Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / BSP's and the boy who could walk through walls

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 03:15
I'm playing around with the BSP functionality of DBpro, nothing complex. This has probably been covered already but I wouldn't mind a quick bit of advice.

Cartography Shop 4: Firstoff I created block as a floor and then created a circular wall spline around it, forming a flat floor with an uneven wall coving. Literally 30 secs worth of clicketty-clicking.

DBPro BSP Converter: Converted this no problem.

DBPro: Whisked in the following:

Now this is great. It loads up the BSP as it should be visually, with textures.

One problem, I can walk through walls. I'm evidently doing something wrong with the "set bsp camera collision 1,1,0.75,0" line. I freely admit that I don't actually quite understand what a Collision Index is, as the DBPro ref manual puts it.

I believe the problem is either related to this collision index, or down to the spline structure of the wall.

Has anyone else encountered something like this previously and can proffer some guidance?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 04:45
you need to "handle" your collision with code.

I use:
set bsp object collision 1,1,2,1
automatic object collision 2,1,1

the nums will be different to what you have but look into these commands. It causes all collision between you and the bsp world to be handled automatically, or you could code your own like I said

* DBP_NETLIB_v1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
Omikron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 09:58
Thankyou for the response, however it didn't do the job. The BSP doesn't actually register as an object that can be referred to as an object number, which means the program will not compile because there aren't actually any objects in the game yet, except the BSP.

Here's a strange one though.

I found the following sample BSP loading code from a tutorial elsewhere.

This worked fine. Okay, so it looked like I was stuck to the floor (that'll be easy enough to adjust), but I wasn't able to walk through walls whilst running on the latter code snippet.

From my estimations, I can only believe it's the SET BSP COLLISION THRESHHOLD that might be affecting this.

Will try it now and report back.
Omikron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 10:45
I believe I achieved something by playing around with the values in the:

set bsp camera collision 1,0,0.75,0
set bsp collision threshhold 1,0.001

...lines.

Lost it again though. It's truly a great morning

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 09:55:08