Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Anyone have the same views as me?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Does anyone get annoyed with this whole 1337 name thing that's been on the internet for the last eternity. I don't understand the need for aliases. Why hide your identity? I know there is a whole other side for alter egos or whatever so I want to hear peoples opinons on it.

its my new rat tail dog!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 00:36
I just recently heard about it (no fooling!) and I still can't get anyone to tell me what it is!

What does 1337 mean??? Is it just a name or a type of something.

Trying to get my sig up!
Damn you Angelfire!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 00:39
1337 => LEET => elite ... supposedly.

When people use it they are actually indicating the exact opposite about themselves in my experience

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Soy Cocktail
Years of Service
User Offline
1337 is leet as in elite, its a online language used by people that think they are cool. It takes forever to read, and a long time to write. It basically uses ASCII characters instead of normal letters such as a + for a T, and /\/\ for M, /\/ for N, and so on and so on.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 00:41 Edited at: 13th May 2004 00:42
1337=leet. IE elite. Some people think it originated recently, but in fact it's been around since, well, before IRC, even before the internet I believe. It was originally a sort of 'code' for computer-savvy types, so that others couldn't read their messages.

But I think he's referring to people using aliases on the internet.

Why? Because it's safe. There are major personal security and privacy issues involved with giving your name out in the internet. People have been killed over internet scams, murdered meeting internet 'friends', etc etc etc-- aliases make sense, particularly for kids.

Soy Cocktail
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 00:44 Edited at: 13th May 2004 00:46
I use the name Johnny-Tightlips, its from the simpsons. With a diffrent name people see (not literally) me as a diffrent person. It gives people a chance to make up their minds on what you do, and not on things such as names and appearance. It also expresses yourself, such as having a name from the simpsons shows that I like the simpsons. And yes it is a security measure.

So basically I dont have the same opionion as you. But it is respected
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 00:49
I wonder also how many John or Robert Smith's we have on this forum (or whatever the US equivalent of the most common name is)?

The privacy/security thing *is* an issue though. Identity theft is a major problem that is growing fast, and there are always weirdos around prowling for a new target.

If using an alias makes it safer for you to take part in the internet revolution then I'm all for it.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 01:02
l337=l|+3r8

* DBP_NETLIB_v1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
ConorH
Years of Service
User Offline
@IanM
I knew there was someone who agreed! Yeah, a lot of people have this whole best of the best inferiority complex going on.

A lot of 1337 h4x0r5 have this affinity for flaming anyone that asks a question however obvious. Megaton is a great example of the sort of question they would look down upon. No offence megaton

its my new rat tail dog!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 04:38
I reckon it started with number plates on cars before it was coined leet.

think about the usage of characters to express a word with limited space.

here is a good link of references

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=leet+speak&hl=en&meta=

fall down seven times, stand up eight
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
I always thought leet and "1337" had something to do with port 1337...

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 05:31 Edited at: 13th May 2004 05:32
isn't it l337, not 1337

(l|73r8 either way)

The Big Babou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 06:25 Edited at: 13th May 2004 06:26
ha CattleRustler you're so 14m3. of course it is 1337, more precise it is 31337. that was the port, that Back Orifice used to connect. it was a backdoor program. uh ah I'm so 1337

Edit: don't take that too serious

... they call it a royale with cheese ...
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 06:54 Edited at: 13th May 2004 06:55
I wouldn't take it serious as I am not 1337 or l337 - I belong to a different crew, with a bunch of others here, named KAP...

Kick-Arse-Programmers

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 08:53
god, I can't understand any of that crap

Amist the Blue Skies...
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 11:44
Individualism. We all want to be different, I'm not so scared of someone tracking me down and killing me because they know my name, I'd rather know someone was talking to ME when they said "Hey Dave", I know there's at least 10 other Dave's on just this forum (that I know of) but I'm probably the only Exeat on the internet.

