask me via email, msn, aim, or forums and Ill see what I can do.

Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Apparently the damage it causes is much like the blaster virus.

And I too have cable, and it is a scary thing. I'm suprised I didn't get it, as my computer was on all last night and I was online all last night. And I don't have any virus protection software

Needless to say, I downloaded the update and checked for it, and I'm worm free.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 22:18
From the MS description this is the virus that forced me to reset my computer up not long ago.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 22:23
all patched up now. thanks for the info

* DBP_NETLIB_v1 - PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click LogoMooooooo!
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2004 20:27
it uses a windows bug to d-load itself

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2004 20:46
I laugh at all those infected - surely there have been enough warnings about this sort of thing to get people to install & update anti-virus programs and Windows.

The place for all great plug-ins.
The Coding Area - From my brain to your browser...
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2004 21:02
he he, its made the 6:00 news.

code2kill

DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 15:46
If only Linux wasn't so intimidating...

I swear, i'll start soon. Soon as i work up the courage.

Oh, i meant to ask: Should i get a different computer for Linux, or is it worth Dual booting it with XP? Both options are avaliable to me, and price is'nt really a problem. As i mentioned before, i have more spare parts than working parts. What say you?

-Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Postponed
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
This new virus is getting worse!!! I'm getting 4 a day now. there is one which AVG cannot see as well, which I had to delete myself. It tried to stop me by freezing the computer.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 17:25
they cuaght the guy who made it!

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah I saw that. I had one today that disguised itself as Windows Media Player.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 17:48 Edited at: 10th May 2004 17:48
short read

Quote: "German High School Student Arrested For Writing Sasser Worm

By David Fiedler, Editor, InternetWeek

A clandestine flight to the northern part of Germany on Thursday night yielded the hoped-for results: the arrest of a young German for writing the Sasser worm as well as a number of variants of the Netsky virus.

That's when Sascha Hanke, a security expert at Microsoft Germany, met with a number of informants who showed Hanke enough of the original Sasser source code to convince him that they were close enough to the author to identify him. He has now been identified as Sven Jaschan, an 18-year-old technical high school student of Waffensen, Lower Saxony.

The informants are suspected to have come forward as a result of a reported 250,000 euro reward offered by Microsoft for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the Sasser author. And though Jaschan faces up to 5 years' prison under German law for "computer sabotage", he only turned 18 on April 29 and was therefore charged as a child, not an adult. He also may be subject to leniency due to the full and detailed written confession he reportedly made to police."

heh, child.

* DBP_NETLIB_v1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 19:10
I'm amazed that people still get bitten by this kind of thing.

Almost all the virii that I have seen in the past year or so only work because very few people observe basic net security precautions like:

A) Setting up a Firewall (which takes 10 minutes max)
B) Not using Outlook or Outlook Express as an email client (again, 10 minutes to download and install Thunderbird)
C) Not using Internet Explorer as a web browser (the current version of IE will happily download and run ActiveX controls and other add-ins which can do whatever the hell they please without warning the user.) - Fix = Use Firefox instead.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Just got my first ever Firewall!!! Seems better now!

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 21:08
Since using ADSL and having Netgear Modem/Router/Firewall I have had no problems. It disables ALL incoming traffic. As a secondary measure I also use Windows XP's built in firewall.

As Rob K points out, unless you disable downloading of ActiveX stuff in IE, then you will be plagued by those innocent grey looking boxes that try and get you to install all sorts of premium rate diallers and adware. When it says stuff like 'You must click YES to view the content on this site' JUST SAY NO. Is it really that hard?

Be interesting to see next version of IE that supposedly has all sorts of popup blockers in it. Bet they don't work properly and someone will find a workaround with days.

If you haven't got a virus killer installed, then you are plainly stupid and think 'It will never happen to me'. IT WILL. Get over to grisoft.com and download the best FREE virus killer with lifetime FREE updates. Has not let me down yet. Checks your incoming email in outlook and outlook express as well.

Another absolute must is Ad-aware over at lavasoftusa.com which is also FREE and will clean up your pc of all dodgy adware like diallers, keyboard loggers, registry hacks, e.t.c. It also gives you FREE updates whenever you want.

As an extra measure try the other adware proggy 'Spybot search and destroy' at safer-networking.org (seems to be down at minute). Not quite as good as adaware but may find some extra stuff. It has the added advantage of protecting your delicate windows area from further attack.

Boo!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 21:15
very happy = SpybotS&D + Adaware + NAT router + firewall +

* DBP_NETLIB_v1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "As Rob K points out, unless you disable downloading of ActiveX stuff in IE, then you will be plagued by those innocent grey looking boxes that try and get you to install all sorts of premium rate diallers and adware. When it says stuff like 'You must click YES to view the content on this site' JUST SAY NO. Is it really that hard?
"

Don't click NO either. Press Alt F4. No often is a false button.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 23:53
18 year old student? He should be tried as a terrorist and serve hard core prison time. We need to send a message to these punks. I suggest that he should be sent to Asia for a little caning and then on to the Middle East for a little Muslim justice. All on public (especially German) television, of course.
--
TAZ

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
my grandad's computer had this for ages. it brings up a box saying something about NT AUTHORITY shutting down the pc in 30 secs and it counts down and then the computer shuts off. it did this practicly every day. we only realised when it was on the news that it was the sasser virus!

My signiture image is a good measure of my sanity!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 01:52
Quote: "As Rob K points out, unless you disable downloading of ActiveX stuff in IE, then you will be plagued by those innocent grey looking boxes that try and get you to install all sorts of premium rate diallers and adware."

Those are the amateur ones, believe me, there are plenty out there which don't even need to pop up a dialog box. They download without asking under the default settings.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 12:56
Quote: "B) Not using Outlook or Outlook Express as an email client (again, 10 minutes to download and install Thunderbird)
C) Not using Internet Explorer as a web browser (the current version of IE will happily download and run ActiveX controls and other add-ins which can do whatever the hell they please without warning the user.) - Fix = Use Firefox instead."

Really, because I use both Outlook Express and IE and I've never had a virus in my life.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 13:03
I suggest people start using SP2 RC1 for XP - whilst it doesn't stop all popups, its pretty good.

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keep your friends close, and your cats even closer.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 16:54
Quote: "Really, because I use both Outlook Express and IE and I've never had a virus in my life."

Consider yourself lucky.

In corporate environments the average worker is ignorant. Although you can educate them on basic safety, most people will ignore the advice. By switching to other email/web clients or even better another O/S platform the viruses simply won't work.

Over 140 new commands

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:01:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:01:17