Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / New reality show is disturbing and makes me question people's values

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 02:27
Superstar USA is a reality show where they have really awful singers perform, thinking they are good singers. In reality, they're judged on how *bad* they are.

In order to make the audience members not boo or laugh, they were told beforehand that the singers were terminally ill from the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

There is somebody that was very dear to me that was terminally ill who took my family on a trip through the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and the foundation doesn't deserve to have this show mocking them. I think WB has sold out in an effort to cash in

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,119593,00.html

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 02:34
Yes is a blasted shame.. but i'm still going to watch and laugh

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free subdomain hosting. Unlimited space/transfer. It's nice, I like it, you should too!
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 02:48
Quote: " I think WB has sold out in an effort to cash in "

duh...

I HATE reality TV shows (or at least the ones where there is a "Competition" or game involved); Thier roots are in game shows (think the dating game, or even the Gong show) and I think they are the worst form of entertainment ever.

But I have a gut feeling the reality TV craze isnt going to die down soon. If you look at it, reality TV shows are cheap to produce and can easiliy grab peoples attention (thats why they only last for short periods of time). And weather or not people are discusted with it or not, the Networks only care about ratings...

Amist the Blue Skies...
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Distraction is bad enough. I watched it once, and once only. A girl had her finger broken in a mouse trap, she had her body pierced in about 5 different places, then she won a car, only to watch her new car be smashed up, one piece at a time by her father.

Cruddy TV.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 03:57
What!?! That's almost crazy enough for me to enjoy

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 09:58
Quote: "Superstar USA is a reality show where they have really awful singers perform, thinking they are good singers. In reality, they're judged on how *bad* they are. "

Oh, you mean American Idol.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 12:55
Come on Pinch!!! - Distraction rules.

That was the first episode so they went a bit overboard. Now it's usually harmless torture they inflict on their contestants, like:

* Making them sit on a toilet and have to pee to answer a question.
* Giving them a handfull of elastic bands and everytime someone else answers a question they have to put one on their face.
* Attaching electrodes to the buzzers so they get an electric shock.

It is awesomely funny and I urge you to watch it again.

I can't stand pop idol style programs, it's basically just record companies finding new ways of subjecting us to stars who can't make it on their looks. I mean the cute ones are voted off quickly leaving those reprebates that people get attached to because of whatever unfortunate affliction they happen to have.

Johnny Rotten in I'm a Celebrity was the only reality TV I enjoyed, I'm quite happy to watch someone act crazy and throw the odd fit - I have no time to sit watching idiots talk about themselves. I was pretty fascinated by that staying awake thing too, people are so funny when they're deprived of sleep .

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
KC27
Years of Service
User Offline
This was indeed sad, the Make-A-Wish foundation alibi was a bit off the deep end.

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 13:42
This sounds pretty poor ethics, but people might not realise stuff like this was going on anyway.

As some people will remember from the time, I was on the very first series of PopIdol. The auditions shown on the screen with Simon Cowell et all are NOT the first round auditions, far from it, they are actually forth, in order to weed out people they don't want on the show. However they don't weed out the bad, just the AVERAGE, hense boring. So they purposely LET bad people through the first three rounds, encoraging them to think they had a chance of winning.
By forth auditions, I also mean forth DAY! These people were hanging around in London, with press all around them, getting their hopes up, and no-one had told them they were bad. The other contestants didn't know as we weren't allowed to sing to each other, but we all bonded close friendships over those few days. THEN the poor suckers had Cowell et all diss them down on National TV, telling them they should go home and give up, after 3 days of other judges going "fantastic we'll have you through!".

Thankfully I was one of the better ones, and so was let down gracefully a while later, but I saw many people who I had become friends with taken advantage of in this cruel way. When the show aired I sold this story to a few magazines and papers, and gave the money to charity - I couldn't let them get away with that kind of treatment of people's dreams

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the appocalypse comes, email me
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 15:05
Everwhat, you've just confirmed what everyone already suspected...they don't want performers, they want characters.

BatVink
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 14:35
Can't beat that show "Something about Miriam". Basically a group of blokes had to pick a women out of a lineup. They obviously picked the superstar model looking one. Anyhows, they then live with her (Temptation island stylee) and try to score with her basically. What they don't know is she is actually a man, and he hasn't even had the "op" yet.

Hmmm. Apparently it was made over a year ago, but it only aired this year because it took that long to sort out things with the blokes who basically sued them. Think they all got something like £200,000 (about $435k) each. They were crying and everything in the last episode apparently (didn't see it).

There is also a show now where a person pretends to have won a million. They have a presentation with semi-famous people and everything. A film crew then follows them around all week while you see their family breaking up because they want some of the money. Haven't seen that one either. But grief.

Sigh, and I suppose we should now accept Pop Idol as our new shame... all that taking over the world years ago etc etc pales into insignificance....

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 15:38
Quote: "Can't beat that show "Something about Miriam". "

The first episode of that aired Thursday night down here. I thought the guy thing must have been a joke, apparently not. o_O

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 15:56
my head is spinning from all the reality tv crap. Half of which isn't reality - it's clearly scripted for drama value.

DUN DUN DUUUN....

<pukes>

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 15:59
The romans used to kill each other in their shows - at least we're not at that stage ... but for how long?

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yay Big Brother was advertised last night!!!!

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 17:13
wait till they air

Real tournament 2005

and you see see some of your mates pushed onto the stage along with some crazed bikers who have been promised a lifetime drugs supply if they "top" em, while your mates are promised a million or something if they survive , all this "reality" dross is just purile drivel, sad and cheap telly for sad and cheap people with no values or wits.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster, ups.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 17:39
All reality shows are fairly sick.

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 02:49
They should do reality coding!

'Look how Killswitch Sheela shovels handfuls of coffee beans into his mouth - hot water just isnt his thing' (in a david attenbrough voice)

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 05:37
Ugh. I hate reality shows. Actually, I have to admit a national flaw here. Reality shows are only big because Sweden was the first country to air the first reality TV show (Survivor). We were the test case.

When it became a hit, everyone else followed. I should have put some TNT in the main TV distribution tower at the time, but I was living abroad then.

Last year we had a reality show called The Farm - Africa. In this thing a bunch of people is collected and is forced to live on a farm, but they have to live in 19th century conditions. Last year the producers decided they wanted to up the ante - and introduce a bit of danger.

They put this dozen of urban swedes into the south african bush with the spiders and the scorpions... Ugh.

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 11:01
Quote: "Last year we had a reality show called The Farm"
Yeah, we had that a few years ago. Think they plonked them on a farm on a remote scottish island or something. Great. That spiders one sounds like "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here". Same old BS in a different package.

Interestingly there is a new one starting soon called something like "Disfigured celebrities". Basically they get celebs (Caprice is in the first one) and basically give them makeup to look like they have had 1st degree burns to their faces, or somesuch terrible accident. Then they walk around London with hidden cameras. Hmmmmm. Then there is a new game show called "How gay are you?", with advert catchlines like "Moisturiser is just gayness in a tub". Hmmmmagain....

Seems like those PC-tastic days of the last decade are gone for good!

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 23:54:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 23:54:01