For instance, myself and a friend used to search ICQ for names, his was Poiter, there were about 2000 matches, Exeat had 1 match (which was myself). I felt special. I agree though, that whole hacker handle crap is stupid, one example is that movie 'Hackers' where they're all going around calling themselves by their handles in real life - it makes them look like idiots. I'm sure no one here would do that.

There's also the added bonus that if you piss everyone off, you can change your name and start afresh.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
KC27
Years of Service
User Offline
i @m +Eh L3ET35T oPh +3H leE+. EV3n j1mMy C4n't T0P th15, HE'$ 0NLy $eM1-lE3+.

Take That!!

LOL: Just Kidding Y'all

Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 16:53 Edited at: 13th May 2004 17:00
We normally use aliases because you never know if the guy reading the thread is a big hairy man who escaped from jail. LOL, actually it's just for privacy. People could use your name as false information for something. But most of the time it just sounds funkier.

Quote: "think about the usage of characters to express a word with limited space."

Nah, l337 usually takes more space. What you're talking about is IRC talk, like "ne1 hir spk leet?"

Quote: "i @m +Eh L3ET35T oPh +3H leE+. EV3n j1mMy C4n't T0P th15, HE'$ 0NLy $eM1-lE3+."

C'mon, any other half assed l337 can top that. Actually, I don't mind l337. IRC talk is more annoying. It's a forum dammit, you have all the time in the world to type.

edit: btw, l337 also has some extensions when it comes to actual spelling. Like, the word 'hackers' can be l337ified as 'haxxorz' but that's in basic keyboard strokes. The variations can go as far as '|-|4><><0|27_' etc.

.::formerly r_kabouter
You're happy cause you smile, but how much can you fake?
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 20:31
I hardly ever see peple using l33t. In fact, never.

The most I see of it is people who complain about it :p

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 20:58
Quote: "even before the internet I believe"

Yep, the l337 phenomenon started with comms but has been whole-sale abused by the SMS generation, and has changed considereably as a result.

brb used to imply that you where ready (I forget the exact meening) but came to meen "be right back". As an old time comm-artist this caused me some confusion when playing online games for the first time... !

l337ness has also become harder to read as the SMS generation have taken it to extremes. Originally the language evolved as a set of fairly simple and easy to implement/read abbreviations for comms communication which helped to reduce phone bills for the slower typists.

"Hi m8" most of us can recognise as "Hello mate", these early and practical applications where the domain of comm-artists and consequently also the "elite" of that community, so lets look at who the elite where:

"Elite" was the title given to comm-artists of standing, those who's contribution to the scene where noteable enough to make them recognised and deserving of credit.

In real terms this translated to more than just recognition as it had other advantages too, in the old days of comms we had what we called a ratio so i'll explain this.

The net allows us to download as much as we want, but back in the days of comms this would have tied up a phone line on the server constantly and most of them had only between one and four lines. Endless browsing just wasn't practical, so to limit file leeching the ratio system was concieved.

What this meant was that in order to download from a server (called a BBS or Bulletin Board Service) you first had to upload. Your ratio determined how many bytes you could download for every byte you uploaded.

A typical starting ratio would be about 3-1, so for every byte you upload, you could download 3. A good ratio would have been 7-1.

If you where elite, and by this I meen globally recognised amongst the BBS community, then you didn't have to worry about ratios. All you did was log into a BBS and the Sysop would recognise your handle, after confirming that you where not an immitator - even though your on a new board - you would automatically have the ratio limit taken off.

Elite's where truly elite, it had nothing to do with how badly you typed the English language. It was all about status and therefor if you where accredited with being an elite the odds are you really where.

To become elite it was necessary to contribute to the community. In my case, I was notorious the world over.

I no longer use an internet handle except when playing online games i'll call my character something other than myself (after all i'm not really a blue skinned evil knight), in the days of comms though this was necessary because very few of my activities would have been approved by the authorities.

Courtesy of the statute of limitations I can announce that I was Jaguar of the group Hellfire.

