Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] E3 Friday (response to idea thread)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 23:34
Oki, erm well i can't think of a name to give this short notice and potencially silly event.

On Friday I will be unveiling something special I have been working on in DarkBASIC Professional.
Now as I understand Friday is far too short notice (sorry but the idea only came to me this morning), I don't expect anyone else to actually participate.

However I think it would be cool if others can show off what they've been working on, on Friday.
On Saturday I'll get someone to create a site that'll be place on Puffinteractive.com which will have reviews and such of what has been shown.

As this is such short notice, then don't worry so much about this; however in August we will run another, something bigger, better and much better planned.
Hopefully some of you will think this will be good fun to do just as I do.

but please leave comments of what you think here, Friday itself I'll make a new thread called E3 Friday or whatever name people decide; and anyone who wants to submit they simply put it in there.
Probably best to make your own sites to show off what your doing and try checking out the current E3 subsites in each companies sites to see what would be a cool setup.

Generally they have game overviews, speeches, screenshots and a trailer/runtime movie.
this should be enough time for most who already have projects well into development to sort something out to go 'tada!' with.

Well hope to see some good games and applications friday (hopefully mostly games )

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5200 44.04 | DirectX 9.0 | Audigy2 | Crystal Clean OS
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 23:36
So, what will you be announcing ?

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keep your friends close, and your cats even closer.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 23:53
you'll just have to wait Friday, but people in the IRC room have been getting bits'n'bobs so might have a hint at what is comming.

I'll just say ... almost everything in it, has not been seen working in DBP before.

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5200 44.04 | DirectX 9.0 | Audigy2 | Crystal Clean OS
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 23:57
I'll gladly show what I'm up to. I'll start cooking up a webpage for my projects along with some mock up art.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 00:21
is it a game, or otherwise?

* DBP_NETLIB_v1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 01:04
If we're showing non-DBP projects, I'll show some new screenies of WordTris 2.0

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds great, unfortunately I'm not far enough into my current project to really have anything of interest to display.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 01:36
Two things:

1. I think every 2 months or so we shoulod have our own DBP Expo, maybe someone could set up a site with the name and everything and every DBP developer could have a 'stand' like E3, only here a portion of the site, devoted to their project(s) and we could get feedback from everyone on whats hot etc...

2. JEKU - I dont know if you're aware but I read on a site that due to a legal thing, it is an infringement of copyright law to have a game where blocks fall from the top of the screen (i.e. a Tetris style game) that has 'tris' in the title.

Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Moonshine: They didn't copyright the gameplay, i.e. blocks falling from the top of the screen, but it is illegal to have anything with 'tris' in the title. At least, as far as I know.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 01:54
Quote: "2. JEKU - I dont know if you're aware but I read on a site that due to a legal thing, it is an infringement of copyright law to have a game where blocks fall from the top of the screen (i.e. a Tetris style game) that has 'tris' in the title.
"

Dayum--- I knew this time would come eventually. I've been hard pressed to think of a better name. Any ideas?

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 01:57
You could just call it 'words', or, if you don't like that, 'word scramble' or something along those lines.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 01:58 Edited at: 12th May 2004 01:59
WordBlocksFallDownFromTopOfScreenLegally

MOUSE YOU PIG

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free subdomain hosting. Unlimited space/transfer. It's nice, I like it, you should too!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 02:01
WordBlocksFallDownFromTopOfScreenLegally + WithoutTrisInTheNameLegally

* DBP_NETLIB_v1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 02:01 Edited at: 12th May 2004 02:04
@Jeku

WordFall,Word Block.

@MoonShine

Personally I think it'd be good to have something like this every six months or so. Or perhaps one in August and another in March every year. Really up to Raven I guess as he's setup the guidlines as of now. Really like this idea though.

@Raven

Quote: "this should be enough time for most who already have projects well into development to sort something out to go 'tada!' with."

Perhaps the deadline can be pushed back a week? May 20th or so. As you mentioned there's a little bit of short notice so I'm not sure I'll be able to get my projects in a presentable form without at least one more weekend.

[EDIT] Presentable as in taking screenshots, writing info., basic webpage. Not as in only 5% completed.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 02:33
And don't forget the contests!

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free subdomain hosting. Unlimited space/transfer. It's nice, I like it, you should too!
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 03:22
Word thing

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 03:44
I thought the law was just for tetr...but don't know for sure, so better safe then sued

You forgot to read your fortune cookie. It says you're sh!t out of luck.
Welcome to the Electric Funeral!!!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 03:52
Mine is long in it's cyber grave.
http://www.dbg.excaver.com

Trying to get my sig up!
Damn you Angelfire!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 03:55
@Mike ... i could push it back a week. only if i did then it would no longer be during E3.
And i just think it's kinda fitting to show off my project slap-bang in the middle of it

that said if there is enough interest and enough people REALLY needing that extra week then i'll agree.

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 04:08
Quote: "that said if there is enough interest and enough people REALLY needing that extra week then i'll agree."

