Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What tutorials come with DBPro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've only got the demo, so no tutorials come with it. I was wondering what all I get with the full version. Plus, what examples come with it. Thanks.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 04:00
There are helpfiles in the command lists.

Example files to explore

and a booklet explaining a FPS game with code snippets

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 04:00
not to mention the forum help if u get stuck

Hilmi2k
Years of Service
User Offline
I still think the tutorials that came with darkbasic are far superior to those in the pro version.

The pro version barely could get away with what it came with calling it a tutorial

Sentinel
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks indi, but I was asking WHAT tutorials and examples came with DBPro. I already know that DBPro comes with some, which is why I was asking WHICH ONES.

Hilmi2k
Years of Service
User Offline
you cant count on the tutorials provided. they are very badly explained and they assume already know darkbasic. They are more of a walk through than tutorials. Designed to give a general feel of the language.

I think that DB Pro looks like it is a very powerful programing language, but you need to sort of study a lot to get started and look for the forum as a great source of help. Actualy, forget the tutorials, try and get hold of the first versions tutorials then build up from there.

The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 18:23
There is one tutorial where you learn how to make a simple fps game using a .bsp map and some (fairly rubbish) ai.

Example projects:
3dVideo - a .wmv file is loaded and played as a texture on a plain which rotates about a bit, sounds are played and some text is displayed on the screen.

FaceDemo - a .x model of a head is loaded and rotates to follow the mouse, with some lighting and spheremapping. Not the same as the one that comes with the trial version.

LTypeDemo - a game like R-Type (2d side scroller) done in 3d using models, a matrix and some particle effects.

Planet Potter - planets approach, and you have to click on them and shoot them away, with lots of sound effects.

PlasmaDemo - one of those annoying sliding block games where you have to slide them around and unscramble the (moving) picture.

RoadTerrain - two motorbikes cruise down an infinite road while some music plays. It looks quite nice.

RoomDemo - guide an animated character around a (very small) castle, with nice lighting and particle effects, and context sensitive controls and animations, and collision detection. There's also a basic map generator if you look around in the code.

SphereMapping - gasp as you watch what looks like a Klingon ship fly around over a planet, and marvel at the spheremapping effects last seen in Star Wars Episode II. It looks really really nice.

WebDemo - opens a web browser on the DBPro home page.

As well as all these, you get showcase and functionality examples for these topics; core, text, input, file, display, basic2d, bitmap, sound, music, sprite, image, animation, light, camera, basic3d, matrix, world, particles, 3dmaths, ftp, memblocks, multiplayer and system. Also examples headed; mesh manipulation, primitive texturing, pixel shared usage and collision functionality. The showcase ones generally look nice, and the functionality ones might contain useful code.
Kale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 20:22
The tutorials/demos that come with DBPro are absolutely rubbish! even by noob standards! Infact last months PC Format stated, and i quote: "The sample projects provided are decidedly limpwristed and do little to show off the software's potential". 'nuff said!

What the flame does not consume, consumes the flame.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD XP2100+, Geforce4Ti 4400, 512Mb DDR, Abit KX7, WinXP Home
Sentinel
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the replies. I've been checking out the tutorials
at the different user websites, so I know there's lots to work through and keep me busy.

As for the demos, I've downloaded room, face, ltype, spheremapping, waterslide and roadterrain. The room demo showed some potential like I stated earlier, but the rest definately needed work. I know these are only simple demos and don't show the full power of DBPro, but these were some of the problems I had.

RoomDemo - The player was able to walk through the walls at certain points in the green-lit room, and the camera didn't turn fast enough to keep up with the player(although I'm sure that could be fixed with code).

SpheremappingDemo - It runs really slow on my computer and I've got a PIII 1.3, 384 MB RAM, and a 32 MB video card. The demo was barely playable, it ran way too slow to be of any use.

WaterslideDemo - It's a really simple level, just one long tunnel with corners(so there's not much in the FOV), but the most I was able to get was 42fps. To me, that's unacceptable. I can't imagine how slow it would have run if there had been more entities moving around. I did like the way you moved on the water though, I thought that was pretty good(it gave me a few game ideas).

LtypeDemo - This was a pretty cool demo, I like the way the terrain moved depending on how you moved your ship. What I didn't like was the clipping problems. The player's ship and the enemies bullets passed right through the terrain. Obviously that shouldn't be happening, and I don't know if it's a flaw with the engine, or just a coding flaw.

I think what bugged me the most was the low fps I got in the WaterslideDemo. 42fps in such a simple level isn't something I could deal with. When I loaded the sample level that came with the other engine I use, there's people walking around, moving platforms and a much wider open space with buildings and sprites, and I was getting 85fps.

The low fps is either a coding problem, or a flaw with the engine. If it's the engine that can't handle level geometry very quickly, I can only assume that it'll be fixed in the next patch, or very soon after that.

If I was making simple arcade style games, then I can see myself buying this engine, but I want to make FPSs, and I would need a much higher fps than 42. I've been searching through the forums and it seems that a lot of users are talking about getting 30-40 fps, and talking like that's the norm.

Once again, I think this engine definately has potential and the feature list(when they all work) is fantastic. But 42fps? If that's the way it's going to be, then I may have to look elsewhere.

Kale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 01:52
the fps should rockets with the next patch, the whole 3d engine is gettng a facelift apparently!

What the flame does not consume, consumes the flame.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD XP2100+, Geforce4Ti 4400, 512Mb DDR, Abit KX7, WinXP Home

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 18:24:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 18:24:29