Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Any good publishers out there?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 05:30
Hi, I'm trying to sell a game made in DBC. But I can't find a publisher, paypal isn't an option or anyother credit card things. So, I need a publisher were I keep the rights and such. So, please help(I need it).

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 05:36
Um, if you arn't able to access a paypal account then what makes you think the publishers are going to be able to deal with you?

Amist the Blue Skies...
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 05:47
Hey, It's worth a try.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 06:11
how much is the game going to sell for?

* DBP_NETLIB_v1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 07:00
5$ or maybe 10$ Canadian. Yeah I don't really care about the money. I just want the credit more than anything.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 07:16
if you just want credit, stick your name in the credits screen, and make the game free! a LOT more people will try your game it its free.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 07:28
There is no such thing as a good publisher. A lesson i have learned..

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 07:41
Well I do want some money . Maybe like 1 - 5$ Canadian.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 02:35
Hello, there I still need a publisher.

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 02:39
no you don't

Amist the Blue Skies...
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 02:55 Edited at: 7th May 2004 02:57
there are loads of publishers that focus on indi and low-budget developers. Directly below is a list of publishers and following that is a few of them.

game publishers list

blitz basic

digital candle

game thoughts

game tunnel

gamespy

garagegames

Home alawar entertainment

idigicon

paypal

realone

share it

souldout software

xing interactive

"don't shoot the messenger", if any link doesn't work or you don't get what you expect then it's not my fault however, they all have some form of game publishing associated with them.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 02:56 Edited at: 7th May 2004 02:56
Why do you say that? I can't deal with paypal because I'm under 18. I can still deal with publishers beacause, I'm not selling it they are.

ps. Hey we posted at the same time, cool.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 02:59 Edited at: 7th May 2004 03:02
Getting a publisher is not an easy task. For you, your best bet is to go with shareit or paypal.(Although you said paypal wasn't an option)

Quote: "Maybe like 1 - 5$ Canadian."

If you're going to sell your game that cheap, you might not even want to bother. You should bundle it with your other games you've made(if you have), and sell a package for 10$-15$.

Quote: "Hello, there I still need a publisher."

If you want a publisher here's my tips.

1.) Make a small webpage with enough information on it to get the user interested in the game. Put in 3 or 4 screenshots at thumbnail size.(offer larger shots too). Nothing fancy, no flash graphics, no music. Something easy on users 56k.

2.) Show the publisher why they should publish your game. There's thousands of games out there, why should they publish you. You have to remember that publishers are investing in you. In your case, it seems like you want to make some quick cash. Will a publisher want to invest in a game that was sloppily put together for quick dollars? Probably not.

Remember, they put money into you for distrubution. Even if it's just hosting a file on there website.

3.) Show your previous works. If this is your first finished game, publishers might feel "iffy". Does the game run bug-free? Does this guy know how to program? Will this guy be able to put out a sequel if the demand is right?

4.) Make sure all media can legally be used by you. Last thing you want is legal problems, even on a small scale. It can ruin your reputation.

5.) How can you be contacted? If it's someone like shareit, as long as you have an e-mail you should be okay. Although it's nice to talk to publishers by phone. (Or in person, but that's probably not an option )

Well, that's my advice. Take this advice and use it to your advantage. I'm not trying to put you down, but you need to have an awareness of what it takes.

[EDIT] To extend on number 1. Show professionalism and buy a domain name if you're really serious about this. Also be sure to add in contact information. I also don't mean you made a sloppy game in #2, it's just an example.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 06:31
Quote: "10$-15$"
I was thinking about that, what do you think(see download)? I have a web site [href]www.fleaware.tk[/href]. Quick cash, Yikes, don't juge a book by it's cover. [href]www.freewebs.com/fleaware/cargotester.zip[/href] This demo is old and right now I've made the train faster and I'm making more trains to earn as you go(8 so far). I'm trying to set up a deal before I realease my game.

PS. sorry for the download time they havn't put in webzoom yet.

Antdizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 07:06
When you sell a game, don't sell it for a very cheap price. If you do that people will think that the game is bad. Check and see how much people are charging for their games. And can you have your parents get a Paypal account for you? You can also get a payment service and have them do everything for you and self-publish your game.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 07:09
Quote: "And can you have your parents get a Paypal account for you?"
They don't really like me but I'll try. And how much do you think this game is worth?

Antdizzle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 07:12
Well I haven't tried your game yet, but you should probably charge $15-30 for it. I would go with $20. Just search around on Google for some payment services and see how much they charge. If you have a banking account you can have the money sent there also, but they will take some of your money from you for each transaction.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 07:30
Anyone who tries my game shouldn't play at night they're first time. It can tell that it's night and makes it dark out, and don't play in the winter, it'll snow.

