Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / If you work in the game industry pleae read.... Very Important to me

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 04:43 Edited at: 6th May 2004 04:46
So I have to do this Capp project(Carrer and personal planning) so everyone has to do that in grade 11 and now I got this project and I have to interview a person. So I want to be a game programmer and I need to interview a person who is a game programmer(would be the best) or who works in the gamming feild.

I tryed to call Electronic Arts since they are like a block away from me and well they would not give me an interview because they said they do not like giving people interviews even if it is for a school project.

So now I am trying Radical Entertainment(also like 2 blocks away) and I hope I get a interview them.

But if they do not let me interview one of them I am wondering If I can interview one of you guys it is about 10-12 questions long should take less then 30mins to do.

So if you have the time and I can not get an Interview anywere else(since I rather have it in person) then will someone just answer the question(what I will be posting in a couple days) if I do not get a call back from radical. Also I need go over my Interview first and change some stuff since some of the questions were "So how long have you been working at Ea?"

Thanks since I really need this for my project or I do not graduate
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 05:39
I would suggest you change your project to include programmers in general; as most game development companies NDAs prevent employees from interviews that are not pre-approved by the management first.

Really I wouldn't get your hopes up about it. Especially right now as E3 is almost literall a week away... no one is going to want to spare the man-power.

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5200 44.04 | DirectX 9.0 | Audigy2 | Crystal Clean OS
hoho
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Really I wouldn't get your hopes up about it. Especially right now as E3 is almost literall a week away... no one is going to want to spare the man-power."

What is E3?

And yes I might change it to programmers but I hope it will not have to come to that.
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 08:19
E3 is the Electronic Entertainment Expo (or something like that)

Its a big convention where all the major game industry companies show off thier works in progress.

Amist the Blue Skies...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 08:52
E3 (Electronic Entertainment Exposition) is basically THE event in the games industry.
It is there where hardware companies show off new consoles, graphics, input devices, etc... as well as developers showing what thier titles are going to be like.

Along with ECTS (European Computer Trade Show) these are quite simply events that no one serious about wanting to get in the industry should not know about?!

If I had said GDC or Siggraph then oki, not knowing would be forgiveable; but E3!! Do you even keep up to date with current gaming news?!

http://www.gamespy.com
i'd suggest before you even consider becomming a programmer, you should first understand what programmers are currently doing beyond what is actually in the shops.
you will be working along side technology a good year before it hit the retail stores; you can't be lagging behind in knowing roughly what is going on at any given time.

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5200 44.04 | DirectX 9.0 | Audigy2 | Crystal Clean OS
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 16:04
Pincho might do it. He's worked on quite a few games. He'll be around somewhere. Then again, he might now. There's quite a few people about here who work in the industry. Post your questions and you might get more than one reply.

Or you could wait outside EA and try to get someone on their lunchbreak.

-Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Postponed
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 16:07
Well I used to work for a software house, and I do technically get paid to write my games - sortah. So I could be interviewed as a "semi-professional" games programmer.

That's probably the closest you'll get in this forum, I can only think of one forum member around here who now works for a professional games studio, and he hasn't been active here since because he's working such long hours, oh - and he was a modeller anyway.

I know lots of people want to be professional game programmers here, and i'm one of them, but to my knowledge nobody here is working that role full time.

You might have more luck at www.gamedev.com but beware as most of that community are hangers on and is actually below the standards of this one, producing games with little polish, if you they see a good game they go strangely silent, or flame it for not being professional... But there are a few clever bods there, and some who really do know what they are talking about.

You could also try Raven, he's not a professional really, but he can sure talk like he is *snicker*.

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 16:35
lol!
Um....
How about Mike or Lee?

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't think I could help much with programming modern games. I was a 2D graphic artist. My knowlege of C++ is all based on C, and they are probably not related. What I do have knowledge of is the inside working of a Games Company. I know how things are different on the inside than they appear to the games player. That's about it.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 17:08
Quote: "How about Mike or Lee?"

They're not really 'games' programmers though.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 19:01
Quote: "My knowlege of C++ is all based on C, and they are probably not related."

If you have programmed a full game in C I don't think it would matter what the difference between C++ and C is. HOwever, if the only thing you worked on is 2D art, you might now be able to tell him the nuances of a games programmer.

Amist the Blue Skies...
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 19:15
on a side note: since you live so close to the gaming companys, please stroll down to ID and ask 'em when the hell I can expect to get my hands on DOOMIII ??!!!

* DBP_NETLIB_v1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 21:53
Hoho - I think you live around my area. I work at EA and every morning on the SkyTrain we pass the Radical building. Wow, it's a small world.

Sorry, we can't give interviews though

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 22:04
Titan isn't here but on LLRGT, is a freelance concept artist; his most recent work has been UT 2004.
Froggermon *used* to work for Papyrus.
Lady Ice was working for a candian company but i forget who.
I myself current work part-time for Microsoft X Studios.

