Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Far Cry - I WANT!!! :-)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 22:24
It looks absolutely gorgeous. Has anyone seen it, tested it, played it? What's your opinion?

I just had a look at a TV Show where it was featured. It looked fantastic, and got very nice reviews from the reviewing panel.

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 22:31
I saw it on techtv the other night - looks absolutely stunning.

* DBP_NETLIB_v1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 22:38
I wasn't impressed - the enemy movement looked really funny (and thus stupid), whilst firing over distance kept missing the enemy, they could get me.

Painkiller looks much better.

The place for all great plug-ins.
The Coding Area - From my brain to your browser...
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 22:40
Well, from what I've seen of it, it looks just like the game to give me an excuse to upgrade my PC.

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 23:00
same here - I ahve been putting it off for almost 2 years, although I have kept up with new video cards, but now thats due for a kick in the arse as well (gffx 5200 ultra 128 8x)

* DBP_NETLIB_v1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 23:13
It looks good but I don't really like fps games where your out in the open(yes I know you can go indoors aswell.)

@o_O

What do you mean, I'm too stoopid to understand your sig are you saying 512mb isn't enough

@The Coding Area

Yeh painkiller looks good but I've got a demo and in that you sort of get locked into small rooms until you've killed all the enemies in there, then you move onto a new room and repeat. Just felt a bit repetitive.

PREVIOUSLY codemonkey 0gamemad0
ZOMBIES+SHOTGUN= FUN FUN FUN
Clownpaint
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 23:31
Just bought it today, really impressed at first, then by the time i had to hop into a jeep on the training missions i was getting fed up with the way my comp could barely go 2 seconds without freezing quickly then continuing, it kept causing me to die. Im on a 2.66ghz 256mb, ATi Radeon 9800xt 256mb, 120gb machine, it is the minimum spec for ram, anyway the graphics are amazing, the ai is good the way they cant see you behind bushes etc. but dumb the way they stand and look at you more than they shoot, and are so accurate when they eventually do.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2004 23:50
I'll have to see if I can get a demo of Painkiller...

The place for all great plug-ins.
The Coding Area - From my brain to your browser...
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Holy cr*p! That would never run on my computer. What's the lowest spec?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 13:17
on lowest spec it runs on most computers... but it looks like a totally different game.

not that i think it actually looks nice. too many std shaders used; they went for a realistic look and to me just looks pretty fake.
but cest'la vi eh

to be honest not many games have graphically impressed me, with the exception of a few GameCube title.

Resident Evil 0
Zelda : The Wind Waker
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

to me those games, in particular FFCC show what people who know what they're doing can achieve with the technology.

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5200 44.04 | DirectX 9.0 | Audigy2 | Crystal Clean OS
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 14:30 Edited at: 9th May 2004 14:35
Runs on mine quite nicely, but not on highest details, but i don't mind. Love the mip-mapping on the plants, how it goes to solid colours.

Raven, i agree. And although it seems more realistic, i felt it was a tad to bright and cheerful to be killing people. Make me wanna just walk around and look at the pretty colours instead of kiling people

Spec: Athlon 2600+ Barton, Asus A7V600-X, 512MB DDR RAM, GeForce 4 MX 440

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
3000mhz I can't keep up with computers.

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 16:21
LOL and I thought mine was okay at 2.6 GHz, 512mb and GeForce FX 5200 128mb. Looks like an upgrade is needed.

PREVIOUSLY codemonkey 0gamemad0
ZOMBIES+SHOTGUN= FUN FUN FUN
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 17:34
friend of mine had the beta, played it but didn't like it

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb
Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 17:59 Edited at: 9th May 2004 18:00
Wasn't Far Cry already released more than a month ago? And you haven't heard about it till you have recently seen it in a tv show?

lol anyway:

Far Cry has certainly the best and most stunning graphics of all available games. Not to annoy anyone, but no game b4 had so detailed outdoor graphics (thanks to smooth dynamic LOD ) Then the indoor graphics are also just amazing! The best thing is that there's no loading time when you switch between indoor/outdoor graphics!
And then if you have a directX 9 graphics card all the special effects are really impressive.

But however, although i can't find anything that's bad in the game, it just doesn't make fun to me. I mean i like the mission design, the graphics, the vehicle physics but it just doesn't make any fun to me I maybe played it for 4 hours and then i never played it again

GameVisions Softwares - http://www.gamevisions.cbj.net
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 15:12
Yeah.. I played alot of it a month back or so. And yes, you should get it just to see the gfx. The gameplay is pretty obvious, but the open landscapes make a big difference. Now you can really choose how to get the point b.
aanyway, the difficulty gets pretty insane towards the end and it kinda spoils it.

Quote: "they went for a realistic look and to me just looks pretty fake."