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 09:14
Quote: "Why do you say that? I can't deal with paypal because I'm under 18. I can still deal with publishers beacause, I'm not selling it they are. "

how are they going to pay you? Besides, I doubt most publishing companies would want to enter a contract with someone under 18; minors are not bound to legal documents, which means you can break it at anytime.

Amist the Blue Skies...
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 12:04
At the risk of sounding rude the screenshots of games on your site does not imply a commercial standard. If making money is your thing then what i would suggest is to work the freeware circuit for a while, giving the games away.

Sounds strange doesnt it?

Learn the trade, establish yourself, improve your skills with freeware releases, then when you are ready team up with others to produce something more commercial.

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 14:27
What Andy said.

I gots to go.
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 16:17 Edited at: 7th May 2004 16:19
Quote: "At the risk of sounding rude the screenshots of games on your site does not imply a commercial standard. If making money is your thing then what i would suggest is to work the freeware circuit for a while, giving the games away."
Those are all abandonware. and Hey, GTA sold and their graphics sucked.
@Andy: Acctually your games arn't really up there in the game play category, no offence.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 16:32
Quote: "Acctually your games arn't really up there in the game play category"

You are of course correct, I wasn't very happy with Transfusion at all and Extranjero was just rushed from start to finish, although games previous to these two are on the whole fairly playable.

There is a difference though, my games are all free. The only reason I see Banshee as a business at all is because the games are downloaded so much I had to get backing to host the site, but as a player you dont pay a penny and you are not bombarded with adverts when you visit the team site or play our games.

This is because I am:
Quote: "Learn the trade, establish yourself, improve your skills with freeware releases"

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 16:52 Edited at: 7th May 2004 16:53
Xing will cheat you. stay away from Xing. I almost published with the back when they were called crystal interactive. stay the hell away from them

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 17:06
Quote: "GTA sold and their graphics sucked"

Yeah, but back then all the games graphics sucked. And anyway, don't compare GTA to your game. GTA was made by professionsals who were already known and has a publishing deal and more than one person making the game

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think that GTA graphics suck. They are low end commercial quality, but still commercial quality!!! I'd pay £10 for GTA.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 17:35
The key here though is that GTA came out when I was about 18-19 or so, i'm 29 now...

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 19:23
finish a (decent) game first then start to worry how you are going to sell it...

Amist the Blue Skies...
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 19:36
don't take this wrong but you need to team up with a modeller/artist because your graphics are not that great. your game might be great play-wise, and maybe you are an awesome coder, I don't know, but based on your website & screeneies I wouldn't "pay" for your games. But you sound young so you will learn a lot. Don't give up. at this point publishing is the last thing you should be worried about. You definitely have determination though, I'll give ya that and that's a key ingredient.
Just mho.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 01:10 Edited at: 8th May 2004 01:26
Young? I've been programming for 6 years in 4 diffent languages. I ain't young, and I am NOT new to game programming.

Those screenies are ALL of old, Abandonware, I fix up the graphix last . Isn't that what everyone does?

Here's some art that I made what do you think?
http://www.freewebs.com/fleaware/art.gif

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 01:37 Edited at: 8th May 2004 02:22
Oh ya, download the game then judge ok.
Quote: "your game might be great play-wise, and maybe you are an awesome coder, I don't know"
D-O-W-N-L-O-A-D, please, no offence.

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 03:05
why don't you just get your parents to sign up for pay-pal and have them collect the money? there is far less liability then going with a publisher...

Amist the Blue Skies...
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 07:07 Edited at: 8th May 2004 07:13
@TheAbomb12: Please if your just here to critisize, tell me, have you downloaded any of my games. Screenies DO NOT do any game justice.

@Hexgear: Thanks for just telling me the info minus the whinning(unlike Abomb, no offence but if you don't have anything useful to say please, be quiet).

@TheAbomb12(part2): Some tips on critisizim that helps.
1) Define "Desent"
2) Where are all your wonderful games, eh?
3) Stop putting my games down(refer to 2)

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 07:52 Edited at: 8th May 2004 07:52
first off, back off of ABomb, k? second of all, he misspelled a word...don't be a language nazi!!!!
now, I admit I've done lots of stupid sh!t here, and I may not be the nicest person in the world either, but don't criticize ABomb, he helps people out and all, and he is maing a game, ok?
secondly:
Quote: "@Hexgear: Thanks for just telling me the info minus the whinning(unlike Abomb, no offence but if you don't have anything useful to say please, be quiet)."

I thought there was a golden rule that stated if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
Now, I don't know you or hexgear much, so forgive me if I sound a little rude, ok? it's kinda late over here.
now, I have been mean to people too, it's a common mistake for lots of us on this board.
IF THAT DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU, DON'T REPLY SAYING I'M NOTHING LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You forgot to read your fortune cookie. It says you're sh!t out of luck.
Welcome to the Electric Funeral!!!
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 08:36 Edited at: 8th May 2004 08:46
Quote: "@TheAbomb12: Please if your just here to critisize, tell me, have you downloaded any of my games. Screenies DO NOT do any game justice."