Problem is that I dont ever remember any actual game programmers on here, simply artists; about the only programmer you see around here are Visual Basic / C++ Application developers.

Like CattleRustler, IanM, etc... as mentioned the closest around here you are likely to get is Mike & Lee.
UNLESS you can actually get ahold of the elusive Philip, as he has worked on several professional games as a programmer.

But i've only heard his name mentioned a few times, never actually met the guy and don't know he actually exists past what Lee & Rich have mentioned in passing conversation.

He is currently working on the Physics engine for DarkBASIC Professional, which isn't suppose to be that far off a release candidate; but as i've mentioned, i'd suggest you set your sights lower.

(god knows why anyone would willingly want tog be in the games industry though; you've REALLY gotta love it to do it for a living)

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 22:23
Quote: "god knows why anyone would willingly want tog be in the games industry though"

gee...I wonder

Amist the Blue Skies...
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 22:43
Quote: "(god knows why anyone would willingly want tog be in the games industry though; you've REALLY gotta love it to do it for a living)"

Well, nobody is forced. Everyone I know who works with me loves it.

Quote: "Problem is that I dont ever remember any actual game programmers on here"

*raises hand*

I think I'm one of those invisible dudes hehe.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 22:48
Jeku i know people who are in it love it; but i don't think people who don't do it really have a clue just how much work it'll involve.
Although guys/gals who've been doing it for years are used it and just have a laugh doing stuff, when you first get into it; it can be stressful as hell.

especially comming from a college environment

hoho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 03:32 Edited at: 7th May 2004 03:37
Quote: "Hoho - I think you live around my area. I work at EA and every morning on the SkyTrain we pass the Radical building. Wow, it's a small world.

Sorry, we can't give interviews though
"

Ya You live in Vancouver and I live in burnaby. And your very close to my High school(Moscrop) like maybe 10mins or less away. And your are pretty close to my place I had work experince(Max intergration) I wanted to go to EA for that week but of course that was out of the question

I was happy when I read your first like you work at EA. But then you had to go and ruin and saying I can not interview you
Can't you at least answer a couple questions though email(or on this site). It is not like I am going to ask you anything special like here are some of your questions I would ask you what are you daily routines around the office? or How long you been working for Ea? or what post Secondary school did you go to?(this is the big one I want to know since I thinking of going to bcit for my bachlor)

Like I do not understand why you guys are so picky and do not allow interviews even to kids trying to get in the feild like common(this is the hardest thing to me since I only very little clue about the gamming feild and so does my school). I thought EA would be glad to help me out since their always going on how they help the community.

I know I will be disadvantage when I apply there(will not be for another 4-5 years) since I do not know anyone there and I can not even get my foot in my door so they just know who I am. I wish they would really change their policies.

I hope this did not sound like hining to you guys.

But anways. I going to post up the questions now so I hope someone will answer them..............

Interview

Name: (Optional)
Job position:
Company name:

1: How long have you been working in the industry?
2: What are your responsibilities and duties?
3: How long did you go to post Secondary School and were?
4: What is the best thing about your job? The worst?
5: What kind of skills do you think a person looking to get into the field should work on?
6: What is a typical work day?
7: What kind of hours do you work? (How long, what hours, how many days of the week)
8: How often do you have to go and get retrained?
9: What is the starting, position for a person who was just higher?
10: What got you in this career? If you could go back would you do a different career?

See like I said stupit little questions like this.

Also this is on a side note I am wondering since I could not find this anywere and this has always made me wonder is for a game programmer how much math do you need to know? Like do you need to Math Guinness or what?
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 10:26
Math is very important in games programming, Trig and Geometry are basically the main topics that are used. You don't need to know advanced, advanced trig but more just have a solid grounding in it.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Math Guinness ??? Send me some!!!

Sounds like a wind up.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 11:37
As your self nominated "reserve" and in order to flex my ego i'll give you my answers just incase you cannot find a real programmer!

Name: Andy Igoe
Job position: Lead Programmer
Company name: Banshee Studios

1: How long have you been working in the industry?
I started working in computers at the age of 15, but I had been programming since I was learning to talk by typing out listings into a Sinclair ZX-81 from magazine listings which was a popular hobby back then.

I first started taking my software seriously around 18-19 years old when I worked for a large Amiga software house, but hardware was still my main focus.

2: What are your responsibilities and duties?
I am the lead programmer on all Banshee Studios games, but much of my time is taken with publicity and marketting to potential advertising clients. We've been reasonably sucessful so far, and are starting to make coverdisks and attract a few large business partners but to establish the business as a financially sound institution is going to be a lot more work yet.

