Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / a couple of issues here

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 20:36
Hey there, I have a cuple of issues to talk about here, ok first one is, dont you ever find coding a game boring, they say coding is fun!, but really, I dont think it's that fun, it takes up a lot of my spare time, and at the end of the day you can createe a game and never get it published, I dont code that much anymore, because there really is'nt anything to code anymore, do you peeps ever get bored of coding? I am 16, just about to leave school, so I guess whats the point continuing coding when I have more things to do in life, what makes you peeps carry on coding?

Second issue, before I explain this, I just dont want you guys to hate me but..well anyway here we go.
Everytime someone makes a great game (only a few peeps can do this coz most peeps create pong and classic type games) you guys say how amazing it is, which yeah it is, but most of u peeps say it's "TOO hard" to create a game, making a small RPG game is'nt really hard, making a FPS is easier, im sorry but thats just how it goes, creating a game is simple, but takes long time to code it, so stop making crap pong games.

Third Issue, I noticed most forums are getting locked, whats with that

Forth issue, I asked before on this forum how old you are, well ok so you cant tell me because of "pedos" but I looked back on the forums a bit, and someone asked "what do you look like", so, you wont tell me your age, but your ok placing your pictures, hahaha you really gotta suck, sorry but...well anyway!!!

Youv'e prob hated me now, but hey someone had to say it

Currently: Making a new game project
Game type: RPG
sidewkdik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 20:43
Oh forgot to say something about the forum about girl coders, there arnt many girl coders coz when they do come on here, they either get bored of coding, go make a real game or you lot scare them, because if a girl posted something, how much you bet youd all gather round......and they get scared of u showing of your computer skills...just a thought

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 20:44
No ones forcing you to continue coding, if you don't like it don't bother.
Making a game is not simple, why don't you try before making stupid statements like that?
Threads get locked when they are stupid/pointless or against the rules, so the ones that are locked are probably one of those.
I'm not really sure why the "How old are you?" thread was locked, possibly because there have been a number of them already, it is a tad contradictory.

Quote: "hahaha you really gotta suck"

yes... you too

In the beginning, the universe was created...
This made alot of people very angry and it has been widely regarded as a bad idea...
Visit http://redeye.dbspot.com
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 20:50
Quote: "dont you ever find coding a game boring, "

Boring!!!!!! Coding is supercalifragulisticexpealidotiously Fun!!!

also i agree with "Red Eye" why don't you try making a game yourself and see if it's really so easy?

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
sidewkdik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 20:50
me 2, well, I would IF i posted my picture lol

sidewkdik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 20:52
Well um, I have created a game before, yes a RPG, and yes it was good, and yes it was quite easy, and yes the graphics were good enough to sell

Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 20:56
prove it...
unless you didnt make one...
anyway i thought you hated coding...

Just to add to the confusion.
Look at my avatar
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 20:57
So what's the problem then? Sell it.

Most people here code for fun, not profit.

It is my rule that disallows "how old are you?" threads, and if something similar slipped by in the past - well, big deal. If someone really wants to give out that kind of info, we can't stop them - but we don't encourage it, it is a quite foolish thing to do.

With our species on the edge of extermination,
with no prospect but a horrible death,
we actually played games.
sidewkdik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 21:00
I do hate coding, after I made my first RPG the coding was totally boring, theres nothing new to making it...may as well just play Final Fantasy

It could just be me, I could just "Hate" to code now, or I need something "NEW" besides coding a rpg...

I cant think of a game to make, it could just be me because i have a lot of work to do within next week (GCSE's coming up) I need to find a job, so if I have a job, I wont be able to code as well lol, unless I was making a game! that would sell

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 21:01
Quote: "Well um, I have created a game before, yes a RPG, and yes it was good, and yes it was quite easy, and yes the graphics were good enough to sell"

uummmm yes i have not seen it, and yes i don't beleive you could make a game sellable, and yes i won't believe you unless you show some proof

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
sidewkdik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 21:10
What? you want proof, well I would love to give you proof, but the entire game is a high high high amount of memory, I cannot upload something as big as that on a website, so I cant proof it, oh so you want a picture, I'm sure if I did that someone else would copy it and says it theres! so im not doing that
Dont believe me, Im not bothered, like I care, at least I found an easy way to make a good game

old time fun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 21:13
I think sometimes for me it’s hard to get the old grey matter going in any direction, but when I do I enjoy it. Programming is something I want to do as with all areas of game design.

I could never say I ever hated programming but I am easily distracted (flashing lights, radio, television or real world blurb) but most times I think as long as you know what you want from something then you can’t go wrong.

p.s. i may have rambled on a bit there
sidewkdik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 21:15
suppose, just depends who you are I guess

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 21:19
Quote: "do you peeps ever get bored of coding?"

No, but I can get tired of coding various projects.

Quote: "what makes you peeps carry on coding"

Money, and lots of it...

Quote: "so stop making crap pong games"

Everyone's got to start somewhere. I personally started with a 2D 6510 assembly game on the C64. Took 6 months to do...

