Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / some help for my first game.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 04:54
Being new to Darkbasic I am currently making minor models for my first,and small,game. It is going to be a FPS in which all you do is runaround in one deathmatch arena and try to kill the computer players. each level will provide stronger enemies. I hope that this project is simple enough to start with but I have a question.

First is AI. I have no clue what so ever as how to program it. If someone could show me an example AI or point me in the direction of one I would appreciate it.

Thanks for ant help you may offer and check this thread often because I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Nameless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 04:55
Note: I am using DB PRO.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 07:35
It's good you're starting somewhat small. Check out the codebase for examples of first person shooters. Probably the best way to start any program is with planning. You will need to plan:

1. The story/objective
2. Controls (jump, walk back&forth, strafing, turning, mouselooking, can you customize them?, etc.)
3. All of the levels, or only the one if you just add more guys as you progress
4. Spawn points for player & baddies
5. AI------this is difficult
For AI you need to think exactly like a computer. If your arena is made up of simple obstacles you can probably get away with simple AI.

ie (here's the AI's "thought process"):
Check State

If State=SpottedPlayer Then shoot him
if obstacle is in the way, move around the obstacle

If State=can'tfindPlayer Then walk around like an idiot

If gun is out of ammo, then reload

If you are getting shot at run away and hide

That's very basic, and will get you some pretty dumb AI, but it's a basic idea. Check the codebase.http://thegamecreators.com/?m=codebase_list

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: KillZone
Web Site Button Does Not Work, Visit Here: http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/index.html
Nameless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 02:25
Thanks for the advice Bear Crazy Donut Productions . At first though I do not think that I will be including a story, I want to nail all the basic of the game first. I am going to attempt to make some pretty dumb AI in thedemo versin of DB POr. I still have not gotten my copy of darkbasic. Shipping takes too long. . any way i am currently trying to model the deatymatch arena. I will keep you posted.
Monty87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 00:03 Edited at: 13th May 2004 00:04
your first game will be a fps? with AI? aim low why dont you. my first game was a crappy pong game, and it still took me ages. all the luck, cos youll need it boy/girl/hobbit.

Monty
Monty87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 00:05
or are you just new to DB rather than coding, and you are infact a programming genius from Lionhead

Monty

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 09:43:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 09:43:15