Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Sprites and 3d objects, is a peacefull coexistance possible????

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 21:37
I was thinking the other day about sprites and 3d objects. I know that when you mix the two the computer slows down alot. But i wonder if there is a soultion other than using planes placed infront of teh camera? If i "set the camera veiw" to only take up like half of the screen and place all of the sprites in the other half, will that make a um... peacefull coexistance?

AKA Drunken French Munk (the name i use at home)
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 06:04
Since it seems to be a unique solution, why don't you try it and find out? It would be trivial to set up a timer or fps counter and toggle between full screen and split screen.

Let us know how it turns out.
--
TAZ

DBasic Khan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 21:50
will do taz.
might be a few days though. I never ave enough free time

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 04:10
Sprites run super fast for me in DBP

We need help! Email us! join@eternaldestinyonline.com
DBasic Khan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 21:19
Yea RP, but do u use them with 3d objects? Thats the issue, practically the only way to hav ea hud now is with planes pointed at the camera. I will hopefull get a chance this weekend to try it. I would have tonight but my family got tickets to see the Angels play.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 21:24
Are you using dbpro or dbc. I you are using dbpro you arn't turning the backsave on with SET SPRITE are you? If you are using sprites for a hud the default values are the best and you don't need to use SET SPRITE. With the backsave off sprites should be pretty fast.

i won't see you in the pit
DBasic Khan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 21:28
Im using classic. And it has been my experiance and every one tells me that using a sprite while using 3d will kill the performance of my game. But could i turn off the backsave off with dbc?

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 22:25
There is a lot of difference between sprites in dbpro and sprites in dbc. In dbpro sprites are effectivly 3d planes so they are fast and there is no problem using them with 3d.

In dbc sprites are not the same as sprites in dbpro, you are better off using textured plains to avoid the slow down.

i won't see you in the pit
Spaceman Spiff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 01:37
Just out of curiosity (Spelling) what would you use 3D objects and 2D sprites together for? To me that just seems like it would ruin the look and feel of a game. And wouldn't you have to code 2 seprate collision systems? I'm not trying to say that it's dumb or anything it just seems sorta useless.

Takes one to know one

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:32:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:32:08