Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Life after the Video Game Crash

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 20:13 Edited at: 15th May 2004 20:30
not sure if this has been posted here before but i just thought it was a pretty interesting read!

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/games/crash.html

when the author says, and i quote:

Quote: "Why Nintendo Won't Seem So Crazy in 2005"

does he mean Nintendo's decision to exit the console market and focus on handheld games?

[edit]

or is it to do with what Hiroshi Yamauchi said about the computer game technology getting stagnant?

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 20:26 Edited at: 15th May 2004 20:27
he's got a point... and he's funny
i rather like funny pointy people...
'nuff said.

Quote: "There's a reason why people still go to operas while live gladiator contests and public witch burnings are both rare and poorly-attended"

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 20:38 Edited at: 15th May 2004 20:38
if you really like the article then you gotta check out his site... pretty funny stuff!

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 20:42
He has a point-- but not a good one. Not only are we 'miles' away from 'photorealistic' right now, but there are future enhancments that we can only dream of-- true 3d surround graphics (virtual reality), other forms of sensory input, etc etc etc.

Furthermore, it's actually NOT just innovation that keeps people playing. Generations move on, people die, new ones are born. These new ones are not jaded with the market. Even if a complete technical plateu was reached, new generations would still continue to play video games.

Furthermore, here we have another flaw in his argument:

Quote: "Video games are not the new Hollywood. Hollywood is the new Hollywood. Films (well, good films) present their tales with masterful pacing and suspense and actors we love. Films are relying on an art form (drama) with a thousand years of popularity under its belt.
Games try to trump that with interactivity, letting you control the outcome. But the more control the gamer has, the more the pacing is ruined by brainless repetition (leaving the task to the gamer presents the possibility the gamer will fail 30 times in a row). "

Wrong. With constantly expanding data formats, a technical plateu would only SPEED the growth of game content over quality, which, while not a perfect tradeoff, would still be something quite new. There's currently no game out there which keeps hitting the player with new stuff after ten years of playing, but if this theoretical techincal plateu comes about, this would be quite possible.

Design time a problem? Not really. Algorithmic content generation is becoming more and more of a possibility. Games might be sold less as pre-set titles but as generators of games within a certain theme; pop in a random seed and you've got a unique world with years of gameplay and enough twists and turns to keep you interested. The expansion of hardware technology will make dynamic content generation become ever more vast and all-encompassing. Things that could only be carefuly, painstaking scripted in 2006 will probaly be typed up in a few seconds in the right engine in 2012.

To conclude, there will be no market crash: This guy dosen't know what he's talking about.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 20:54
Interesting... he's right, he does sounds like one of those crazy doom sayers who stand in the street shouting 'the end is nigh'

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5200 44.04 | DirectX 9.0 | Audigy2 | Crystal Clean OS
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 20:55
He's bright being me or the guy who wrote the article? Because that's basically my point too

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 21:20
A further add btw...

Quote: "Sony has bragged about the mini-supercomputer at the heart of its next machine for a couple of years now, a custom chip designed by IBM. It'll truly be a one-of-a-kind, unique gaming experience.

Unless you own an X-Box 2.0. IBM, it turns out, is making a similar chip for Microsoft's next machine. Oh, did I mention that IBM is also doing the chip for Nintendo's next?

The three companies hired to do the graphics processors for the machines are, in order, ATI, ATI and ATI. "

Playstation3 TX81-Based 128bit Processor (not PowerPC)
Xenon (X-Box2) X86 64bit Processor (2nd Generation)
GameCube Advance PowerPC 64bit 604 Processor (64bit version of what they're currently using)

although it is true that IBM are the ones developing and producing them (damn these guys are gonna have a good 5years), all the processors are actually completely different designs.
further more Sony are still using an inhouse GPU designed by IBM (who have access to nvidia and radeon 9-series technology), however thier psp will feature an Imageon.
Microsoft have already cracked the deal for the R400, the original design for the X800 (Radeon 10K) which is around 2/3rd the speed.
Nintendo on the other hand, will not say who they are using; ATI was not looking favourable due to thier lead developers,

Sega, Squaresoft (the game designer studio) and Capcom have all said that development took far longer than they had planned causing budgets to be stretched.
I have a feeling that IBM might be swaying to produce a version of the 6800 for it, considering they have a reported 60% of thier production and budget going into producing and redeveloping these processors. Nintendo are thier main customer (and have been for over a decade)

But that's probably wishful thinking and they might go with another Radeon, but i doubt it... Nintendo want thier game system to be state of the art to push games to thier limits, that is why they chose the Radeon 9700 over the Geforce 4 in the first place; Because it was technologically better.

We'll see though eh.

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5200 44.04 | DirectX 9.0 | Audigy2 | Crystal Clean OS
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 03:37
That guy needs help. People will come out with new technology so that the hand twitches will be different every time. New gendres. Maybe video games will replace real life(then I can program my own Brittany Spears, hehehehe).

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 06:12
I think hes right.

You can only make graphics so good, and VR will never fully catch on.

Things dont look good for the video game industry...

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 07:31
I'm not saying that I fully agree with what he is saying, but we, the indi developers, should look at this as a blessing. It means, maybe people are getting sick of playing the same FPS games repackaged with fancier new graphics over and over.

It may be time for some fresh gaming ideas to keep the market alive in the near future and where will they come from? Well the indi developers mostly!

Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 08:15
I agree with the author as well.

When I go to the store and see TONS of games for sale, they all kind of blend together. Many of the games today are just not original.

Buy the game - do the 30 minute "training" level - hack and slash your way to the end. Big deal?

I've never played many of the First Person Shooters on the market today. What's the big deal? It's just another shooting game. If you've played one, you've played them all.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 14:18
I think the effect will be the opposite.

Once photo realistic graphics are completely normal, game makers will only have to focus on gameplay and storylines etc.

You won't be able to get a game on the shelf by simply making it look good.

Only the great games will survive, the ones which exist now but are kept out of the shops by FIFA 2005

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:02:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:02:05