Umm... I never put ANY of your games down you spaz. NO, I have never seen any of your games, let alone play them. I could care less, but that was not the point of my posts. I only said that getting a publisher is pointless when you can do most things yourself.

refer to my previous post...

"why don't you just get your parents to sign up for pay-pal and have them collect the money? there is far less liability then going with a publisher..."

If you call this putting your games down, you have an issue...

what you said-
Quote: "1) Define "Desent""

What I said-
Quote: "finish a (decent) game first then start to worry how you are going to sell it...""

You crack pot! I never mispelled it in the first place! Maybe you should read more carefully next time...

Quote: "(unlike Abomb, no offence but if you don't have anything useful to say please, be quiet)."

Ok, you Officially p!ssed me off. None of my posts where derogatory, none of my post were meant to offend you, and at no point was I "whinning" (I think you must mean "Whining").

The only thing I was guilty of doing was trying to make you realise that you don't need a publisher at all, and you would be better off without one.

Amist the Blue Skies...
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 09:00
@Ambomb:
Quote: "Desent"
I Spelt that wrong, not you(sorry for miscomsecption). I never got mean until you said "finish a (decent) game first" Sorry but were I live that's offenceive(sarcastic). If your pissed at me, sorry but, "decent" is about the equvalent of "Your games suck, hahahaha" IMHO.

Quote: "no offence"
That last part was just so you would stop saying things like decent. That does nothing to to help anyone. I ain't a crack pot(glue's better) so lets just calm down.

(I'm trying to make up, if you want to fight. Post somewere were I never go(because posting that here just wastes room.)

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 09:11
Quote: " finish a (decent) game first then start to worry how you are going to sell it..."

What I meant by this was you should make your game until you feel it is commercial quality before thinking about how you are going to sell it. Like I said, I havent played your games so I wouldn't know how good it is.

Quote: "I'm trying to make up, if you want to fight."

No, I don't want to fight...
please watch what you say next time.

Amist the Blue Skies...
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 09:45

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 18:03
Quote: "please watch what you say next time"

Lets both do that.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 20:31
Manticore Night,

I am trying to download your game, but alas the connection I have to your server is somewhat slow.

Gameplay is important and you are right in that, however regrettably graphics are instrumental in achieving a download in the first place to find out about that gameplay.

To give an idea, my teams Transfusion game (Pretty graphics, gameplay not great) has around 100,000 downloads. My teams Asteroids game (good gameplay, ok graphics) has around 20-25 thousand downloads.

Asteroids had a far more active netscore than Transfusion did because people kept playing it, although it only achieved a quarter of the downloads in the first instance.

I hope that information proves useful.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 20:39
In that art thing the train on the left is from this game, what do you think?

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 01:51
Here's a screeny of my game enjoy. http://www.freewebs.com/fleaware/cargo.gif

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't take a game seriously with those graphics. My temporary graphics are better than that. The main thing about that screenshot is that there is nothing there to interest you. There is nothing there that even explains the game. You didn't even describe the picture in your post. You could have said...

Here is a picture of my game in its early stages. Ignore the graphics for now, they are temporary. The long thing is a train, and you play it like Snake.

I have no idea what the picture is about.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 02:19 Edited at: 9th May 2004 07:10
Ok, It's futureistic train, 1 of a whole bunch like 50 in the design stages 8 done so far those arn't temporary, I like them. The big spike is a spire a trap set by your compettion. This train works on magnets instead of track. Gotta go now explain more later.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 07:11
Ok, I'm back. I don't see what's wrong with the graphics. Please explain.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well they are squashed spheres, and some tubes, what needs explaining? Obvious to anyone that even cheap shareware games have decent graphics. Amiga 3D games had decent graphics, and that was much inferior to DB games.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 11:44
Well I guess I could fix 'em up a little. More Screenies soon.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 12:00
Ok, I tied to upload new screenies but my host won't let me. I re modelled the cars(added a canopy(futuristic) and make them look beat up.). Ok so in that first one the big spike is a spire, it blows you up if you hit it. The train has one set path you control it's speed(it can go real fast). There are also super slow enemy ships on your tail to get you going. That about sums it up. My game never ends just keeps getting harder. It saves automaticaly. Real time. Yeah, think it's good?

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know if it's good, I can't find the download. What's the game called?

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 19:47 Edited at: 9th May 2004 20:21
OMG, I can't beleive I forgot that. Here it is http://freewebs.com/fleaware/cargotester.rar

It's called Cargo.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:20:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:20:30