Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Quick question about bandwidth

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 22:00
Hey all, I have a free website with freewebs.com and have run into a little problem. I posted a message today but my sig just showed up as one of those little red crooses. I right clicked it and went to the url and I get a message saying my website has been locked because it has exceeded its monthly bandwith alowance. It will stay locked until the bandwidth is reset or I purchase more, or something like that. The thing is I don't have a clue what bandwidth is and how it got too high, is it too many pictures on my site, not enough, too few visits, what. Please help if your into all this computer lingo. Thanks in advance.

code2kill

PREVIOUSLY codemonkey 0gamemad0
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 22:17 Edited at: 7th May 2004 22:18
every time you post, your avatar and sig are pulled down from your host, the bits travelling off their servers is the overall bandwith allowed minus the file sizes (in bytes or kb). eventually you'll exceed this.

lets say you get 100K/month
you have a 20k sig
pull it down 5 times you're ok
6th time, you have exceeded the bandwidth allowed
at the 101st K you went over

* DBP_NETLIB_v1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 22:39 Edited at: 7th May 2004 22:44
According to freewebs, you get 500 MB a month to play with which is more than enough for a few little graphics. You should really NOT use BMP's as images though as they are much bigger than gifs and jpegs. What is filesize of your avatar and sig???

Also, freewebs does not allow hotlinking of image files for use as avatars and the like anyway. See their FAQs for more info.

According to their site, you should have access to a thing called MyStats which will tell you traffic use and what files were downloaded to break your limit.

Boo!
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 23:00
Bad page design can also be an issue, let's say that you have a gallery with 10 one meg image files. If you scaled the images down instead of using thumbnails, your first 50 visitors would consume 500MB of bandwidth.
--
TAZ

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 00:07
I get around 30,000 hits a month purely from my avatar being shown on the TGC forums

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 00:11 Edited at: 8th May 2004 00:11
Yeah, it's nuts

go to www.dbspot.com, B

I will HOOK YOU UP

EDIT: Wait, you already HAVE hosting from me, why are you still using freewebs? I mean.. COME ON

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free subdomain hosting. Unlimited space/transfer. It's nice, I like it, you should too!
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 02:19
ah, about that, errrr, well its like this, eeerrrrrmmmm.................................................................................................................................................................bye.

PREVIOUSLY codemonkey 0gamemad0

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:01:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:01:41