I'll be willing to showcase a couple of projects, but I will need at LEAST 1 more week (preferably 2 weeks) to get things together.

Since this most likley won't be done this week (parallel to E3), we probably should rename it to something else; "Dark Basic Developer's Showcase" or something to that degree (you get the point)

Amist the Blue Skies...
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 04:18
DBDC- Dark Basic Developer Conference. Tell you what, I may be able to help. Here's two options.

1.) Extend the deadline a week so I'll be able to have some a nice display along with some others.

2.) Give me 2 weeks and I'll write a few articles(That I've been meaning to ) and I can submit them to whatever site. (Personally been wanting to write a Design Document and approaching the game business article.)

I'll try to squeeze in whatever time I can for this. I really like the idea and support it. (Although I do agree it's appropreite to match with E3. )

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 04:54
@Megaton, try
http://www.uploadit.org

You forgot to read your fortune cookie. It says you're sh!t out of luck.
Welcome to the Electric Funeral!!!
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 08:57
Speaking of E3, is anyone playing GuildWars??

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 10:25
I think it's a brilliant idea, DBP having it's own little expo alongside the great E3. It's a shame we all can't meet to do it properly but I guess over the net will have to do, not sure how you're going to set it up yet either. A website sounds like a good idea but similarly, I think it's too late to go full out with it. Next year, for instance, we should setup the whole website idea where each developer has their own little section on the site like Moonshine suggested.

I'm not too keen on every 2 months though, it seems a little too often and I'm not sure there will be all that many things to show. In my opinion we should just stick with it yearly and have it parallel E3 which would be really cool. Of course this year will have to be a different story because it's too late for everyone to prepare properly and everyone wants an extra week, maybe officially start it next year and just test the response we get this year.

It'll be interesting to hear other people's ideas and opinions on the same topic though.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 10:47
Well i just like the idea of parallel this year cause i have something special to show; the reason i've suggested another around august is so we have time to properly set it up and it doesn't coincide with any other events of this nature.

Just on the off-chance it does become big enough to warrent people skuttering around the world
but yeah your right next year would be cool.

As for Guild wars... yeah i'll be on there on/off today 'Oni Raven' incase anyone is wondering. Been hoping i won't be the only one taking advantage of this 3day preview

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 15:41
I'll see if I can do some colouring work in vanSKETCH and make a mesh in vanMESH. Someone has to fly the DBPro app flag - maybe Hamish will post some details of his landscape engine/editor he just released too.

Jeku,
What about:
Wordtrix
Wordrop
Hells Spells

Personally I would'nt change the name at all unless a little beardy Russian knocked on my door. To hell with Nintendo, call it revenge for the Tetris/Atari incident .

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 19:34
i think it would be good to do this "bi-annually" becuase us DBers don't spend multiple years on projects usually and i think if we just did it annually then some of the games would fall through the "hole"

i will not be able to have something ready by friday becuase my project isn't very far...but i may be able to pull a few screenies up in a week from friday(but probably not )

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 19:41
Too bad my projects are way too early along to show anything that would impress... well, yet. If there does turn out to be a bi-anual expo, I'll probaly be able to show a few interesting things in 6 months.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 20:56
Heehee, I think I know what Raven's unveiling. I think.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 22:12
Oki, I probably won't be back until Friday (around 3PM/15:00 GMT) when I'll make my post.

As I have decided to actually work overtime and see if i can't get an actual working demonstration done by Monday.
I amd going to make sure this game is working at a playable framerate on the following system:

Duron 800MHz Processor
128MB Ram
Shader 2.0 64MB Card
DirectX 9.0b
Keyboard
3button Mouse
xDSL/Cable Modem

Currently the package is ~158MB, I am trying hard to get this down alot smaller as currently our server only has 50MB space.
Another important note: the game ONLY runs at PAL Resolutions.
768x576 (4:3), 1024x576 (16:9), HDTV 720P, HDTV 1024i

HDTV Resolutions are ONLY exposes for Radeon 9700/9800/X800 Pro/XT and Geforce FX5700/FX59x0/6800 Std/Ultra cards.

If you card cannot use those resolutions you won't be able to play.
This isn't a case of simply doing it to exclude certain cards and people, this was purely a way to make sure i had a SET resolution and system speed to set for.

Also, yes I firmly believe you know what I will be showing David

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 22:45
That excludes just about everybody on the forums-- I'd say about 15% of the regular forumgoers have cards in that line. It dosen't take much work to simulate widescreen for those whose systems can't render it, you know.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 00:23
Hmmm...I could probably get a site like this up by friday if I had the games and a host...

Trying to get my sig up!
Damn you Angelfire!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 02:06
Van - WordTrix --- what a GREAT idea!! This won't infringe on your awesome game, will it? WordTrix is good because it still sounds like a Tetris-like game but I'd imagine it's copyright free

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 03:20
So is Friday the official date for things to be submitted? If so, where should I submit everything? (Or do you just need links?)