Quote: "forums are getting locked whats with that"

No idea - never seen it happen here. Perhaps you were looking at www.forumlocking.com

Quote: "but your ok placing your pictures"

Most people were putting up 'highly modified' pictures, so its not too bad.

Quote: "Youv'e prob hated me now, but hey someone had to say it
"

No, we dont hate you - just wish you had got a better grade for English though...

Quote: "lot scare them"

Probably get fed up of various people trying to make passes at them...

The place for all great plug-ins.
The Coding Area - From my brain to your browser...
sidewkdik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 21:25
oh well I guess I totally suck now, but

Quote: "Money, and lots of it..."

Money? what you sell your projects? or you make someone something for money?

Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 21:25
your right i dont believ you.

Just to add to the confusion.
Look at my avatar
sidewkdik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 21:27
oh well I guess I totally suck now, but

Quote: "Money, and lots of it...."

Money? what you sell your projects? or you make someone something for money?

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 21:36
I do the software for the company that I work for. I have also sold some of my own too...

sidewkdik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 21:43
Wicked!!!

I guess I'm going to start a new entire project or something and see how that goes, i think its just this time of year coz im leaving school soon and theres a lot to get on with like getting ready to do my exams, emotional etc

i leave on tuesday, prob the last time ever at school, argh...

N E WAY thanks for given me some good information

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I find coding a bit boring, but not all of the time. A good film has boring parts, everything has boring parts. But coding also has exciting parts too! My first games was a text adventure, then a fruit machine, then Monopoly, then a minefield game, then Blackjack. I couldn't start off with an RPG. Thinking up new, and original games is very possible! They might not be totally original, but you can certainly make games that you cannot buy. I have 3 or 4 projects that I am working on that you cannot buy. I have several more ideas for games that are original too. Selling games made with DB is very difficult. You might be able to make a game that can be used as a storyboard for a commercial game though. Take a DB game to a big company, and get them to make it commercial quality. You would find it just as hard to sell a game that you made in C++. You need money to make money.

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 01:06
Is it really hard to sell a game you make in C++? I thought it's what all the big companies used...

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 01:18 Edited at: 9th May 2004 01:18
Just because it's done in C++ doesn't mean it's great. I've seen buggy C++ games that you can't hardly play.

Same goes for DarkBasic(Pro). Just because it's DB/P, doesn't mean it's not good enough for commercial sales. Heck, DUO is probebly the most addicting game out there and I love it.

If I were a publisher, there's a good chance DUO would catch my eye.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 01:20
Not all companies use VC - Some use VB (for some reason) - and there are still many companies that use COBOL...

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "so I guess whats the point continuing coding when I have more things to do in life"

Quote: "Money? what you sell your projects? or you make someone something for money?"

News flash: apparently these days you can get a job as a programmer! Who knew?

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 01:28
so u change ur mind due to mney lol

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is it really hard to sell a game you make in C++? I thought it's what all the big companies used...
"

Most companies use C++ but they are working for the publishers. You are working for yourself, so if you made a game in C++ you would have to take it to someone to publish for you. That costs them a lot of money, so even if your game is in C++ it would have to be amazing to be taken up by anyone. You could put it on the net, but then you would need packaging. If it's a download game then you can only charge about £10 for it. If you are charging £10 for it you may as well use DB or DBPro to make it. You could make more games that way.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 06:23
If you don't get a kick from programming, move on and try something else new in your life. It's not for everyone. It takes skill (lots of it), dedication (even more of it) and the ability to accept criticism of your work (which most people cannot do).

If you think that writing games is going to net you lots of money, you need to come back down to planet earth with the rest of us.

With our species on the edge of extermination,
with no prospect but a horrible death,
we actually played games.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 16:36 Edited at: 9th May 2004 16:37
Quote: "If you don't get a kick from programming, move on and try something else new in your life"

Wouldn't totally agree. One of my pet questions in job interviews used to be "Do you actually enjoy programming?". I used to believe that this was important, mainly because I (and most of my mates) *love* programming. I don't just mean with all the fun bits, I mean I really love pretty much every aspect to do with computers. Give me a letter to type up, and sadly I will love that too. Sad, but true.

Now I've slightly changed my mind about the answer to the above question. I now think it doesn't really matter. I've seen ace programmers who don't actually like programming, but do it for the money, and to advance to something else (such as project management - less brains and puzzle solving type work, but generally more money). I've also seen people who love programming, but aren't very good at it. At the end of the day loving programming normally means you will be doing it longer (measured in years and decades). But you will probably end up working for the people who moved up and became project managers etc.

But I totally agree with the above remark that lots and lots of money keep you interested. Yep, after nearly a decade of programming for a living, I can definitely say the large amounts of cash are a *massive* factor in keeping doing it. Stuff the integrity and job experience rubbish, if they pay you enough to buy expensive cars etc then whayheyhey.

Cheers

Ps. If you don't post even an image of your game then no one will believe you ever. So you are worried about people nicking the images? What, you are never going to release the game then? Right....

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:17:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:17:38