3: How long did you go to post Secondary School and were?
I did attent college at Turnford Tech, Hertfordshire, UK. However at the time the education sector wasn't really geared up to understand and teach students to work in the computer industry. I found the course remarkably easy and was for many of the classes directly helping the lecturers and even took a few classes. I couldn't consider this an education so I left and got a job in R&D for Scala. Things are thankfully a little better now.

4: What is the best thing about your job? The worst?
If the joy of creation, being creative, realising your dreams doesn't really excite you then I doubt that game programming is really want you want to do. The reward is seeing your hard graft appear on screen and doing what you expect it too. The worst part I think is being let down by other team members, the endless waiting for work that never arrives.

5: What kind of skills do you think a person looking to get into the field should work on?
The most important skill in all professional vocations are life skills, the things that come with maturity. If you are going to do any job that pays £20k a year or more than you need be a good communicator. A good way to 'accelerate' a young mind in learning these skills is to start out your working life in a customer services orientated role - prefferably a technical one.

6: What is a typical work day?
7: What kind of hours do you work? (How long, what hours, how many days of the week)
As Banshee Studios is part time whilst the business is built up it is squeezed in around everything else my day starts early, I get up just after 6am and after a quick coffee set about answering the nights emails then head off to my day job around 7:30. I typically work through lunch to save time and get home around 3:30pm, then it's a brief relax of around 30 mins (1 program on the history channel) and I get to work programming, I typically finish around 11pm.

I also work part time at a kart track and on those nights dont program at all. Saturdays are usually filled with working on the kart, as the kart team is very much a part of Banshee's marketting vehicle, but sometimes i'll get the whole day to program. Most Sundays I take the day off - especially if there is a Grand Prix on - but sometimes I program too, weekends are especially good because i'll be coding at least 12 hours solidly and get a lot of work done.

I do take the odd night off and head down the pub

8: How often do you have to go and get retrained?
This is a question derived from being in an education establishment, away from education learning is a constant process but isn't something you stop for. I'm always talking to other programmers, frequently experimenting and testing ideas and principles, and keeping an eye on programming forums sometimes turns up the odd gem.

9: What is the starting, position for a person who was just higher?
A trainee programmer or level designer (which frequently involves scripting) can expect to earn around $40k a year. For this you already have to be of a standard that other industries would call expert.

10: What got you in this career? If you could go back would you do a different career?
If I could go back then I would have started this carear sooner. I love games, I love creating things, no other industry allows you to work with your mind rather than your hands, and still create something that exists before you, rather than just a theory.

Making a game is like having a child: It complains, throws up, and kicks up a fuss - but it can also give great rewards and joy. Imagine being a new parent every day you go to work.

DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 12:58
It's nice that someone takes the time to help someone who they've never met. Good one Igoe. There was a guy around here who was workig on a gamecube game about a midevil knight, but i can't remember his name and i think he was a moddeler anyway. Tell me how your report goes.
-Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Postponed
hoho
Years of Service
User Offline
Well thank you Andy Igoe. This helps me very much considering that you helped me do a part of my project what will insure that I graduate.

I hope I can work hard enough to become a game programmer one day. I think the hardest thing for me to over come will be the Math part.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 19:37
Maths is a missnomer: You dont need good maths to be a programmer; what happens is your maths get good BECAUSE your a programmer .

Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 19:46 Edited at: 10th May 2004 19:48
hoho,
I can't get you a programmer but I think I can get you an incredible 3d artist and animator. He worked on Red Faction for Volition, as well as a few other high profile game companies.

If you can call PA, write me and I will try and get your interview set up.

@Jeku What kind of lame answer is that? I live close to you, I work at EA and No I will not help you out. Why even respond?
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 12:49
I think you'll find Maths is a prerequisite for all programming courses.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 01:26
Quote: "@Jeku What kind of lame answer is that? I live close to you, I work at EA and No I will not help you out. Why even respond?"

Well excuse me for finding it neat that somebody from here lives in my area. Some of you guys need to loosen up a bit and step outside in the fresh air once in a while.

And no--- I am not Don Mattrick or Larry Probst (owners of EA)-- therefore, I can't just break the rules and give interviews. If I owned EA then I would. *HOWEVER*, after looking at your questions, I will ask for permission. I'm not going to risk losing my job :p

hoho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 08:13 Edited at: 12th May 2004 08:17
Well that ones guys answers will be good enough thanks though all. And thank you to the guy who said he would even call up a friend he knew who would worked close to the feild that was very nice of you.

Well I just hope I will get good at the math later on. I know the programming will not be too hard for me since I get anything computer related pretty fast and I like programming(even though not good at it yet) but thats why I got college to look forward to but it is only math I do not hate it of course it just is hard for me to understand but I guess I will get good at it sooner or later as I pratice it more.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:11:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:11:28