Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Gravity always gets you down.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 03:49
Please here my story.
There i was, moving around the matrix with my little Knight. Watching him take his first few steps. Walking directly into trees. Typing bits of code for when ever he went flying through one. Oh the memories.

But then, one day I thought, "wouldnt it be great if you could walk over a bridge, closely followed by under the bridge". I studied the matrix to little result. I was greedy. I wanted to make that bridge a .X format, to make my collision enter the unknown, the third dimention. To this day I regret having opened my knights eyes to this truly scary world. He will go up the hill. He will go down the hill. He will even go through the cave inside the hill. But the pain inside was there. The burden of the frames per second, was to heavy upon his shoulders. But I wanted more. So i added a creature for him to slay in the hope that he could stand it.
The poor Knight. The evil creature. It was to much for my code to handle. the codes speed had gone. The FPS to low. My knights chance for an RPG had come to an abrupt halt.

Will the code ever be reliable again? The gravity takes to much power for me to handle.

If not for me, then for my brave Knight, will you please help?
Trev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 04:03
You should try to delete everything you dont need when you enter the cave or when your out of the cave and make sure you set the cull for all the obects (cull makes it so if its not in the camera view it makes it alot less laggy) for example if you dont use the matrix or use a sperate matrix while your in the cave and delete or hide every thing outside of the cave and reaload it when he steps out.

Trevor Somerville Making the best game Beast Hunter. So what if it dosn't have any sound or enemies yet....
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 04:25
What you cant see cant harm you is true, but the main slowdown is the amount of objects used for ground collision.
for each character: one goes down till hit and other just abov last to go up when hit. then theres the wall collision as well. thats 3*collision detection for every character and the collision detection is the whole map

Honestly i dont know how to use gravity with any less objects.

And thats my predicament.
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 04:38
Doesnt Nuclear Glory have built in Gravity? That kills two birds with one stone, or DLL I should say.

GameXaero forums - www.t4e0.4cybiko.com
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 04:49 Edited at: 5th May 2004 04:49
You nuked what country?
I have the programming skill of a bovine.
I am a 'newcomer'.

What I'm trying to say is that I have very little knowledge when it comes to DLL's, except when ever i delete one something stops working.

Whats Nuclear Glory?
Douglass
Years of Service
User Offline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 06:14 Edited at: 5th May 2004 06:15
It's a collision system made by a company called Nuclear Glory. I don't really know anything about it other than that. Here is a link to the web site http://www.nuclearglory.com/index.php.

I want to learn collision stuff and do it myself so I don't know how it works or anything. Maybe someone else can help you if you get it.

PS: I don't think anyone nuked any country.

[edit] darn you doug, you posted right when I did. LOL

Takes one to know one
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 06:43
I have Nuclear Glory and it is awesome. Built in gravity and ray casting commands along with excellent collision for .x, .3ds, and ,.dbo models (may be others but this is all I have used). So you can use Nuclear Glory for your models along with using DBP's matix commands and have a fairly simple to use collision & gravity/jumping system. Add the ray casting feature to it and you have the best deal on the planet for $15.

"People don't fail ..... they stop trying." Specs. P4 2.8GHz 800 FSB | 512MB DDR333
GeForce FX 5200 AGP 256MB | Windows XP Pro Full
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 19:00
Wow. cheers everyone! the Knight will make a return!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:38:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:38:03