Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Stars in Space

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, I have an inverted sphere, but I always have to set it to the camera position. So, that means, when you go forward, you are, but the way the sphere is, it looks like you aren't. If I don't set it to the position of the camera, you can just move out of the sphere.

So, anyways, I looked at some posts. One guy had alot of spheres as stars, but someone else told him it'd be too slow, and to use plains.

I know what plains are. Sprites that can be 3d positioned in a 3d world. That's all I know. I have no idea how to load them, or use them, or anything. A little help?
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 04:51 Edited at: 16th May 2004 04:53
The inverted sky sphere is a good method, especially if you need full motion and rotation control.
--
TAZ

That's what I used in these TCOM2/VirMin screen shots:
http://www.geocities.com/tzircher/tcom_gallery.htm

Yoshiman1
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, but like I said, you couldn't tell whether you were moving or not.
BLink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 07:23
im probably being really dumb, but how do you invert a sphere in dark basic, or can it only be done with 3d rendering programs?

back on subject, best way to show motion in space with stars is to add something extra. Lunar ground, asteroids, nebulas, etc...
if you can add in that little extra thing that is real, that'll work
otherwise, I'd suggest you make the MAJORITY of the stars part of the texture, but a small few in 3d space.

www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 14:04
I'd go with that last suggestion. If you have an imaginary box around the camera, when a star leaves one side of the box, you reposition it to come back in on the other side.

You can invert a primitive in DBC and DBPro by specifying a negative size.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 09:39:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 09:39:52