Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Free-Fire soldier models

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2004 19:00 Edited at: 31st May 2004 11:08
Well, we still haven't stopped on Free-Fire. Here's our latest trooper screenshot. These textures aren't completely final. We're planning on putting a sort of "Starship troopers: Join the faction" take on this.

Any comments on it? The game is making progress, we hope when finished this will be a showing as to what Darkbasic Pro can do.

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Viewsonic, 80GB HD

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2004 19:22
nice...but the eyes look "sleepy"

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2004 19:48
I like the feel of these models a lot. They look quite low poly too which is always good imho especially when they look as nice as this. The texturing is great also, although could be a higher resolution depending on how near these models are gonna be to the screen.

I'm sorry to sound ignorant but what type of game is "Free-Fire" going to be? I can imagine these models being good in a large scale outdoor FPS or a 3quarter down RTS game.

Again, congrats on the detail achieved in such low poly terms. I especially love the style of the gun and the pose of the last shot. Reminds me of the original Half-life screens, crossed with some Halo/breed style armour/helmets, but with a more contemporary war feel. Now I'm just babelling. Anyways, they're good models

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the apocalypse comes, email me
faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2004 21:42 Edited at: 20th May 2004 21:43
Hey, thanks for the comments! I'll tell our texturer about the eyes.

Free-Fire will be a third person multi-player game, and the models onscreen will be pretty small (hence the low polys). You'll be able to jump into hover tanks, mechs and ships and drive them around, chose from three classes, and play the game from two very different sides. Hopefully we'll have a more in depth feature list in the future, but that's about what we have planed now. We'll update when we have the chance.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2004 21:56
Quote: " I'll tell our texturer about the eyes."

now that i look closer at the screenies...i think only the second screenis looks "sleepy" the other two look good, and if the eyes where opened anymore they would look scared

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2004 02:31
Cool that sounds like it'll rock!

As for the eyes, I think the blue of the eye needs to move down, only about 1 pixel, that'll fix it

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the apocalypse comes, email me
Phantom Warrior86
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2004 04:44
if my face were that big i could eat an entire pizza in one bit
just joking thats a great job way better than i could ever model

"Old and weak think you I am, your mistake soon you will learn"
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeh the textures could use a bit of work no affence and these models do look very low poly but could be allot better detailed withought a huge increase in polys.

[href]www.vapourhost.com/~flyer[/href]
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought that this was a topic for free models of Firemen!!! lol!
They look good! You could use a few different textures though. They would look better with three styles of camoflage so that it does not look repeated.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2004 13:54
The models look fine, but the texture is a bit ropey. It needs to be higher res, and it needs a lot of detail work. Don't try and put all the detail in at one time, like maybe add some stitching and pockets, then some wear and tear. You'll be glad you spent the extra time on the texture I promise you.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2004 18:20
We've been working on this one, the texture is getting more detail. But we're going for low low poly's. It won't really matter too much for this guy or many of the units as you will see them from a 3rd person view, or possibly top down. Thanks for the comments. We'll put up new screens soon.

Tanifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow these are awesome models. I cant wait to see the game. Hope that all goes well.
faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 00:47 Edited at: 24th May 2004 04:36
Here are a few new pictures of our newer, better skin (sorry if this guy is starting to get on your nerves- we're working on a few other models that we'll be able to show off soon. Promise. Plus, we were running around a map yesterday (a map made in our own editor, no less)with this trooper, animations and all, so screenshots are probably not too far away)

PICS!

BACKPACK!

GUN!

Damn our texturer is good.

Oh, and this is about the size he'll be in game:

TINY!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, the texture looks worse than before because it has pink in it.

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 03:11
Yup, got that whole girlie thing goin' on!

@Aluminium Pork (this is the correct spelling, my brain gets all confused and reboots if I try to spell it american style). Get your texture artist sorted out or he'll get a slap with a wet fish for making your otherwise nice low poly characters look bad by giving them the barbie look.

I hope to see an early beta of your game soon!

muchos regardos amigos.

faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 04:24 Edited at: 24th May 2004 04:41
Heh, my bad. Fix that...

Ok, the pink is gone. Not entirely sure what I did, but I think it has something to do with being colorblind. (That is: I was messing around with the textures and forgot to revert to the old, good one before taking the screenies. So no beating on our poor texture artist- he had nothing to do with it.)

Oh- he also looks around and smokes now. Once I get some decent animations I'll post a .avi file so you can check it out and crit me. I'll probably do that for all my models and A-man's (code name I just randomly thought up for our texture artist) skins.
faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 04:56 Edited at: 24th May 2004 04:56
Whoops, looks like I missed a few spots in my repost- still some pink lingering around. Think it's fixed now though:

Yeah...
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 07:08
Was that a joke? I seriously can't tell.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 15:52
Quote: " Was that a joke? I seriously can't tell."

faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 16:11
No, I was completely serious.
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 16:34
brilliant dude, totally original!!!

