Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Bought FarCry yesterday

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2004 07:34 Edited at: 19th May 2004 07:35
It was kind of a birthday present - It was my 34th on the 13th and my mother sent me £20 - bless her. So I bought FarCry (£27.99)
I am crap at it!!

I have only bought 3 FPS games before this one: Doom ( the first on ), half life and RTCW. I think think they are great - I just can't do them!!

Any one suggest any tips to make a crap gamer a little better?

Is anyone here a FarCry Multiplayer? I haven't tried that yet I think I would get humiliated!

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2004 07:44
Congrats and happy birthday, Scraggle! I would love to try out the full version of that game! By the way, what does RTCW stand for? I've heard of ROTT (Rise of the Triads)

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2004 08:02
congrats, happy birthday!

You forgot to read your fortune cookie. It says you're sh!t out of luck.
Welcome to the Electric Funeral!!!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2004 08:16
happy birthday scraggle
as for FPS, there is just a knack to them really...
turn up the sensitivity on your mouse a little bit so you can react quicker; then basically practise keeping your target in your gun sights while using the A/D Strafe keys.
That's pretty much how you do it, that way you can keep dodging from side to side whilst still blowing the poop outta the bad guys.

Though when your online you have to kinda predict where your enemy is gonna be cause they don't tend to stand still for your to off them

The Future Looks Bright, The Future Looks Like a Short Fat Plumber From The Bronx
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2004 08:32
RTCW = Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Quote: "turn up the sensitivity on your mouse a little bit so you can react quicker"

It's better if you can get used to a lower sensitivity though. Better accuracy in some cases, but I know some people who played at high sensitivities and they were playing well.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2004 11:16
The key to 99% of FPS games is circle-strafing.
That's where you strafe sideways around someone while turing the opposite direction.

It means you keep them in your aim the whole time but you keep moving.
Gir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2004 15:14
Hehe I used to be kick ass at quake3( all tournies on Nightmare), but not played it in ages. As Chris and Raven said strafing is the way to go. I like my mouse sensitivity high, means i can do a 180 dead quick and get them between the eyes I love the rail gun or anything similar.

Happy Birthday btw!

I'm makin' a cake...
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2004 19:05
Thanks all!

Practice is the way ahead it seems. I will practice the strafing thing and play around with the mouse sensitivty.

I just got PCFormat magazine and there is a section on making a map for FarCry so I think I will try and make a really easy one player map so that I can practice on that

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2004 19:14
i like my sensitivity jacked up....besides strafing one important thing is hiding behind stuff so you don't get shot

also: KEEP MOVING!

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2004 23:06
Make sure you're using mouselook and have a good control layout. You should be able to press all the movement keys (turning not included), jump, and do a few other game-specific important actions without moving your keyboard hand. This is why WSAD is so good, it's surrounded by other keys to use . Keep moving and keep alert, too !

And happy B-Day !

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2004 23:45
circle strafe is an essential trick, set the arrow keys to walk you sideways and then practise walking sideways and using the mouse to circle some low level opponents while you shoot em, I found killing em at long range then backing off to stop hosts of them chaseing you works well, they are pretty dumb, so just stalk em and keep nibbling away at the edges, the main bugbear are the rocket launcher guys, you often need to die several times to find out where they are firing from since the rockets apparently travel faster than sound, also, getting a tree or rock between opponents and you makes them lose contact, and they home in on sound, so when you shoot someone, relocate ASAP, you can draw em to one point with some fire and be up the slope overlooking them by the time they get there, sniper ammo is most useful, clear the area then use "v" to lie down and snipe out the bad guys on max zoom, later levels get insane though, VERY hard and IMO silly, the last few levels are harder than the whole game, I`m still stuck on fighting my way through trijan central with no ammo after being thrown from a helicopter, as if I would have survived a one thousand foot fall with no chute anyway.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster, ups.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2004 08:47
Thanks

I could do with a very specific tip now if anyone can help.

I am still on the first part, I have just entered the carrier wreck and I can't see a damn thing, it is just black everywhere and my reload point is in the 'black hole'.

Should I have found a light or something before now or is it supposed to be like that?

Any tips?

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2004 22:34
it shouldn`t be black if you entered through the hole in the bows, I had it crash a lot right after Jack said "damn, I`m sealed in!" so it may be ia bug in the code at that point, I had to go back one level and replay the previous one to get past there, you should have entered through the hole in the bow, someone throws a grenade as you swim towards a hole further in, then you get told jack is trapped and the insider tells him to work his way up through the carrier, I recomend you download the patch from Ubisoft, it gets rid of some annoying bugs, if you got in some other way then I have no idea, sorry (you might like to turn up the brightness on your monitor...you may find it`s not as black as you think).

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster, ups.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2004 03:10
Oh dear it's getting spoiled for me already I never could resist the temptation of reading on.

Mentor-> .

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2004 19:24
Thanks.

I must have entered the wreck at the right place because there is a cut scene telling me to 'work my way to the top'.

Mouse, don't worry - this is still on the training level and I doubt my FPS skills will let me get much further.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 22:39:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 22:39:05