Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / what are dll's

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What exactly are DLL's? What do they do?

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 22:09
a dll is a dynamic link library file - think of it as a group of code functions and routines without a user interface. you reference the library then call it's functions from your code. we have a kick-arse plugin (dll's) that expose vb.net functions to your dbp code. click below

* DBP_NETLIB_v1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 13:07
basically a DLL is a group of pre-made commands. in fact, every command built into Dark Basic Pro is in a DLL that was made by The Gamemakers. you can also make your own DLLs (with a little work) to expand the capabilities of DBPro.

I remember when I first started using DBPro, I shyed away from third-party commands... thinking they were 'hacks' and would probably screw up my system. boy was I wrong.

when I finally got around to trying them out, DBPro suddenly became a LOT cooler. I regularly use commands in all of my projects that aren't actually in the DBPro box.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Gyrich
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 11:41
lol thanx for shedding the light on DLLs guys, im in no position to deal with them now, (i'm VERY new to DBPro), but its nice to know what they are finally, keep hearing about them.

if someone tries to fail and succeeds, have they failed or succeeded?
Polar Bear
Years of Service
User Offline
How can you include DLL's into your DB Pro application.. Where do you find the 3rd party DLL's to be used for DB Pro
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 13:28
You can get plug-ins from loads of places. I have written a few, so has TCA, CattleRustler has one (see his sig ), but we're not the only ones.

All that you need to do to get them included in your application is use a single command from them.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 16:55

usually you just put the dll in the \plugins-user directory and then just call the functions from code. In our case, since our dll is written in vb.net and can't be used directly, you place the dbp_netlib_cpp.dll in the \plugins-user directory but then you place the dbp_netlib.dll in the game dir, then call it's functions directly.

that's about it

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
Polar Bear
Years of Service
User Offline
How to access com ports using DarkBasic? Does anyone have a written dll in C++ to be used in DarkBasic to access com ports??
Thanks
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2004 15:10
TCA has a plugin for it. You can't do it directly in dbp.

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 09:34:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 09:34:00