Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / lock object command?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, I was looking at the basic 3d commands in the dbpro demo and I came across lock object. I was looking for a command that would place a 3d model at certain xy coordinates on the screen and always be there, like part of a hud. Is this what I was looking for? Can someone give me an example of what lock object does if not? Thanks in advance.
I am the very disease you pretend to be.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 22:20
it doesnt place an object at a specefic x y coordinant on the screen. It places the object in space, and it locks it to the screen. That means it appears over every othet object in the level. It can still be moved and edited, but no matter where you put it it will appear on top of everyting else.

Yes, it will work as a HUD. Check out the tutorials at www.darkbasic.com under "create" tab, and it will explain further a way to use a textured plain to make a hud.
Epidemicz
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool, thanks a lot man.

Easily Confused
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 22:28
Here is a very basic example:

"Earth is the cradle of humanity,
but one cannot live in a cradle forever"
Konstantin E. Tsiolkovsky (1911)
Epidemicz
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your help guys. I understand it now, but there is one thing I don't get; what is with the wicked xyz coords? I had to use 2.85,-1.7,4 to get my object placed near the bottom right corner..??

Also, is this method used in making inventory screens or any type of in-game menu? Or is there a better way to make those?

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 02:16
as soon as u lock it the ground zero co ordinates change to the curent position it was locked at.

Its best to use a limb since the lock command will make a loaded model have missing polts or faces.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 05:14:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 05:14:56