Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Old DOS games...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 03:12
Ive been doing some research for a game idea to gather info and see if it would actually be good before comitting myself to it. Well at the-underdogs.org Ive found loads of games that sound very similar to what I want to do and I wanted to test them. Problem is, about 75% of games on that site are for DOS. Running Windows XP, is it still possible to play them?

comando 300
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 03:36 Edited at: 11th May 2004 03:36
yes, u just have to open the MS-DOS prompt and then call it.

start>run

type command

CURRENT PROJECT: RETRO PAC-MAN
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 03:58
bah, don't listen to him

only thing to try is right-click on exe and hit the old Compatibility tab, then mess with those settings til it works

otherwise get DosEMU

hehahehahha

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free subdomain hosting. Unlimited space/transfer. It's nice, I like it, you should too!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 04:28
I have a bunch of old parts lying around that I am going to put together and install DOS 6.22 on - and use as a "dos game nostalgia machine". complete with sb16 sound card and a Trident 1 meg video card (eeeewwwww.) LOL

should run cyberia and the 7th guest dos version just fine.

oh yeah, don't forget QEMM too

* DBP_NETLIB_v1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 05:52
HA, I still have my trident 256 kb card... or is it 512... who cares IT SUCKS

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free subdomain hosting. Unlimited space/transfer. It's nice, I like it, you should too!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 12:41
There is a program called DOSBOX which apparently accurately emulates an old DOS PC under Windows XP and runs virtually all your old games PROPERLY! Has good write ups in latest pc mags.

Even better, it's FREE.

See here: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

Boo!
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 13:44
That looks pretty cool spooky, has anyone tried it out?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 15:58
Moonshine, you can run DOS games through WindowsXP without problems with the games themselves...
However you will often come across Sound/Graphics Problems, simply because DOS games are trying to access area's of cards which sometimes no longer exist (ATi Radeon and Matrix Perhilia are good examples)

I will have to remember the links, but
VMMSound is the best Sound Blaster 16 Emulator, infact i use it with all my sound cards for dos games as even my SB16 (yeah i still have a real SB16) doesn't work with them anymore.
Lucasart games are well known for this Sound bug even since thier dos days.
(You can download the latest ScummVM from sourceforge for these games though and they'll run perfectly on Linux/Windows)

The second for Graphics is SCiTECH Display Doctor or Glidos.
SCiTECH is pretty famous and will allows your games to access the new addresses for the functionality it seeks, works on every game.
Glidos will wrapper any Glide based game to OpenGL, which is good for games like Carmageddon, MW2 for dos, etc...

Most games though like Alone in the Dark will work fine with std WindowsXP emulation. For some like Elite2 and X-Wing you will have to change the memory settings so that you have more than 600KB base.

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5200 44.04 | DirectX 9.0 | Audigy2 | Crystal Clean OS
Egyptian Mua
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 04:45
Start>Programs>Assesories>Command Prompt
do you know dos?

if not then cd folder in folder to go to
and cd \ to go to the root directory

-Egyptianmua
Logo, QuickBASIC, HTML, DarkBASIC
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 14:38
Quote: "HA, I still have my trident 256 kb card"

I believe it was 256kb. I still have one in a PC that is still working, although i'm thinking of putting in a 3dfxIII instead but haven't found the need to do so yet. It's the Banshee game server, all it does is sit there running Win95 wishing it had a monitor attached to it...

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 23:44:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 23:44:12