I LOVE IT!!!

you should take your whole game and give it that style. change the name to METRO-SEXUAL FREE FIRE. (could be huge)

bringing humor to games is a great thing, if it makes you laugh, then it has that 'Feel Good' factor.

regards, geecee3

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
If you're really colour blind then I would leave the texture alone. Now it's nearly all pink.

AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 00:10 Edited at: 25th May 2004 00:11
Alright, sorry for all this weirdness. Here is an WMV file of the animation for the trooper. There are two idles (what he does when not moving), running, shoot (quick), and stop.

http://www.frostyle.com/media/short_videos/anim.wmv

He has a newer texture as well.
It's a small 1meg file.

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 00:52
Wow. I must say that animation is very impressive. The body moves really well, fluid, lifelike. I like it. I like it a lot. Im going to save that animation.

Really, those are great. The smoking one is fantastic and theres just something good about the running one. Keep going like this and youre onto a winner

Good luck

AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 03:07
heh, thanks for the compliments! It's really nice to hear those sort of things. What do you all think of the texture when it's in motion. I think it looks pretty good, but I suppose it's all opinion. We're in a real good media mood right now and are creating it like crazy.

Thanks for the comments. I can't wait till we can release something playable, should be a while still though.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah the animation is pro!!!

faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 04:56
Hey, thanks guys! I'll keep at those animations, gald to hear you like them. I'll keep posting the progress the texturer and I make, and I promise that there won't be any more pink.
Tanifu
Years of Service
User Offline
I like the animations. It's looking really good can't wait to see final product. Keep up the good work.
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 23:30 Edited at: 25th May 2004 23:32
[/img]Not that it has anything to do with models, but I want to show off my new unit system for the game. It's a simple way to add/remove and edit the properties of units. I plan on adding health/speed, etc stats to the properties window.

Some screenshots:

-the main window, add remove units-

-the properties window, edit animations, sounds, texture and test all of the above, this window looks almost identical to the add unit window-

I'm currently working on the loading function to get these units in the game properly. I'm basically re-doing the engine from scratch to accommodate for some new dynamic ideas I've been having. As in making these tools so the game is easily moddable. Much like the 3rd party tools for GTA3, except these tools will be released with the game.

Thanks for the comments.

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2004 01:40
I like the way the edit unit window looks - and all I can say about the modding aspect is - good thinking, Batman. Moddability is, in my opinion, an absolute must have for games these days. Players dont just want to be play the game, they want to be part of it. Plus is gives loads of replay value. Good luck with this, I cant wait to see how it turns out

faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2004 06:12 Edited at: 26th May 2004 06:17
UNTEXTURED MODELS AHOY!

Today was quite productive, I got two models finished and uved one, so our texture artist should be working on the Ranger's texture right now. Anyway, here's a few pics of the units I have done:

Size comparisons for all the UNA (pronounced U - N - A) units I have done:

The rather large Atlas mech:

And the Ranger, which is pretty much a Hummer on crack:

Both the Ranger and the Atlas barely go over 1000 polys, and I should have the atlas UVed soon. Thats all for today.

(Oh, and we'll have something on the story soon. I think our writer(is that what we should call her?) has something like 24 pages of story done or something equaly astronomical. And I need to go to sleep. I've listened to the same damn CD, which is about 45 minuets long, about 9 times, and it is beging to drive me insane. Goodnight)
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2004 18:09
Whoah, my server is down. NOOOO, what happened. I'll have to have a chat with IXWebhosting.

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2004 18:40
Woah, I like the ranger, and the Atlas looks like ED-209 with a big nose. Very nice. Make sure you post the story up when its ready, I love a good read

faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2004 19:21 Edited at: 26th May 2004 19:39
Hey, thanks for the comment: mind telling me what a ED-209 is? Hope I didn't make it TOO similar...

(Oh, its that thing from robo-cop. Yeah, I guess that they do look a little similar, but no too much. I actually was inspired by the Titans from C&C:Tiberium Sun, if you've ever played it you'll see the relationship.)

(Actually, it looks a LOT like the ED-209. How the heck did that happen? I wasn't even thinking about the stupid thing, and I only saw it about three pictures of it. Grrrrrr... stupid...

Sorry, I hate when things I make look similar to other things. Which makes it hard to design anything, but whatever. Anyone have any ideas to make it look more unique?)
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2004 23:26 Edited at: 26th May 2004 23:29
Well to be honest its only a vague resemblance, in my opinion. ED-209 had arms on which his guns were fixed, whereas this resembles a walking tank much more. Personally I think its fine, give it a camo style texture rather than a gray metal one and youll be fine.

