Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Editor and Engines...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 02:15
um I hear about making a editor and engine when making a RPG what are these for?

A 1 man team
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 02:36
Editors and engines are for making your job simplier. You build tools for your project.

For example:

You could write an object placement engine in which you simple click and drag your desired object into whatever position you desire. Then you can simply export a file holding the objects position data.

This would be much simpler than going into DarkBasic and using the 'Position object' command to move all your objects into place. (Especially when your dealing with 100s of objects"

So engines and editors are simply tools built for games(that can often be re-used) to make the job easier and more efficient.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 04:15
How do you make them?

A 1 man team
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 06:16
You'll have to program them using Dark Basic.

If I were you, I'd check the codebase for examples of pong. You must start small if you're new to programming. For simple games like pong, astroids, etc., you don't need an editor or engine. Once you've mastered creating those, you'll then be able to start worrying about editors and engines.

For now, Dark Basic is your #1 game engine.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 08:50
Iam not new to programming just new to Darkbasic never used a 3d game making thing before had to use BYOND but I basically have everthing set just gotta learn some new tricks

A 1 man team
LordAnki
Years of Service
User Offline
like he said start with asteroids or pong or Alien Invaders. I used byond before too. They are really really different. You can easily make 2d games with darkbasic as wel las 3d

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:31:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:31:54