Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / More games now online

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 21:31
There are many games now online, dont you think that it would be a good idea to make a online based game?

I mean if you want to make a RPG game, make it online it's much better.

Online games are unexpected on what will happen, where when your playing a offline game, it's all predictable....

Do you think that online games will be the future, and offline games will go...?

Also Online games are much easier and quicker to code

£10 a year ftp web hosting - http://www.lowftp.com
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 21:34
Quote: "Also Online games are much easier and quicker to code "

and where in the world did you find this piece of false information?!?

online games are harder to code and expensive to keep running(well at least the ones that are anything past "tetris" are expensive to keep up)

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 21:36
Quote: "Online games are unexpected on what will happen, where when your playing a offline game, it's all predictable....
"

Not really, it all depends on the game creator's creativity.

Quote: "Do you think that online games will be the future, and offline games will go...?"

Sadly, it seems to be headed in that direction, but I believe online games are more of a fad than anything, after a while all online games get boring and the strategy involved in them becomes nothing more than the same thing you did the last time you came on.

Quote: "Also Online games are much easier and quicker to code

"

May I ask what you are smoking?

-Vash the Stampede

Need help? Ask me via email, msn, aim, or forums and Ill see what I can do.

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 21:40
I think he means that you don't have to worry about enemy AI or other things of that nature;

In reality of course, (good) online games are harder to create then offline games.

Amist the Blue Skies...
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 21:44
Yes but don't most online games have AI? I mean as far as RPGs go they do, and most RTS games have AI implimented into them as well. FPS games dont use AI unless its a good game with the option to play against bots. But I suppose the difficulty of making the game at all isnt really too important for big-time game developers, us maybe but I havent seen a good online game yet and I have seen plenty of good one players.

-Vash the Stampede

Need help? Ask me via email, msn, aim, or forums and Ill see what I can do.

sidewkdik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 22:16
It could of course just be me, but I prefer online games, it's more fun, but everyone's different.

I thought online games were much easier to code, the reason I say this, is because you just have to tape in a few codes to create/enter a new game, tape in the codes for the character to move around, and then add sounds etc.. I just thought it looked quite easy, I suppose a game without a story sucks which yeah I agree, I'm thinking of making a simple online game, so all my m8s can hang around there which I thought would b kool n stuff

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 22:25
Quote: "because you just have to tape in a few codes to create/enter a new game, tape in the codes for the character to move around, and then add sounds etc.. "

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Theres more to it than that... You would have to figure out a way to efficiently send and update the other players coordinates at the very least. And when you get into a big game it has to be VERY efficient or else you have major lag on your hands.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 22:58
Quote: "I mean if you want to make a RPG game, make it online it's much better."

Totally, totally untrue.

If people here REALLY want to know what it's like creating an MMO, there's an article in the latest Game Developer magazine by Rod Humble, one of the top developers and heads of Sony's Everquest. It's a fascinating article on the perks and problems with managing an MMO project.

sidewkdik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 23:11
whered would I find info on this?

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2004 16:00
Problem One: Connection. You need a meaty connection for a game server, without a fast connection you cannot have many players at once and if you cannot have many players at once your user base will never sustain itself.

Problem Two: Processing Power. In order to support an exponentially sized user base you need a scaleable server solution, this requires cunning game design and potentially expensive hardware.

Problem Three: Latency. You need to be quite a good programmer to make your information packets reliable and quick enough to make your game multiplayer, particularly if the game is real time. Latency even effects games like Quake, and if they can't get it 100% right, imagine how a home coder is going to do.

I'm quite lucky, I have an ISP willing to host a game server for me, I have the machine built, but i've two remaining problems to solve. Firstly the ISP is a satellite based service meening there is latency so it's only suited to turn based games, secondly I dont have any turn based games written to convert to multiplayer...

So you'll have to wait a while before you see an MMO from me, there may be others teams out there with the facilities in place that are further down the road than my team are, but as you can see, it is not as plain sailing as would first appear.

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 20:42:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 20:42:46