Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Nintendo DS

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 21:04
So, what did people think of this baby?

- Super (as opposed to sub N64) N64 graphics
- Touch Screen
- Bluetooth / Wifi mulitplayer
- MSN style chatting
- MARIO 64!!! 0_0
- METROID PRIME COPY! IN 3D! 0_0

http://www.nintendo.com

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 21:09
Mmm. Tasty. Wonder how much they will go for?

How do you view the game screenshots BTW?

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Zenincanin 14
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 21:16
God, I'm gonna pre-order that! I sure hope they'll make a re-make of SM64 so I can uncover the mystery of Luigi since there's a message on a plauqe that talks about L is to then some number and I have to get it so I can beat the game since I erased the data of my original game!

Good Games Are Made by Powerful Coders
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 22:00
I'm more excited by the PSP, *drool* just saw the news realese as I logged on to the internet..oh man i'd seel my right arm for one of those...but then I guess I wouldn't be able to use it...hmm..

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I see the DS as a Pocket Travel computer. Being as I hardly ever travel, it's not much use to me. Give me a telly with 2 screens, and 28 inch width, then I'm interested.

Cavex
Years of Service
User Offline
DS looks great!!!!!!!!!! I got to have one!!!
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 22:44
Quote: "How do you view the game screenshots BTW?"

Nintendo.com, go to DS then software demos.

Quote: "God, I'm gonna pre-order that! I sure hope they'll make a re-make of SM64 "

They are, with added 4 player.

Cavex
Years of Service
User Offline
Has any one see the new Zeald footages? It looks brillant!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted I wanted I wanted now !!!!!!!!!!1
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 22:51
Yep. Zelda looks amazing

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 23:09
Hmm I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, Nintendo has by always had by far the market share of the handheld market, regardless of whether other machines at the time were technologically better. However this time, the PSP specifications are far, far higher than the DS.

I thought two screens was a stupid idea when I first heard of it a few months back, and I still think it is now. The majority of the rime the second screen will just be used for maps and stats, so why not just have these displayed when you pause? Looking down all the time will just make you more likely to crash/die! The only real instance I can think of where it would be useful is if in a 3d game where its difficult to judge a particular angle, IE a 3d platformer or 3d soccer game, you could make referance from 2 perspectives at once... although that idea is kinda killed by the fact that Nintendo has made it clear that the one screen will have no where near as much power behind its processing than the other. They are essentially using different hardware, not just a split view

While I'm sure that some people will come up with innovative uses for the two screens, the vast majority of games will not use it properly, just like the two screens on Dreamcast, one on TV one on controlpad. Far more interesting to me was the idea I saw at a show a while back, a Kirby game I think, where a GC and GBA were used at once, and if you fell off the screen of the TV you landed on the GameBoy That was fun! If again rather limited in actual longterm potential.

Nintendo hardly ever let us down when it comes to hard-ware or games, but if they aren't awfully careful, this could become another "Virtual Boy" They shouldn't underestimate Sony. Everybody did the first time, and look how many great companies are now all but extinct. Its a common fact that the only thing really keeping Nintendo from going under also is the Hand-held market, so I really hope it doesn't lose it to Sony.

As a side note, I'm still perfectly happy with the GBASP. I'm not convinced that I WANT a handheld consoel that can perform as well as recent 3d hardware... I miss the 8 and 16bit era, and its only really the GBA thats keeping it alive. That said Mario64 is the second best game ever imo, so a portable version of that would be great! But it is unplayable in its current form on a Dpad, have you tried playing it on and emulator with a keyboard? Lmao

Cheers, Sam

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the appocalypse comes, email me
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 23:13
Many developers have said they're not going to support PSP until sony come up with a definate business plan - many developers don't know where it's going. DVD? Games? Video? Audio?

It'll also be much mroe expensive, reminds me of the dreamcast

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 01:03 Edited at: 13th May 2004 01:04
I would have thought that in this type of hardware, the most expensive thing is the screen. Won't that make the PSP cheaper? then again, Sony aren't known for cheap hardware

Dreamcast was a great console! Still use mine more than my PS2

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the appocalypse comes, email me
Cavex
Years of Service
User Offline
PSP will be more expenseive then DS and DS have diffent types of games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 21:41
and your trusty pc will blow them all into touch, don't waste money buying crap. your money will be better spent on a second monitor and graphics card. DirectX has had support for dual screens for ages, take a look at WILD METAL COUNTRY to see what i mean, also nintendo don't design all of their own hardware any more, how much of the GC do you think was actually made by nintendo? not a lot. IBM and ATI are pretty much responsible for that console, and the same goes for the N64. Silicon Graphics are mostley responsible for that.

SONY on the other hand, actually MAKE hardware, and as such, in my opinion are the better of the two brands.

mobile phone technology in the next 2 years will also effect the sales of said DS & PSP as they are now becoming more technically advanced than any console.

and as for BLUE TOOTH. well... lets just say the standard is flawed.
i have heard numerous reports of bluetooth jacking taking place and the security just seems to fall to bits.

If mobile gaming is what you want, buy a laptop with a 15" tft and a good video card. it will extract the urine from any handeld plastic junk.

innovative hardware it may be, but up against the other 'just around the corner' technologies they don't stand a chance. it'll go the same way as the virtual boy, sega glasses and nintendo powerglove, innovative, but ultimately crap.

Dreamcast was good, but arrived too late to make the kind of impact that was expected. the PowerVR chipset was really good for the specs. just look at `sword of the berzerk`.

All good things must come to an end, SEGA, ATARI, COMMODORE and i reckon NINTENDO will follow suit in about 5 years time.

SONY has the advantage of being a MEGA CORPORATION and so can survive the failing of a product without too much pain.
if DS fails, ADIOS NINTENDO.

PS. I have been watching the computer and video games industries for 22 years now, and it's crap at the moment.

it's faster than shite off a hot shovel, honest.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 22:00
Quote: "I would have thought that in this type of hardware, the most expensive thing is the screen. Won't that make the PSP cheaper? then again, Sony aren't known for cheap hardware "

The PSP screen is way bigger, the DS uses 2 GBA screens which I hear are quite cheap.

Geecee, you seem to have strong views

Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 22:20
It does have a touch screen!, just Imagine what it could add to the gameplay . I don't see myself playing with a notebook when I'm traveling, I'd be robbed immediatly ... a notebook attracts way more attention. and notebooks start *shaking* when you run intensive programs if you know what I mean. plus notebooks run out of battery faster than a gameboy and it weights more to.

it doesn't matter who makes the hardware if all runs smooth

I've read that the gameboy DS will be about 100$ cheaper than the PSP

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 23:16
sorry david, mussi and everyone else.

it's been one of those days,
credit where credit is due, if it was not for nintendo, where would the games playing people be?

i have fond memories of an early dual screen effort by nintendo in the form of Donkey Kong Jr. I think it had a battery life of eons and it weighed not much more than a pack of ciggies. lovely it was,

I'd hate to see Nintendo fail, but they have so much riding on the impending success of the DS. if it flops, it will break the bank for nintendo. and another chapter of gaming history comes to an abrupt end. The handheld market is dominated by Nintendo and to see a company such as this collapse would have untold effects on the games industry as a whole. the amount of third party soft writers relying on the success of the DS in amazing. If nintendo goes down, so will they, and that will be a bad thing, for all of us!

it's faster than shite off a hot shovel, honest.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:11:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:11:08