Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Should I Go To College?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Or should I teach myself through DarkBasic?

I want to become a game developer someday, but where should I start? Is college really worth it, or can you learn as much thru tutorials? BTW I have no clue wtf I'm doing in DarkBasic Pro. How long did it take you guys to make ur first game?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2004 17:57
you should go to college anyway

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
Scarlek
Years of Service
User Offline
know it too well will find it hard securing a job in the PC games market. (Of course you could go mobile phone, console or set-top box but I'm betting PC is your preferred route.)

Once you've finished all that, you should have a good idea as to:

a) Which side of development you really want to be in.
b) What it takes to make a game.

You'll also have accumulated a decent portfolio of game design docs, 3d artwork, levels and hopefully a partially if not complete mod. (You may have also done things like sound, texture or other areas and may prefer to go for a job like that instead.)

Send this lot out as a demo to your local developers and make a speculative application for a role of junior game/level designer. If you're good enough you'll be snapped up and then of course you'll pick up the industry skills you need along the way pending on where your profession takes you.

Generally, most the designers I know all started out this way. They all know enough programming to make working demos and they know a lot about 3D. They all have worked on mobile phone games, digital television games and now computer games. When they begun their careers they were literally mapping out another designers levels for a game already designed. It's like putting together the pieces of a puzzle someone else already made...it's dull but it gets you in.

Before you ask the two obvious questions, no, we have no openings for new staff and my job is to evaluate unsigned games and propose publishing deals with developers in the UK.

Hope it helps. College isn’t a requirement in my opinion. Well, not in the UK at least.

- Creating Games even I would play -
Scarlek
Years of Service
User Offline
Dang it...

Ok, first half reads:

I'm not a coder but I am in the industry. I know a lot of designers, coders and testers etc and barely any of them went to further education.

Self-teaching rules, college is good if you're struggling alone.

Learn how to make 3d models, learn world craft, unreal Ed etc. Then move into the mod scene and try to get in on a mod being made helping with levels, basic coding etc. (At this point you'll need lots of C++ books etc.) Also learn DirectX as game developers who want to make PC games and don't know it too...

- Creating Games even I would play -
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2004 19:09
you should go to college even if you don't learn anything about game making....it's nice to have a backup career

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2004 19:26
live on the welfare / dole etc.
get drunk lot's
don't get bogged down by the day to day crap people call REAL LIVES
say NO to playing by THEIR rules, and don't let yourself become a puppet for the SYSTEM THAT TAKES BUT DOES NOT GIVE!!!

BAHHHHHHHH. go get educated dude!!!!!

parties + booze + females + music = college (with some study here and there, of course!)

it's faster than shite off a hot shovel, honest.
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2004 19:29
then you can live on the dole and get drunk, but do it with a degree!

like most students do. LOL

it's faster than shite off a hot shovel, honest.
Lowly Beginner
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm married with a daughter, so I don't need chicks anymore. Plus I don't drink. So, ummm, yeah... maybe I'll look into Technical colleges.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2004 12:22
I want to go into game development. Which is why I'm in college. At DeVry, I'm not really learning anything specific, nor related to games. I'm learning business application programming, geared towards web development mostly, like java and sql. The style of programming games versus business applications is completely different, but you're still learning how to program. Oh wait, I just read the last post. You're married and have a kid? So most likely, full-time is out of the question for you. If I were you, I'd look into some online courses.
http://www.gameinstitute.com/
I took a C++ course from them, just to get me back with the language. That would actually be the 3rd time I took a beginner c++ course. It was geared towards getting you started with Direct X. Typically $70-$90 a course. If you wanna get into game programming, but dont care about a degree, this is a decent place to start.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Skier Demon
Years of Service
User Offline
You can still go to collage and just program in DarkBasic as a part time hobbie if u want...
Cyberflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 01:30
Im going to college for programming and some engineering. You have to ask yourself whats gonna look better on a resume.

a. I read some tutorials on the internet, and I have made some games and stuff

b. I had 4 years of learning at a technical colloege, my knowlege is not just limited to games and I can prove it to you with this shiney degree here.

(you might not just be making games example: map editors.

also college will teach you how to use maths that are essential to porgarmming

DANGIT NEO, YOU CHANGED THE CODE AND NOW THE MATRIX WONT TEXTURE RIGHT.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 12:20
Quote: "also college will teach you how to use maths that are essential to porgarmming"

Sry, but I can tell you that DeVry sure as heck doesn't. I'm a junior now, and haven't taken anything more advance than Algebra 1 in my first term. And the only math I learned in programming classes was Big O notation.(which still confuses me)

"eureka" - Archimedes
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 12:36
If you work a lot of hours like me you may not have too much of a choice. No need killing yourself pushing too hard. I tried to work 70 hours a week, go to school, and have somewhat of a life and it actually pushed me backwards. I had to drop school and self teach from the beginning. Online courses may not be too bad though. It all depends on your situation.

"People don't fail ..... they stop trying." Specs. P4 2.8GHz 800 FSB | 512MB DDR333
GeForce FX 5200 AGP 256MB | Windows XP Pro Full
eat much pie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 12:57 Edited at: 23rd May 2004 12:58
I'm planning on going to Oxford and getting a PhD in nuclear physics, and I'll be getting a bursery so money isn't a problem.

Solo game development, in my opinion, doesn't bring in much money. Sure, you can make things for programmers and sell them (like the NG collisoin dll), but other than that, there's not much of a market.

Who'd want to pay £15 for an solo-developer game when you could get a £30 game that teams upon teams of experienced gamers have been working on day and night for a few years?

If you want to make games for a living, you need to go to a developer company and get a job, and to get a job at a good developer company you'll need SUPERB skills. Further education is the only thing I can think of that will give you these skills.

So, go to college.

http://www.nuclearglory.com/?i=453288050 : Nuclear Glory, AMAZING COLLISION SYSTEM!
Cyberflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 14:45 Edited at: 24th May 2004 14:45
Quote: "Sry, but I can tell you that DeVry sure as heck doesn't. I'm a junior now, and haven't taken anything more advance than Algebra 1 in my first term. And the only math I learned in programming classes was Big O notation.(which still confuses me)"

The question is. Are you taking the advanced math classes a college can offer or are you just wasting your time with algebra one. Me bieng a freshman at highschool, I've already done my algebra one. Actually I've done it twice (not because I failed, just because Jr. High algebra 1 and Sr. High algebra one are different things.) If your college doesnt have any advanced math courses... you should leave. It sucks. No reason to be there.

DANGIT NEO, YOU CHANGED THE CODE AND NOW THE MATRIX WONT TEXTURE RIGHT.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:32:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:32:03