Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Yet More Questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 02:10
First of all, I would like to sincerely thank the entire community here. I feel like I am finally starting to "get it." Its taken me several long months of staring at code, beating by brains out against brick walls, and well giving up and starting again, but i feel like, for the first time, I'm starting to get somewhere.

I have a long way to go, I haven't even completed a single project yet, but the End Goal is on the horizon. I attribute this milestone in my programming growth almost entirely to friendly and patient people who post answers here.

However, I still have some questions (and probably always will )

First off, Is it possible to create a large structure in DBPRo using Primitives, and then export the whole thing as a .x file? (or any other kind?) I've looked at all the Basic 3D commands but haven't found anything, and yet it seems I've seen DB programs do this.

Second, could some one wiser and more experienced than me suggest a level format? I've been doing the basic 2D array method:
Quote: "
1=wall
0=floor
"

This kills my framerate, and I haven't even added things like tables, enemies, or anything else more complicated than walls, floors, and ceilings! Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thank you everyone!

Think Gad fro Spill Chock!
Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 05:33
Why don't you make your levels in a modeling program? Seems like that would be the easiest way. Milkshape is free too.

There 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 05:33 Edited at: 11th May 2004 05:34
Odd.. double posted and deleted the last sentence. Thats a new one.

There 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
Social Disease
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 06:19 Edited at: 11th May 2004 07:54
True, but I like the idea of creating my own level editor, something I could include in any finished games I do.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 18:31
You can create your level out of DB primitives and as you create, edit, and delete objects you store them in a list (a kind of array in memory.) When you save the level, you write the list to a file (either as binary or converted to an easy to read text file.) To load the level you simply read in the file, update the list, and re-create the primitives.
--
TAZ

Social Disease
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 21:18
The problem is, if I'm constantly up dating a huge mess of individual primitives, it kills my frame rate.

Ultimately what I want to do is use the Compile CSG command, but this requires an input .x file and an output .x file.

So there is no way to create an object out of primitives and then store it as one model? That would be a good feature for them to add!

Social Disease
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 01:00
I've been working on this, and i think i'm getting closer. DBPro can save a mesh to a .x file, and it can make a mesh from a single object.

Does anyone know how to combine diffrent primitives into one object?

More on this as I discover it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 09:42:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 09:42:18