Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / VB.net vs VC++.net

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 00:29
which of these software titles would be a better environtment for games/application programming?

Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
If you use the truevision3d SDK, found at http://www.truevision3d.com then both of them give basically the same speeds.

Most of their stuff is made in VB.NET though, and it all looks fantastic! But from what I hear if you just use C++, not VC++.NET then it's faster than either of the .NETs
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 00:49
Quote: "But from what I hear if you just use C++, not VC++.NET then it's faster than either of the .NETs"

No. AFAIK VC++ .NET is a misleading title, it is not much like the other .NET languages. Hence I refer to it as VC++ 7. The true "C for .NET" language is called C# (C Sharp).

VC++ produces the fastest code overall out of all the compilers around, closely followed by the VC#.NET and VB.NET compilers. GCC is apparently quite slow at some tasks.

I would recommend the C++ language over VB any day though. Although VB.NET adds a lot of powerful features, its nowhere near as elegant as the C language.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 00:53
if your using a .NET language like VB.NET or C# then skip TrueVision3D altogether and use DirectX 9 SDK natively. TV3D is a COM wrapper for DX (which is ok) but you could be using pure .net classes directly instead of an added com-interop layer.

just a thought.

* DBP_NETLIB_v1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Will that increase speed?
GameMaker Jason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 01:05
i was thinking of using the directx 9 sdk.
does anyone know where i can get trails for these 3 .net software titles?

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 02:50
Izzy,

If your using .net, then using managed DirecX directly would probably be much more efficient than using a COM library that's wrapped in Interop for .Net. I don't have any latency data to prove that however.

* DBP_NETLIB_v1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 21:22:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 21:22:07