Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A problem with my Breakout game...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, everyone; first time here.

I've been working on a simple, 2D Breakout game for a couple of days now, and I keep running up against a problem:

The game won't register collisions between the ball and any green or blue bricks. Any other color is fair game; just not those two. I've confirmed this by editing the single .bmp the bricks all come from (a 16-color .bmp, specifically) and swapping the bricks' colors around; if the brick is blue or green, the ball passes right through it without any reaction at all.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks for the help.

Captain of the Gravy Train.
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 00:31
save your bmp as 32bit and see what happens (just convert it in some paint app to 32bit colour...most will let you do that), it may just be a code error, but you can get problems with low colour screens/images (normaly alpha or transparency), worth a try, if that doesnt work then it may be your code at fault, are you using the DB sprite collision or some homebrew collision code?.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster, ups.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 02:18
I can only assume that you're using some kind of pixel collision? Otherwise, colors wouldn't affect anything.

"eureka" - Archimedes

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 09:45:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 09:45:12