----------------------
As far as the whoe "annual" events goes, I think we should have one in August of this year, and then after that line it up with E3 for 2005,2006,etc.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 05:46
Daaagg raven, I can host your game at 158 mb. We'll talk when you get back I guess... ho.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 07:17
so has anything been decided about where it will be hosted, etc?

I'd like to slap Snowball fight into the mix, it'll probably be ready for a final beta release by Sunday, if not then by the end of the month (I leave for Austria on Sunday, will be gone for over a week)

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 11:12
Quote: "Another important note: the game ONLY runs at PAL Resolutions."

A hope you can post some screenshots for the other 99% of us then.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Raven starts a showcase thread, then explains that none of us will be able to see his showcase...???????????????

Typical Raven post.......

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 12:07
I would say that 80% of the board is UK based (and therefore supporting PAL displays), and so 80% of us will be enjoying whatever it is.

I'd at least hold off until Friday before flaming his ass...

If you were MEANT to understand it, we wouldn't have called it 'code'
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 12:18
Considering all that I am planning to show Friday is the Trailer and Screenshots, don't see how anyone is missed out.

Q: Why make a demonstration at a resolution that only certain cards can view?
A: Because I can. Actually anyone who is worried about this contact ATi, as I have found it is only low-end Radeons which cannot achieve PAL Resolutions without being attached to a TV.

Q: Why not simply fake these resolutions, there are a number of ways to aren't there?
A: Well yes, but the only way to do it and not loose quality is to make the game Windowed on those cards.
Unfortunately by doing this not only does the game look ALOT of atmosphere, more over you loose considerable speed in Windowed mode.

Q: Well why not just say it needs a faster processor for these cards?
A: Because actually alot of this game's speed is graphical based, and those low-end Radeons do not actually have enough instructions to achieve what is needed.

Anyone who is interested in showing something friday, put together a small website for your game/product - don't have to be flashy or anything just make it to big up your product and then post it in the E3 Thread tommorrow which i'll create in the morning.
Once everyones sorted out everything I'll go over it all and setup a proper site for Sunday.

Just in-case any will be wondering, the Demo *WILL NOT* feature anything from the game itself. It has new content, a new mini-story, specifically designed just to show off the technology rather than uncover game elements.

Also the Physics featured in the Trailer are from WOLFY's Tokamak Physics Plugin. This is subject to change as I just didn't have time to sort out my own, but as i was impressed by it right now i'm unsure if it'll bother.
(it isn't credited in the Trailer so i just throught i'd put that out there right now)

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 12:58
hey Jeku, how is Wordtrix <- new name? coming along? I was looking forward to version 2!!

also, any progress on the ROBOI game? still waiting for graphics?

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 00:58
@Raven - You should just make a DivX movie or something like that of the trailer. I have a GeForce 4 TI/128MB and a fairly decent monitor, but I have no idea if it will display PAL resolutions. At least I have broadband, so 150MB isn't a huge deal to waste in case it doesn't work.

@walaber - WordTrix 2 (formerly WordTris 2) is coming along good, except development has decreased since I'm working 5-7 days a week, 8-14 hours a day on NHL 2005. Since the code is C++/DirectX, almost all the graphics stuff is new to me as I'm used to using the regular Win GDI graphics API, but I'm getting into the Direct3D swing of things finally. As for ROBOI, yes I'm still waiting to find a graphics guy :p I have a few artist friends and we're throwing around ideas. What I'd LOVE to do is get my hands on a GameBoy Advance SDK to port the games to it. I would think there'd be a larger market for portable versions of those games. Plus I'd think that GBA game development is cheaper than PC. Maybe I'll post a beta of WordTrix on my site soon because as of right now it's fully playable!

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 01:16
Surely the finished product will not be limited to those resolutions? It is kinda pointless to make a program that 90% of the people can't run. Only you and that other guy .... I think his name was Jones will be able to play. Looking forward to seeing it.

"People don't fail ..... they stop trying." Specs. P4 2.8GHz 800 FSB | 512MB DDR333
GeForce FX 5200 AGP 256MB | Windows XP Pro Full
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 01:38
Well, i'm excited.. I have yet to see any of Raven's work. This should be a treat, because he has a CRAP LOAD to back up But we love him all the same

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 02:37
Quote: "(Soon to be X800XT/GF6800U)"

Don't you DARE choose the 6800 Ultra over the X800XT.. that.. oh.. just take that out of your sig

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 02:41
Well, I've finished a few simple html pages for my showcases. Just need to edit them a little to make sure I don't over do myself in the feature lists.

Most of my programs aren't half-finished though so I'll have to decide what I want to show and claim.

Anyways, hopefully more people will show off their works and make this a big event.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 12:14 Edited at: 14th May 2004 12:14
Its Friday... So, lets see what you've got then

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 13:11
Looking forward to this, its sounds good

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the appocalypse comes, email me
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 17:46
By the way Everwhat - you've spelt apocalypse wrong in your signature.

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 19:34
Thank you. Should be fixed now?

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the apocalypse comes, email me

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 23:44:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 23:44:33