Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Vintage Gaming/Computer Systems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 01:16
I'm planning on getting one- which one?

Good Games Are Made by Powerful Coders
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 01:47
how bout one an old one.

Amist the Blue Skies...
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 01:48
Stop trying to be cool

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free subdomain hosting. Unlimited space/transfer. It's nice, I like it, you should too!
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 01:50 Edited at: 14th May 2004 01:51
Depends what you mean by Vintage. You can't go wrong with a Spectrum 128 or Comodore 64 You'd probably get more fun nowadays out of an Amiga with a load of copied game disks though

By my reckoning they're not "vintage" yet, but one of the best collectors systems is a Saturn if you can get a modded 50/60hz one and get some jap games, there's a wealth of amazing stuff for it.

Or just by a Dreamcast, and emulate any old system quite easily, plus play great modern(ish) games too!

Personally my choice of a harcore system to collect for would be a Quikshot/Watara Supervision, not many games released and not as cliche as many other systems to collect

(I would point out that copied disks, emulators and roms are illegal, but technically buying any video games second hand is against the original user agreement )

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the appocalypse comes, email me
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 01:50
Id get an NES. I have one and play it more than any other system.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 02:05
Does anyone remember the Jaguar?

http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~fuchs/museum/Jaguar/photos/photo_4.html

Amist the Blue Skies...
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd get a megadrive. You can't beat a good game of Sonic! Plus there are games for the Megadrive that I haven't managed to find emulated, like Gynoug which was great too!

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 03:48

* DBP_NETLIB_v1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 03:50
I love vintage machines, perhaps more than my Xbox or NGC. I have an Atari 2600 with about 20 games. I have a 3DO with about 20 games (including the much loved Road Rash). This is just scratching the surface But yeah, I'd recommend getting either or both of them. Look on Ebay for great deals.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a 3DO as well. The Need For Speed is great on it. Much better physics than on the other platforms.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 12:35 Edited at: 14th May 2004 12:38
If your after true vintage, you should go for a Vecterex.

Awesome little standalone machines that come built into it's own display with 2 controllers. The games are all vecter based like the original Asteroids and Tempest arcade machines.

If you can't get a Vecterex then a Dreamcast is a good emu console, I mean you get Dreamspec which comes complete with 200 legal games (classics though) and you can even play with a DC keyboard, the SNES emulates nicely, and the NES emulates perfectly - you can even get MAME for it.

Of course old arcade cabinets are fairly cheap at auction - old classics like Xevious for instance can go for as little as £30 if you can find them. But really, for an investment you should go for a good old 60's pinball table - far easier to sell on.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 12:37
I'd get an Xbox.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 13:33
My favourite Need For Speed was the 3DO version, right up until Underground was released recently. I don't know why I like Underground, I shouldn't, I hate the whole MaxPower generation thing, but the shallow presentation and sparkly light draw me in

Running Emus on DC is great, you don't need to chip it or anying. I run NES, SNES and my personal holy grail, European Master System Games

I bought a Jaguar. Hideous pad. A good version of Doom though, and Alien vs Predator was cool, as was a rubbish but amuing game about Mutant Pengiuns. Amusing how the world's first "64bit" console was vastly inferior to the Saturn & PSX lol

If you decide to go along the Megadrive route, I'd thoroughly recommend the following setup:
Megadrive 1 + Mega CD 1 + 32X
With the Sonic Games for MD, Sonic CD & Final fight for MCD, and Virtua Racing Deluxe, Virtua Fighter, and Knuclkes Chaotix for 32X Man I soooo regret selling my old sega set-up for a Playstation

A Vectrex is one of the few consoles I don't own. I do own almost everything else though, even a Virtual Boy, Supervision, CD32, CDi, Gamecom you name it I wasted money on it

If you've really got money to throw around on collecting, what about a proper NeoGeo setup? I have one with Metal Slug 1&2 & Puzzle Bobble & Fatal Fury Realbout No other games though they are so expensive its cripling. Or how about actual Arcade units? I'd kill for a twin Daytona! I used to have a Outrun & Mortal Kombat plus a few others but had to sell when I moved

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the appocalypse comes, email me
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 14:47
Get an Atari Falcon... or an Acorn RiscPC...

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keep your friends close, and your cats even closer.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 14:54
Ohh Atari's could'nt be more vintage. I loved the Falcon, I mean compared to the pants PC's you got with Win3.1 at the time - the Falcon just looked head and shoulders above any PC. Damn that was back when CD-Roms were a luxury item, considered really useful if you had any Kodak picture disks .

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:05:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:05:03