Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Next Generation Graphics

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 03:08 Edited at: 5th May 2004 03:10
As i'm sure some have noticed there are 2 posts about the new,
nVIDIA 6800 (nv40) and ATi X800 (R400) Graphics Cards...

Simple question is down to what does the Geforce 6-Series and Radeon X8-Series actually offer you as a gamer.

Well first here are the technical overviews... comparing the last generation to the current generation (for thier high end cards)

Geforce FX 5900 Ultra

6800 Ultra

(as I cannot find these values for ATi cards, this is just so you can see the speed difference on the Geforce:

Radeon 9800 XT

Radeon X800 XT

next post will cover the demo's available from each company:

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5200 44.04 | DirectX 9.0 | Audigy2 | Crystal Clean OS
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 03:17 Edited at: 5th May 2004 03:17
I see....but at least you said there are 2 others, cuz I would've complained...but this info means nothing to me...cuz I am an idiot

You forgot to read your fortune cookie. It says you're sh!t out of luck.
Welcome to the Electric Funeral!!!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 20:42
This is more useful for developers than gamers. The average gamer will be more interested in the benchmarks at varying antialiasing levels than anything else! And in this community, we're not exactly on the bleeding edge of technology, so the information really dosen't pertain to anything that many people are working on. Interesting nevertheless.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 11:19
I am currently looking into getting an independant body to perform real-world benchmarks.

Right now I do currently have an idea for new benchmarking software, so that you can know exactly what your graphics card can push; as well as seeing how much the new technology can affect your card.

Although we're not on the bleeding edge of technology in DarkBASIC Professional land, what current on-line benchmarks are showing is the X800 is faster are Shader Operations; No doubt due to it's 4:1 16x Pipeline which is 2 more Superscaler's than the 6800's 2:1 16x Pipeline, but more interestingly that the 6800 has much faster polygon rendering as well as texture rendering.

When you think about how it is running between 75-120MHz less than the Radeon X800, which is still only outperforming by a large margin at Full Scene Anti-Aliasing & Aniostropic Filtering;
Unfortunately I have yet to see some overclocking results.

Should have more conclusive information once the benchmarks are complete
If what I have seen so far from the Geforce 6800 is anything to go by, I would say that new versions are going to definately be able to push the envelope.

At the very least you can finally create shaders exactly how you would with C.
Subroutines, Branched Programs, etc...
With Shader 3.0 Basic for Graphics actually looks almost exactly like your coding in DarkBASIC

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5200 44.04 | DirectX 9.0 | Audigy2 | Crystal Clean OS

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 21:07:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 21:07:43