Lol. Another classic from raven.
Far Cry never went for the realistic look. Just look at the islands! It is supposed to be bright and bold. Sorta cartoony, in that sense. It fits the game rather well, especially with our hero jumping around in red hawaian shirt and so on...
But you can change the shaders/look a bit if you want, there are few different render modes available in the menu. The "cold" one makes it look a bit more realistic.

| Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue. |
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 15:20 Edited at: 12th May 2004 15:21
I've seen one of the super old screenshots of Far Cry (From like, a few years ago). Back then it looked like Serious Sam + HL without the terrible Z-fighting. Looks like it's gone a long way since then.

edit: But the game doesn't interest me

.::formerly r_kabouter
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 15:40
Las6, no matter what settings the game looks like it's tried to be real and just ended up being fake.
Hell the game itself although mundaen as an FPS is still pretty enjoyable, what totally ruined it for me are the OTT graphics and classic text-book shaders.
(and they are literally textbook shaders like they've been all ripped right out of the NVSDK 6.0 / CG 1.1 Toolkit)

If you bother to get far enough into the game past the starting area which has the basic islands and such and get into the story, particularly when you get into the more jungle & dare i say 'trying to be Predator' area; the game just looks far to bloody comical to take seriously.

They should've picked a bloody game setting and stuck to it; as far as i'm conserned the game is purely made for graphics benchmarking, nothing else. And definately not worth the £35 price tag; even if it does look better with SM 3.0 or rather feel better, the fact remains it is a weak as hell game that is relying on graphics.

I think the review on GamesRadar (PC Gamer UK) sums up the game quite aptly as 'an interactive version of 3dmark 03'
cause lets face it that's all it is... and honestly the graphics don't even compare the the mother nature demo.

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5200 44.04 | DirectX 9.0 | Audigy2 | Crystal Clean OS
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 18:28
Quote: "the fact remains it is a weak as hell game that is relying on graphics."

Boo-yeah! Go Doom3!

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 23:24
Far-Cry jerks like hell on my 2.66Ghz P4 and FX5200 128Mb :S But I'm not all that dissapointed as the graphics are too bright and plasticy and appart from a few cool shader effects (esp the water is nice) it seems very standard. Plus the animation is very poor.

Painkiller looks cool, DOOMIII and HL2 should be nice but overhyped and if they don't get released soon will look old hat.

I agree that Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals is stunning to look at

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the appocalypse comes, email me
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 00:40
I ran Farcry on the other machine (1.2ghz, 384mb and fx5200), and it runs just fine, just starts a little stuttery, then the drive accesses a few times and it runs smooth after that, the big problem is some weird bugs like mercs that run around backwards, weak AI (not what they promised at all, almost laughable in places) and those rocket launcher guys are a pain in the a***, anyway, noe I`m stuck, so if anybody can tell me how to get past the chief mercenary in the chopper in FarCry?, twelve rockets and several clips later and the darn ship sinks and I get shot up, whats with the rocket and bullet proof chopper and mercenary? (I must have hit him direct 4 or 5 times with the rockets), I just can`t kill the sod, any pointers?

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster, ups.
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 01:00
Lol yes I wasn't expecting those games to run properly on my system. My point was not to bother buying FarCry at all without a very high spec pc. Though a FX5200 is a lowspec card compared to high end cards, it still has a fast clockspeed and 128Mb of deidcated 3d ram, and runs many new games like poop of a shovel Many people here will have video cards older than this coupled with processors older than this, I'm just warning them

As for upgrading my PC, I'll only do that when a few games I really want don't run, perhaps when both HL2 and DoomIII have been released. No point now, as by that time, much better spec stuff will have been invented and the stuff I could buy now will be cheaper!

Unfortunately Far-cry just isn't a particularly good game in my opinion, I have played it properly in a shop too, and was not really impressed. I don't like the graphics style either for the reasons I posted, but that is just personal taste I guess.

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the appocalypse comes, email me
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 06:39 Edited at: 13th May 2004 06:45
Ummm, Far Cry is old in terms of development. Someone in the quake3world forums worked at Crytek, and posted a very early screenshot 3 years ago. At that time, they were already planning to make the geForce3 a minimum spec, even if the graphics weren't as fancy yet as they are now.

btw, the guy left Crytek before Far Cry came out. If you've been to quake3world, his screen name is "GONNAKILLYA!" just to help you remember.

You're happy cause you smile, but how much can you fake?
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 01:47
what a lame game, i liked the water fx and the underwater landscapes but the rest of the game sucks ass, and in multiplayer mode PUNKBUSTER kicks you from servers now and again, the scale is wonderfull however, but the game is plain jane. I played it for a grand total of 20 mins on single player, before joining a multi player game. I gave it to my brother in disgust, but he loves it.

BREED is also another disaster of a game, check out that lean, you can almost feel your ear getting ripped of on the ground, most funny!!

both of these games are AAA releases and both of them are crap!!
and i'm 70 quid down.

better making your own games, i say.

PS. both run quite smooth on my system, and run just as expected on my brothers NINJA, still crap though.

Ranked along side HALO!!! LOL (thats crap too)

it's faster than shite off a hot shovel, honest.
HardBoot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 00:04 Edited at: 15th May 2004 00:05
FarCry is great, lots of new things fps usualy dont have. Your bullets actualy put holes where they hit, or scrapes or hugs gouges through the chest. Hit detection is imaculate, if they have a flak jacket and riot helmet, shoot for thier adams apple... just dope. Reduce the enemies chance of hitting you buy putting one in the arm before moving to the vitals. Pretty good AI, decent weapons, ok control. The island setting, with the huge maps, yeah, i like.

[url]www.FarCryGame.com[/url]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 23:56:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 23:56:14