Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / SOLO: take part in the poll (and get your name in the credits)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 20:34
Hey all (I'm back)
Right I'm making an FPS called SOLO and I need a bit of user input because as we all know, the public is always right. I've come to a bit of a dilemma(spelling), do I include a level editor or not and I need your votes. I could put my own level editor in which would give people the chance to make there own levels for the game but half the people that play the game (you people) will already have access to some kind of level editor anyhoo and the one that I made would be pretty crappy. If I didn't include a level editor I could use a commercial one like Cart Shop or DeleD (when it implements light mapping), thus giving much better results and you people could still use such software to make your own levels.
So what do you want. An FPS with pretty dull levels that's got a very simple level ed or an FPS with no level ed but great levels with all the bells and whistles you could ask for. Please re-ply with a simple level ed or no level ed and all that do re-ply (and actually take part in the pole instead of just hi-jacking it) will have there names in the credits somewhere because you've all be helping to make the game even better.

PREVIOUSLY codemonkey 0gamemad0
ZOMBIES+SHOTGUN= FUN FUN FUN
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 20:49
You need a level editor to make your game. If you end up building one from scratch (a good learning experience before you start on the game proper), I'd include it. Even if you use something else for BSPs, you'll probably end up needing an entity editor/placement tool.
--
TAZ

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 20:57
if people can easily get a cheap/free editor to use with your game engine then just go with that, especially if the level creation will be much more robust and result in kick-arse levels, both for the stock ones that come with the game, and for what users can create. Save yourself the headache of creating one. Unless of course you are on that mission.

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 22:35
What kind of a FPS is it? Indoor? Outdoor? Team-based? Online? Botmatch? What game modes does it have? How many maps will it come with? How large will they be? We need a lot more information .

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2004 00:48
I know you hate it when people do this but I'm gonna have to say bye. I've had a think and decided not to include a level ed because I can't work miracles (not far off though) and I'd rather use a commercial level ed so I knew the levels had the looks, thanks for your help though, looks like time to start writing that list.

PREVIOUSLY codemonkey 0gamemad0
ZOMBIES+SHOTGUN= FUN FUN FUN
Leroy Frederick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2004 00:59 Edited at: 18th May 2004 01:00
Depends, i think you better off giving people the game with cool levels and letting them know where to get to tools that allow them to make their own levels, rather then a FPS with crap levels that people are gonna need to be interested in or having fun with in the first place to want to make levels for!

I would'nt bother making levels for a FPS unless the developer puts in some good levels to show off the fun and potential of the game in the first place , especially when there is plenty of others available
more information would be welcome also, good luck with it also!

Leroy Frederick - Director / Lead Designer
www.ETERNALSYNDROME.com - ETERNAL SYNDROMEâ„¢
“Play Your Emagination!�™
Zenincanin 14
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2004 02:02
I would include a level editor if it's being sold.

Good Games Are Made by Powerful Coders
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2004 03:20
If you're using a commercial level ed, you're probaly gonna be using BSP levels. Right off the bat that's a mistake. Make your own level editor, it's well worth it.

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2004 03:58
if you manage to get it to use gtk-radiant or valve hammer editor reading the entities from there as well as the bsp then you could just tell people where to get that and how to use it with your game

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD athlon thoroughbred 2200, 512Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2004 20:38
make game
see if loads of people like it
ask if they wont to be able to mod it
if YES you have an new project, as level editor

Just to add to the confusion.
Look at my avatar

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 22:39:43