Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Making just the Texture show(DBPro)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 18:20 Edited at: 11th May 2006 19:38
i need to be able to "paste" a image on a plain and have the black "parts" of the image not show, aswell as the plain not showing.(so in other words all i end up with is a 2d "shape" defined by the NON black parts of my image)

i have messed around with all the commands that come to mind(set colorkey, set object trasparency, ghost obejct on...ect) and have drawn a blank...

any help would be greatly appreciated

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 18:44
Like this?

[beat the machine that works in your head]
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 22:19
that's pretty much what i'm doing except all i get is the plain(no pun intended) texture
what i'm doing is taking my animation placing it in the upper right corner of the screen the grabbing a image of it's current frame. and then texturing my plain with the image, then seting my plain to transparency...but all i get is a the plain texture (instead of the parts i want to be invisible being invisible... )

here's my source if it will help you any...(note: will not run without media)

i have tried setting the colorkey...but to no avail here's a screenie of the disgusting plain...

as you can see all black except for a hint of grey(wich may come from lighting )

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 23:03
I didn't read the code too thouroughly but would PLAY ANIMATION TO IMAGE help? Just play the animation to an image and use that to texture the plain.

[beat the machine that works in your head]
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 23:16 Edited at: 17th May 2004 23:18
Thanks!
that got rid of the messy "pulling image onto screen, grabbing image, pushing of screen" process....

But it's still not apearing invisible

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2004 00:22
animations don`t do transparency, sorry, been there tried that, I tried to make an animation mapped to a matrix that was being animated like water , but black is black in animations, you can`t make it go transparent, also note that computers like their black to be black, nearly black won`t cut it, it has to black if thats what you set as the colour key, pity realy, I was making this tech demo that was gonna have neon signs and video panels reflecting in puddles with rain falling into them etc, anyway, when the shaders get more sorted then it should become relativley easy to do that sort of thing, maybe you could make a shader that would do the job by not mapping parts of a video that where below a certain light level or something.

Mentor.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster, ups.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2004 02:31
sooo...how im i supposed to make a "fizzing" plasma ball(that i turn to face the camera all the time so it looks like a sphere...)

or is there a way to convert the animation to images?(or do that weird thing where every step is in one shot...)

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2004 17:14 Edited at: 21st May 2004 17:15
Hi Magellan, you asked me in the other thread to come to this one so I have.

If you send the animation you are trying to get to work to my email, kangaroo2@quikly.com , I'll split it into frames for you then send you details of how I did it and a source code to make DBPro play it as an animation.

Out of interest, what did you make the animation in and what form is it in? AniGif, Mpg, Avi, etc.

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the apocalypse comes, email me
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2004 17:50 Edited at: 21st May 2004 17:50
i'm using ExGen(lite) and it's in .avi format

do you know how to make a consistint "fizzle" in ExGen? Becuase all i have right now is a "thick" explosion that i loop...and i want a consistint "fizzle"...

[edit] so what i'm saying is that what i have right now is not what i want to use in the end

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:30:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:30:43