Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Starting a rpg help please

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I know this has already been covered in another forum but I just needed to know a couple things personaly to get started on. I know a lot about Qbasic, and I am very comfortable with the program. I downloaded the trial verson of DarkBasic Pro and I am very pleased with it. I will be buying it soon.
Anyways to get down to detail. I wanted to try to do a 3d rpg but to be able to change the camera to be in first person view or 3rd person view. Is it possible without slowing it down to much?
And what exactly should I start off with, coding wise or what not.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 18:26
The traditional answer is to start off with something simple like pong in order to become familiar with the basic commands and learn how to use the help files. From there you can work on more complex problems and by then you can ask better questions when you do get stuck.

My suggestion would be Pong, an RPG battle engine (maybe 2D to start with), and then your 3D RPG. It's a long road, enjoy the journey.
--
TAZ

Jobyman
Years of Service
User Offline
well i dont think there shoudl be any slowdown between chanin camera modes at all. I've never noticed it and i dont see why there should be.

RPGs take a long amount of time, and the first problem is the one youve encountered. What do start with. You have to like spend some time planning the thing out. Its not like with other games where the coding is kinda linear i suppose. Zircher is right, you shoudl probably do something else first. You say you know QB so you shoudl be able to pick DB up quite easily but making a game like that is quite hard.

But if you are going to do it then i think you have to sit down and think about what its gonan be like. I mean RPGs are all so different. You have ot decide what it will be like and then expand on every point and start coding each point.

Everyone is a comedian...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:48:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:48:27