I dont really care for anonymity now, I am who I am. I have a past, and I have a future and I dont hide from either. I can understand why some people would preffer to remain anonymous though as we are constantly reminded of perverts and such like on the net, but I dont see myself as under threat from these kinds of people and if I was i'd soon retaliate despite the anonymity of others, I was after all, an elite.

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
ConorH
Years of Service
User Offline
@Arkheii
We?

its my new rat tail dog!
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 08:05
We, as in the people using aliases. I wasn't including you.

.::formerly r_kabouter
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 10:11
Just a thought "TomBosely", is ommitting the space from your name some kind of l337 haxxor way of saying your name? I just had to ask...

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 10:21
Actually I wonder why people omit the spaces from names also.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 10:53
Leaving the space out may be a programming habbit?

TomBosely = 1

"People don't fail ..... they stop trying." Specs. P4 2.8GHz 800 FSB | 512MB DDR333
GeForce FX 5200 AGP 256MB | Windows XP Pro Full
ConorH
Years of Service
User Offline
true thats probably why. I dont think its my semi consiousness 1337 haxor alter ego telling me to omit the spaces tho

its my new rat tail dog!
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Actually I wonder why people omit the spaces from names also."

Spaces aren't allowed in a lot of cases...

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Oraculaca
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 03:23 Edited at: 15th May 2004 03:24
Hmm I recently changed my monicker from the outrageously annoying Cut_Me_Own_Throat_Dibbler to the equally annoying JohnG (My name) I didnt think about it or whether or not to put in a space or whether I was going to be murdered , scammed by fraud or chatted up by a hairy arsed ex/present con. I just did it because I felt like it and because I can.

oh and I had to add the G because John is taken
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 05:00
I liked Cut_Me_Own_Throat_Dibbler

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 12:30
Hahahaah, CMOTD has got to be one of the best, and most creepy characters in the Discworld! Him and Rincewind of course

Mr Pratchett really does have a vivid imagination

My Pen Name is a derivative of a school Nickname that I used to ( and occasionally still do ) get called.
It was Jess-T-Kull ( Meant to sound like Testicle when said aloud ), and this was derived from my name, Jess Telford.

Then, later on, I didn't like the look of the "-" in the name, so I changed it to a whole word that it rhymes with Testicular, hence, JessTicular

The main reason I use my Pen Name is cos it gives me a sence of individuality... And on top of that, my PC and Forum/Internet life is ALOT different to my normal, social life.

And now, since I'm so well known as JessTicular, and I use that tag for almost everything I do, it would be almost idiotic to change it now, lol.

I too am concious of security risks... not so much anymore, but I am always cautious when I have to put in my home address into forms etc. But, for my name... Who cares? I'm Jess Telford. I live where I live. I tell people my name, and hell, they already know it when they use my nickname.

Also, when I use a Pen Name on a forum etc, If someone knows my real name, and refers to me with that, it gives it a more personal touch... Whereas those that don't know me, will use my Pen Name, and rightly so as they don't know me. You follow what I mean?

Anyway, that's enough of my life story ( But It's nowhere near as long as Andy's up there, lol ).
Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 13:58
Just a thought, who came up with the avatar idea?

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 14:09
me...

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 17:59
I use this alternate name all over the place, I have a demeted ex wife who is well aware of my fondness for computing and she has a malicous streak a mile wide, that and problems with identity theft make me loath to use my real name, just habit by now.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster, ups.
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 18:15
I only use l33t to bitch to people when i frag them (ie "ph33r my l33tn355 b1+ch") or to talk back to n00bs for being, well, n00bs

As for me name, its my gaming name. Started when i was playing quake 3 using a tux model. Mr Flibble seemed appropriate and i've been using it ever since

Oraculaca
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 18:21
Quote: "I liked Cut_Me_Own_Throat_Dibbler "

Why thank you Mouse ,im touched
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 02:37
meh cant be bothered to read posts

i use simple form of leet, as in no Ms or Ns that change but T is 7 etc, its much quicker overall

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 23:57:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 23:57:09