[edit]

Here, see:

AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 00:04 Edited at: 27th May 2004 00:12
Wellllll, this tool is now complete. It makes it soooo much easier to edit and add units. The game pulls it in dynamicly, so anyone can change unit details easily.

-too many text boxes!!!- lol

There is another screen which is not completed yet which will be built to edit unit stats (health, speed, jump ability, etc. etc.)

Any comments? Anything I'm missing?

faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 00:05
Quote: "Well to be honest its only a vague resemblance, in my opinion. ED-209 had arms on which his guns were fixed, whereas this resembles a walking tank much more. Personally I think its fine, give it a camo style texture rather than a gray metal one and youll be fine. "

Ok, that was the plan anyway.

For some more eye candy:

A quick texture on the ranger:

And the atlas looking around, for no reason other then I thought he looked cool.

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 02:21
Wow, the ranger model looks nice. Cool Atlas poses too. That app for editing the units is a great idea and Im sure itll speed up development. Similar to the sort of thing Rockstar released for editing vehicles and such. Can I ask what it was made with? Did you use DBPro and Blue?

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 04:42
The Models and animation look very very nice

...but the textures are ass-tastic

Amist the Blue Skies...
faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 06:11 Edited at: 27th May 2004 06:17
The textures are very far from being compleated: especialy the ranger. Give it a few weeks, our texture artist knows what he's doing. However: you mind telling us what exactly makes the textures "ass-tastic"? For example, are they lacking detail? Wear and tear? Saying that they're "ass-tastic" helps us little, so I'd appreciate if you could try and figure out what makes them "bad". We want to make this game as good as we can, so any crits you have are important.

EDIT: W007! 2 pages!!!!!
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 08:02 Edited at: 27th May 2004 08:02
@moonshine: I actually used LibertyBasic 3.03 for the app, I'm using that for all external programs, as it is much easier to handle the Windows GUI with it. Everything for the apps is able to be written faster with LibertyBasic. http://www.libertybasic.com

But it is definetly not built for 3D or pretty much games in general. That's where DBPro comes in.

Thanks for the interest.

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 18:06
Cheers, thanks for the answer. BTW, Im a little bored right now, supposed to be revising for college exams but I just dont feel up to it yet. I got an A* and A for art and graphics when I finished school, if you want to send me any textures to have a mess with I will. Only if you want to though. My email is pyskick@hotmail.com. I do have a few 3d packages aswell, if you want to package any up in a zip for me to texture I can do that (be aware of 2meg email limit).

If you want to keep it to your team only then I understand fully, no worries.

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 18:40
looking real good,
very nice models, ideal polycount, NICE.

well done guys, your game is sure to be a big hit with the forum massive. mabey some time soon we'll all be blasting the multiplayer crap out of each other ( in a nice friendly way of course ) using your game as the transport. ( a full on forum war !!! )

regards, geecee3

PS. please include a first person view, so we can have some down the barrell skull cracking.

faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 18:55 Edited at: 27th May 2004 18:56
Hey Moonshine, thanks for the offer. I think we're going to try to keep everything within our team, but If we ever need any help you'll be the first person we contact. Thanks for your interest in our game, it keeps us working. (BTW: That sig made by you? that thing rocks)

geecee3: Don't worry man, there will be some first person moments. What they are we're keeping secret for right now.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 18:58
Thats fine, anytime you need help just drop me a line. And the sig was made by mussi, but its soon to change when I make my own, so watch this space

Cyberflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 22:51
Where is your team located anyway?

IF your rolling along the ocean in you jet ski and the wheels fall off. Do you still have enough pancakes to cover a doghouse?

Purple, because icecream has no bones.
faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 23:55 Edited at: 28th May 2004 00:01
We're all located in Duluth, MN in the USA. It's cold here.

The atlas is textured and almost finished. I have its animation started, and I'll post an AVI when I'm done. In the meantime:

The Atlas, textured:

And its front and back, midway through its walk animation:

Thats all for now.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 02:28
Pretty good

Tanifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow I like the Atlas. Are you guys gonna have any other textures, becuase there is more then just jungle. Like street of desert.
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 22:27 Edited at: 28th May 2004 22:28
Quote: ". However: you mind telling us what exactly makes the textures "ass-tastic"? For example, are they lacking detail? Wear and tear? Saying that they're "ass-tastic" helps us little, so I'd appreciate if you could try and figure out what makes them "bad". We want to make this game as good as we can, so any crits you have are important. "

Sorry, I thought it would be apparent.

Your textures are rather low res and appear to be somewhat pixelated.

In general, the textures have a "fuzzy" appearance to them

Amist the Blue Skies...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 14:57:40
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 14:57:40